How many albums does it take you to "catch on" to something new? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How many albums does it take you to "catch on" to something new?

thereyet
04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I am just listening to a band I have never heard before...The Helio Sequence. I am really digging them after sampling from the four albums they have released since 1999.

It seems I don't put much stock in a band until they have recorded 3-4 albums. When I go into the record store and flip through the bins of Indie music I have never heard of 94% of what I see and really have no desire to try and listen to the majority of it all. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what I do pick up. There is just soooooo much out there.

It is kinda like trying to pick up the latest hottest rookie baseball card...most don't pan out.

Which brings me back to the 3-4 albums before I really take notice. Is that how it is for anyone else?

Another band I just found out about is Kings of Leon....and guess what? Four studio albums to date. Is this just a coincidence? Or is that typical for a band to gain a wider audience after so many discs to the discography?

Just musing on this...

thereyet

3-LockBox
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">It depends. A lot of of artists put out their best efforts early on then dry up. Some improve their song craft after a few albums. But like you, I've come to enjoy many acts' latest efforts more so than their lesser-known, hip, indie stages; bands like The Shins, Modest Mouse, and The Flaming Lips come to mind.

Most of the time I'm so far behind the curve that by the time I discover something 'new', it ain't so new really. I'm just not 'hip' that way. Tragically un-hip, if you will.

But...I feel good about it.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

OzzieAudiophile
04-05-2008, 05:06 AM
I found out that it takes only 1 CD for me to get into something 'new'. Obviously I would
listen to some samples of a CD before I end up buying it. There are websites which
offer 30 second samples of each song. That is very handy. IF the song is good enough
1 song is enough reason for me to buy the whole CD.

Example - Dido White Flag, you have to hear her sing that on a great hifi system.

Yeah this is likely to be one of those, "depends on the listener" as to how many
albums before getting into something new.

There's also the question, how many albums does it take to get into a new style or
genre of music. That is more of a grey area. Depends on what you constitute as how
many albums must you own to claim you are into "THIS" genre ? 2, 5, 10 albums ?
Perhaps it must be at least a certain percentage of your CD collection.
Then again if you are a person that has 2 CDs, that makes it difficult lol.

thereyet
04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
rarely does a debut album even come on to my radar screen. I don't usually take notice or "discover" a band until they have been around four 3-4 albums. Then I am happy to go back and listen to the entire discography and often find that I like early works just fine, sometimes even better then the later works, taking Radiohead as an example. Their earlier works ala the Bends, and Pablo Honey to me are more basic ROCK then you get into the more experimental electronic work with OK Computer and Kid A.

Actually I like an artist that continually reinvents itself. Like David Bowie or Elvis Castello or even Neil Young. I might not always like what they reinvent themselves to, but respect their efforts at change.

I am also very wary of the flash in the pan, one good number bands. I just feel ripped off if I buy something based on that one catchy item on the radio only to find out the rest of the CD SUCKS. I think that is why I don't jump onto the band wagon too early. They gotta prove themselves first and that sometimes takes years.

I listen to music more like a turtle then the rabbit.

thereyet

Jim Clark
04-05-2008, 07:32 AM
rarely does a debut album even come on to my radar screen. I don't usually take notice or "discover" a band until they have been around four 3-4 albums.

That's the beauty of this site, you don't have to discover it, you can just glom on like I do :5: :5:

I've been an early adapter to so much music that folks on this site have turned me on to. We all have our general likes and dislikes and after a while you kind of get a feel for what may be worth looking into. Over the years I've been turned on to hundreds upon hundreds of great albums by the folks on this board.

Nowtwist
Lali Puna
Electric President
Woven Hand
The Lucksmiths
The Faint
De/Vision
Wolfsheim
The Frank and Walters
The Wrens
The Doves
The National

I could seriously go on and on.

jrhymeammo
04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
This is very true for me, since I've been mainly Jazz kinda guy, but one of my favorite albums right now is Calexico and Iron and WIne. I guess Sam Beam's been producing albums way before Shepherd's Dog. I thank bobsticks on this one.

JRA

bobsticks
04-05-2008, 01:06 PM
This is very true for me, since I've been mainly Jazz kinda guy, but one of my favorite albums right now is Calexico and Iron and WIne. I guess Sam Beam's been producing albums way before Shepherd's Dog. I thank bobsticks on this one.

JRA

For everything "indie" I just wait 'til Davey says it's cool (cause he has better taste than Swish). For everything else I just buy it based on the cover art.

Seriously, with jazz and classical I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for when I leave the house. For other genres I have this great store with listening posts all over the place making it very easy to sample.

bobsticks
04-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Ooops, to stay on topic, there is no rhyme or reason to my purchasing habits, so it's kinda hard to say. I tend to know what I like right off the bat. There have been few notable exceptions in which an album "has grown on me over time".

thereyet
04-06-2008, 09:06 AM
That's the beauty of this site, you don't have to discover it, you can just glom on like I do :5: :5:

I've been an early adapter to so much music that folks on this site have turned me on to. We all have our general likes and dislikes and after a while you kind of get a feel for what may be worth looking into. Over the years I've been turned on to hundreds upon hundreds of great albums by the folks on this board.

Nowtwist
Lali Puna
Electric President
Woven Hand
The Lucksmiths
The Faint
De/Vision
Wolfsheim
The Frank and Walters
The Wrens
The Doves
The National

I could seriously go on and on.

This is what I am learning quickly from this site. Thanks for the list, Jim.

And will be looking for what Davey recommends, bobsticks!

thereyet

BradH
04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I am just listening to a band I have never heard before...The Helio Sequence.

I totally flipped out on their first disc. I think it's as good as anything from the 90's whether it's Blur or Flaming Lips or anything. Stereolab...you name it.

I heard their 2nd one wasn't so hot and I lost track of them.

thereyet
04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I totally flipped out on their first disc. I think it's as good as anything from the 90's whether it's Blur or Flaming Lips or anything. Stereolab...you name it.

I heard their 2nd one wasn't so hot and I lost track of them.

I think you need to go back and check them out again.

Listen to the Harmonica Song from Love and Distance...2004. And they have a new release this year that I really like...Keep Your Eyes Ahead . Enjoy!

thereyet

SlumpBuster
04-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I just bought my first CSNY record, so apparently it takes alot of records to get my attention.

Seriously though. Lots o' good bands had one or two great records only to disappear. Here's some British ones:

The Space Monkeys

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnsz-Ogji30&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnsz-Ogji30&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

White Dove
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRxtydeeTYo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRxtydeeTYo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Stone Roses
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4bHMVAKDao&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k4bHMVAKDao&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kula Shaker
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oA0aikxt-r8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oA0aikxt-r8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>