Reputable place to purchase speakers online? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Reputable place to purchase speakers online?

acqui
03-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Specifically, Energy, B &W, Dynaudio etc. Does anyone know of any reputable dealers that should ship to NYC? I went to a high end audio places here and they treated me as if I was an idiot and what I was hearing wasn't "true audiophile" sound, rather their own opinions and explanations. Both places also had an attitude when I said that I thought my fathers' Ohm Walsh 5 speakers sounded better than the PSB's he was trying to sell me. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

markw
03-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Do thyself a favor and hie thee buttox to http://www.audioconnect.com/ in Verona, NJ.

Set up an appointment with John Rutan. He'll not talk down to you.

Please, please don't buy speakers without careful listening. Even a great name might be distasteful to you in the long (or even short) run.

acqui
03-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Mar, yes, I am in NYC. I wouldn't purchase them without listening as I've listened to a few and really like the Vandersteens, Dynaudio, and some of the BW stuff. I would like to listen to Mirage however as I heard they are similar in sound to the Ohm Walsh, which my parents have and I absolutely love. I've also heard the Magnepans but would like smaller speakers because I live in a NYC apt.