What's up for the weekend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's up for the weekend?

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Got any exciting plans? Music to listen to? Movies to watch? Drinks to drunk?

For me, it's all about getting ready for spring this weekend.

We're hitting the driving range for a little golf practice tonight.
I'm taking my bicycle in for a tune-up tomorrow.
We've got a Lacrosse game tomorrow night (a win will put us in first place).
And our last Curling game of the season on Sunday (where I also expect us to finish in first place).

And if it's as warm as the weather forecast predicts, maybe I'll get a head start on cleaning up the garden.

Rich-n-Texas
04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Not cutting the grass, that's for sure (took care of that chore yesterday). Drinks to drunk, that's a given, spin my brand new copy of R30 again, get my woman's work done ( :ciappa: ), play with my new receiver, watch as my animals find ways to turn my screws, watch UNC KICK ASS, and possibly spend a day with my dear sweet drama queen...errr... niece. That should cover it.

GMichael
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Just had 6 yards of crushed stone delivered this morning. We'll be spreading it around the driveway most of the weekend.

L.J.
04-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Recalibrating my system, taking some room measurements, moving my surrounds, adjusting my sub, adjusting my fronts, recalibrating my display, reorganizing my DVD/BD collection by alphabetical order........just kidding.

probably take my kids to the park and light up the grill while sippin' on something.

kexodusc
04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Ugh...I'm going shopping...for flooring, cabinets, paint, light fixtures, etc etc.

I'm a sad Panda. :(

JSE
04-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Got a portrait gig for our friend's daughter on Sunday evening (no pay since my wife pimped me out :incazzato:) but other than that.......

Absolutely nothing for the first time in a long time! I can't wait.

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Kex, you bought a new house? Congrats!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-04-2008, 09:28 AM
My boys are coming home, so I'll be BBQ'ing for sure. I also have 3 titles to review for Bluray.com, so my face will have a television screen embedded on it. Then I'll just sit around while my boys suck up to me for paying that tuition bill(damn it was alot of money)

basite
04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
since the easter vacation runs to it's end this weekend, I'll probably be doing homework for school :)

and listening to music, of course :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Sunday I get to spend time with my SO. Our schedules have been conflicting and we have not seen each other since Easter. The last time I saw him was on the Sci Fi channel.

Luvin Da Blues
04-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Geez, some of you guys are on this forum so much (me included) I'm surprised you all have time for anything else. :nonod:

Anyway, everyone have a GREAT WEEKEND.

:5: :16: :5:

ForeverAutumn
04-04-2008, 07:45 PM
...The last time I saw him was on the Sci Fi channel.

Huh? :confused5:

JohnMichael
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Huh? :confused5:

He and his home were featured on Ghost Hunters this past Wednesday. He lives in a haunted mansion.

thekid
04-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Well this is the closest I have had to a weekend in about 3 weeks so........

Saturday

Pay bills while listening to tunes......

Set-up my "garage" system i.e. hook up at least 3 pairs of my old speakers that I have just lying around. Nothing of merit other than the TF-500's

Cut the grass

Hit some thrifts

Work on reports while listening to tunes........

Sunday

Visit my father-in-law in the hospital

Maybe score some DCM Timewindow speakers I saw on CL that is on the way to the hospital...Waiting to hear from the owner regarding their condition. Not a high end set but have heard some interesting things about them and vintage DCM is under appreciated IMO.

Take muscle relaxants for my back that will be spasmed from 6 hours of driving, standing in a hospital room and being pissed that I paid $3.25 a gallon for gas during several stops at the pump

Listen to some tunes....while doing more reports

Throw alarm clock into wall when I realize it is Monday........... :)

bobsticks
04-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Just now feeling in proper form from Friday night, mostly due to heavy doses of Terence Blanchard, John Coltrane, and the new REM.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/photo/photo-x-$7012006$180.jpg

ForeverAutumn
04-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Just now feeling in proper form from Friday night, mostly due to heavy doses of Terence Blanchard, John Coltrane, and the new REM.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/photo/photo-x-$7012006$180.jpg

That new REM is rockin' my socks off. I just wish it were longer. After four years you'd think that they could have come up more than just a half hour of music. But I've been spending my weekend spinning it.

bobsticks
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
That new REM is rockin' my socks off. I just wish it were longer. After four years you'd think that they could have come up more than just a half hour of music. But I've been spending my weekend spinning it.

