When music heros jump the shark [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When music heros jump the shark

3-LockBox
04-04-2008, 08:01 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"> Oh don't worry...nothing serious here

I was rummaging through some old junk a few months ago and ran across an old tape case...quite a few good memories in it, but over all, quite a few, "what was I thinking" moments as well, like Quiet Riot - III, Ratt - Invasion Of Your Privacy, Judas Preist - Turbo, Asia - Alpha, GTR...and then there it was, my tape copy of Steve Miller's Abracadabra; a 'shark jumper' of an album if there ever was one. I actually only have a tape player in one of my vehicles, so I played it in total privacy. It woulda made a decent enough Paul McCartney album actually. Funny thing, I bought this tape a couple of years after I bought the LP, so it wasn't like I hated it, but after I started visiting Miller's older albums, I realized he had lost it on this thing. After owning Miller's Greatest Hits 74-78 (who didn't own that one) I decided to buy his album propers upon a recommendation from one of my new Navy buddies. So I bought The Joker, Fly Like An Eagle, Swingtown; I already had Circle Of Love on vinyl, but bought it on tape, and to complete the set, bought Abracadabra.

To be honest, some of the tracks on Abracadabra weren't half-bad, if someone else had done them. Some 25 years after the fact, its easy to hear why this album never made it past the title track; Miller only wrote two of these tracks (the title track and the self-plagerizing Give it Up). The rest of the tunes were written by his band members, and with a more believable performance by Miller, maybe they'd have seen more success, but Miller performs these songs like he knew he was smoking a turd. At least he was able to retire off the title track, being it was the biggest selling single of all time, until it was supplanted one year later, by Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Of course this is all subjective, and relative; most older Miller fans believe he jumped the shark with the Joker.

Anyone else have a favorite artist 'jump the shark'?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2008, 09:18 AM
David Bowie's Tonight was a real shark jumper for me. From the time that I discovered Ziggy Stardust, around 1978, I couldn't get enough of Bowie and listened to everything that he released before and after Ziggy. When Let's Dance came out in 83, I could feel him setting up the shark tank. It may have been his biggest commercial success, but I felt like someone had sucked all the edge out of him. When Tonight hit the streets with the Blue Jeanie leading the way, Bowie successfully completed that jump IMO. I never liked much that he did after that, until Reality was released in 2003. It took him 20 years to finish that jump and land safely on ground.

All my personal opinion of course. I know people who love the stuff that he did in the 80's and 90's.

Hyfi
04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Not sure what jump the shark means but wanted to comment on SM. I used to have a rare album, still on cassette, that was an extended version of Abracadabra on one side and a 20 minute live jam of Macho City on the other. Plain black sleeve with no other info.

Anyone ever com across this one?

kexodusc
04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
You're my Turbo Lover 3LB.

In recent memory, one I was really disappointed with - Stabbing Westward's self titled album. WTF?

Didn't really like PF's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" either, but after a few decades you're entitled to wonder off track...

Swish
04-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Not sure what jump the shark means but wanted to comment on SM. I used to have a rare album, still on cassette, that was an extended version of Abracadabra on one side and a 20 minute live jam of Macho City on the other. Plain black sleeve with no other info.

...when, in an episode that was basically the sign of their downfall, the greaser character known as Fonzie actually "jumped the shark.". It was a pathetic episode and pretty much was the beginning of the end for the show. So, when someone mentioned that a band 'jumped the shark; they are claiming the band recorded a record that basically sucked and marked the end of their 'quality' years or whatever.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM

Essentially what Swish said, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark).

Troy
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark

McCartney: Wings at the Speed Of Sound
The Who: Face Dances
Elton John: Rock of the Westies
Talking Heads: Little Creatures
Yes: Tormato
Genesis: And Then There Were 3
Jethro Tull: A
They Might Be Giants: John Henry
Rush: Hold Your Fire
Flintstones: The arrival of The Great Gazoo

Mr Peabody
04-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Shows what I know, I could never stand that song Abracadabra.

Good example with The Great Kazoo but I'll have to disagree with Jethro Tull since I believe Broadsword and Crest of A Knave came aft. Also the Christmas album is excellent for those who like JT in their day. Broadsword is one of my favorite JT albums though it's a bit of a departure in musical style. I didn't like "A" when it first came out but I bought the remaster with the DVD, I accepted it better but it may be because I watched the DVD first which I thought was incredible.

I didn't realize that was where "jump the shark" came from. You'd think if they coined a new phrase with that episode that some one would have warned them to keep Joni Met Cha Chee in the can :)

What about Styx with the Mr Robotto album?
ZZ Top sort of jumped, bounced and fell with everything after Eliminator.
Argueably Clapton with the MTV unplugged thing.

bobsticks
04-05-2008, 02:54 PM
It has been argued that Miles jumped the shark with "Tutu".

Luvin Da Blues
04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
The Doobie Bros when Micheal McDonald joined. Can't recall the album but they started on the downhill slide towards R&B/Soul with him IMO. Don't get me wrong here, I like R&B and Micheal McDonald but it's not the DB I grew up with.

Another one is Fleetwood Mac. There's not one particular album but they had been on a downward spiral for a long time.

Luvin Da Blues
04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
What about Styx with the Mr Roboto album? Yep

ZZ Top sort of jumped, bounced and fell with everything after Eliminator. Yep,only concert I ever walked out on.

Argueably Clapton with the MTV unplugged thing. I would argue this one, I think it's great.

Mr Peabody
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
OK, if not Unplugged then definitely that album with My Father's Eyes, what a bomb that was. Don't get me wrong, I am a Clapton fan. I haven't heard his last Blues release though.

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 03:13 AM
OK, if not Unplugged then definitely that album with My Father's Eyes, what a bomb that was. Don't get me wrong, I am a Clapton fan. I haven't heard his last Blues release though.

Your thinking Pilgrim. Not his best I agree a little commercial. R U thinking Backhome or The Road to Escondido with JJ Cale?

Mr Peabody
04-06-2008, 04:19 PM
It must be Back Home, I either didn't realize he did an album with Kale or I forgot.

Luvin Da Blues
04-06-2008, 04:25 PM
It must be Back Home, I either didn't realize he did an album with Kale or I forgot.

Worth checkin' out. JJs song writing with ECs pickin', can't be beat IMO.

Feature artist include Billy Preston, Albert Lee, Taj Mahal, John Mayer, Derek Trucks.

http://www.whereseric.com/news/2006/09/guitar-legends-jj-cale-eric-clapton-cd-release-the-road-to-escondido.html