New listens [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New listens

3-LockBox
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Yael Naim - her song, New Soul, is used on an Apple/Mac commercial, but don't hold that against her. Similar to Feist, but less rock influenced, more international, what with her fluence in singing in French and Hebrew (her native tongue). She also sings, of course, in English. Breezy, but not in a dismissive way like so much background music. Great voice and great musical performances and production. She even pulls off an etherial, sexy, non-acid-house cover of Britney Spears' Toxic. I doubt she'll get terribly popular in US circles because of her penchant for singing in different languages, but this way, she'll never do duets with Common, Kanye West or special guest whore, Rob Thomas.

Ray Davies - Working Man's Cafe. Been a long time since I spent any time with the ex-Kink, maybe since he was a Kink. Looking back, I guess he's stuck around, but I think this is the first time I've heard a solo album of his. And I don't know why I haven't kept in touch. I really like this album. As always, smart, dry wit, catchy hooks, and bite. Only more mature and world weary, if that's possible for this guy. This album is not unlike what you'd expect from the Kinks circa that late 70s. Its also very topical, as he seems to be sympathetically lamenting a vanishing Americana, what with his take on the outsourcing of American jobs in Vietnam Cowboys. He also references post-hurriKane New Orleans in another song. Glad to see him back in top form.

Sara Bareilles - Little Voice - She's got a big voice actually, and yes, she's prolly a cookie cutter, piano songstress ala Alicia Keys or Nora Jones, not that's she sounds like either of those two, but you know, those two went gangbusters, so the 'suits' went and combed the country sides with cut-outs. I actually like this album though. She not edgy enough to warrant comparisons to Fiona Apple or Tori Amos. Think Natasha Bedingfeld w/ piano, or think Vanessa Carlton with less chops, but better writing and vocals. (Vanessa is that really young thing that plays the hell out of a piano, but her big hit, Thousand Miles, blatantly plagerizes the theme from Magnificant Seven...I digress). My daughter like Sara a lot so I spent some time listening to Bareilles on the YouTube. Then I ordered the CD. Competent, painless, piano driven pop. I figure I may as well get the debut albums from little sh!ts like this, because if they get popular, their next albums will have several 'guest rappers' on it.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr Peabody
04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I just got an album by a band called Phideaux called Feendish. I don't quite know what category they'd be in. So far I like the album. They are sort of a blend of Alternative, Folk with traces of Classic Rock.

I also picked up Wishbone Ash, Argus and Mike Oldfield's, Music of the Spheres. Oldfield does his thing with Classical music on this one, it should be interesting.

bobsticks
04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the Ray Davies rec. This is one of the better albums of the year that I might well have skipped out on if not for this post.

JohnMichael
04-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for Yael Naim. I was wondering whose voice that was in the commercial. I made the mistake of buying Feist thinking it might be her. Now I need to find a cd by Yael Naim.