Bluebook value of JAMO CL 30A Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bluebook value of JAMO CL 30A Speakers?

stevef22
04-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Can anyone tell me when these speakers were made and what the going rate is for these? A local seller is getting rid of a pair. Not sure if JAMO is a good brand. I know they got bought out by Klipshe.... I think.

stevef22
04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Hrmm, Anyone ever heard of Jamo Company?

pixelthis
04-07-2008, 01:19 AM

they are more popular in Europe than over here.
Forget what country of origin is, but they are a "quality" speaker, of course like all speakers the actual sound is a matter of choice:1:

Ancoor
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Felt and urge to tell you that I do have those speakers... A friend gave them to me because his wife didn't like the big black boxes... That was over 5 years ago..

Found this link... Those loudspeakers was made 1991 - 1992
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158161

markw
05-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Hrmm, Anyone ever heard of Jamo Company?Does that satisfy you?

Now, about having some idea about their value on the used market, that's a different story. I have no idea and, somehow, methinks others are in the same boat.

You might want to take it upon yourself to scout ebay, Audiogon or other venues where used goods are sold.

Does this answer your questions?

frenchmon
05-09-2008, 03:12 PM

There is a place down here in Durham/Raliegh North Carolina that sells Jamo. Last fall I sat and listened to the Jamo C809, C807, C805 and the C803 Book shelve speakers. I was very inpressed with the performance and sound of these speakers, and actually have them on a short list. They are a forward sounding speaker but not bright. They have a great bottom end with very noticable mids. They where also a great looking speaker as well.

frenchmon

nightflier
05-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Jamo CL-30A speakers were made in 1991-92 and sold for $600, then (about $1200 in today's dollars). They are actually a fairly good 3-way speaker with an 8" woofer. I remember Jamo used to do blind tests against Klipsch speakers at audio shows and most people picked the Jamo speaker - probably because they were smoother overall. They advertised in American magazines for a while and were sold in lower-volume retail channels (MicroCenter computer stores was one place I remember seeing them). They are no longer sold in the US and after a few years of trying to break into the market they gave up - they remind me of the Renault Alliance car fiasco.

They have also lost a lot of ground in Europe and I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore. Some of their higher-end speakers were well reviewed, but they never really stood out from the pack. The design was typically Danish - understated and simple - and they probably would have been a good fit with an Ikea-type clientele. Ho-hum sound and ho-hum looks doesn't make for commercial success. With boring sounding model numbers and way too many models to choose from, you could say they misunderstood the average American consumer.

Used, they are sold on eBay and Audiogon for a fraction of their retail price - the CL-30As are probably worth about $80-100, although Audiogon bumps that figure up somewhat. The low value is mostly because they aren't really available here anymore - so servicing them will be impossible unless you're willing to ship. That said, speakers rarely go bad and can have a useful life of 20-30 years, so if you can get a decent pair that hasn't been abused, it's probably a good deal. They are not exactly efficient speakers, but any decent 50+ watt receiver should be able to drive them just fine.

Hope this helps.

frenchmon
05-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Jamo CL-30A speakers were made in 1991-92 and sold for $600, then (about $1200 in today's dollars). They are actually a fairly good 3-way speaker with an 8" woofer. I remember Jamo used to do blind tests against Klipsch speakers at audio shows and most people picked the Jamo speaker - probably because they were smoother overall. They advertised in American magazines for a while and were sold in lower-volume retail channels (MicroCenter computer stores was one place I remember seeing them). They are no longer sold in the US and after a few years of trying to break into the market they gave up - they remind me of the Renault Alliance car fiasco.

They have also lost a lot of ground in Europe and I'm not even sure if they are in business anymore. Some of their higher-end speakers were well reviewed, but they never really stood out from the pack. The design was typically Danish - understated and simple - and they probably would have been a good fit with an Ikea-type clientele. Ho-hum sound and ho-hum looks doesn't make for commercial success. With boring sounding model numbers and way too many models to choose from, you could say they misunderstood the average American consumer.

Used, they are sold on eBay and Audiogon for a fraction of their retail price - the CL-30As are probably worth about $80-100, although Audiogon bumps that figure up somewhat. The low value is mostly because they aren't really available here anymore - so servicing them will be impossible unless you're willing to ship. That said, speakers rarely go bad and can have a useful life of 20-30 years, so if you can get a decent pair that hasn't been abused, it's probably a good deal. They are not exactly efficient speakers, but any decent 50+ watt receiver should be able to drive them just fine.

Hope this helps.

Jamo is sold all over America and never left America. Just go to Jamo web site and see all the places they are sold. And their latest flag ship speaker, the Reference 909 has won a few awards. They merged with Klipsh speaker company a few years ago. IF they where not making money it would not have happened. I listened to about 4 or 5 different models a while back and they sounded and looked wonderful.

frenchmon

nightflier
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Jamo is sold all over America and never left America. Just go to Jamo web site and see all the places they are sold. And their latest flag ship speaker, the Reference 909 has won a few awards. ...

I checked the website and you can still buy Jamo, mostly from smaller outfits and home installers, so I guess they are still around. No major retailers that I recognized, though. And the other troubling detail is that their value on the used market is a fraction of the new price. But yes, they are available in the US and they are decent speakers. And apart from their reference line, still minimalist looking models, if you ask me. Used, I'm sure they are a fine value, but I would be hesitant to pay top dollar for them.