And I had been as well until this gorgeous day. This was far and away the nicest day we've had around here in six to eight months. Perfect for marching the crew to the patio nad doing our thing downtown. Lovely.

04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Well this is the closest I have had to a weekend in about 3 weeks so........

Saturday

Pay bills while listening to tunes......

Set-up my "garage" system i.e. hook up at least 3 pairs of my old speakers that I have just lying around. Nothing of merit other than the TF-500's

Cut the grass

Hit some thrifts

Work on reports while listening to tunes........

Sunday

Visit my father-in-law in the hospital

Maybe score some DCM Timewindow speakers I saw on CL that is on the way to the hospital...Waiting to hear from the owner regarding their condition. Not a high end set but have heard some interesting things about them and vintage DCM is under appreciated IMO.

Take muscle relaxants for my back that will be spasmed from 6 hours of driving, standing in a hospital room and being pissed that I paid $3.25 a gallon for gas during several stops at the pump

Listen to some tunes....while doing more reports

Throw alarm clock into wall when I realize it is Monday........... :)

You are complaining about paying $3.25 a gallon???? I just saw $4.15 at the gas station in my Tony neighborhood of Albany CA.

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Record profits for the oil refiners again in 1Q08...

ForeverAutumn
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
You are complaining about paying $3.25 a gallon???? I just saw $4.15 at the gas station in my Tony neighborhood of Albany CA.

$4.15 sounds about right to me. 1 litre here is currently $1.11, making a gallon worth $4.20.

While Canadians are begging for American pricing on many items here, it looks like you guys are getting Canadian pricing on gas. We're all getting hosed! :nonod:

ForeverAutumn
04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh yeah, not that any of you probably care but, as mentioned above our last curling game of the season was on Sunday night and my team finished in first place. :thumbsup:

bobsticks
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Congrats on the win Autumn...on the win, not getting hosed with the rest of us.

The rogering will be complete a month from now when we hit 5 bucks a gallon so that in early November the Oil Companies can market their "We care about you in this time of economic stress" campaign and lower the price to a paltry $4.30 per.

Bastards.

NP:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NV16VE2XL._AA240_.jpg

04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah, not that any of you probably care but, as mentioned above our last curling game of the season was on Sunday night and my team finished in first place. :thumbsup:

I could never participate in curling, I have no hair:nonod:

Sorry FA, I just couldn't help myself.:D

thekid
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Well since an obscure sport like curling (sorry to my Canadian brethren...) was just mentioned ...........

This weekend...... I will be participating in my 27th Va State Frisbee Tournament or as I have come to know it ......The annual throw out my shoulder in freezing rain walk....... :)

There will however as always be good tales, good friends, good eats and good tunes playing in the shelter..... Happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZ's

ForeverAutumn
04-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Well since an obscure sport like curling (sorry to my Canadian brethren...) was just mentioned ...........

This weekend...... I will be participating in my 27th Va State Frisbee Tournament or as I have come to know it ......The annual throw out my shoulder in freezing rain walk....... :)

There will however as always be good tales, good friends, good eats and good tunes playing in the shelter..... Happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZ's

That sounds like fun...the frisbee part, not the throwing out your shoulder in the freezing rain part.

thekid
04-13-2008, 03:00 AM
That sounds like fun...the frisbee part, not the throwing out your shoulder in the freezing rain part.

Well it turns out the weather people were way off base on their call yesterday for the tournament. Temps were in the upper 70's and only a brief light shower. Shot a 69 for my round which is great for ball golf but 15 over in disc golf. My son walked with me during the round and we really enjoyed a very nice day. He was amazed at some of the people throwing distance- 200 meter plus in some cases and came to appreciate the sport a little more.

On the audio side....

I checked out a couple of local thrifts during a break and picked up some more vinyl.
Also talked to my little brother who mentioned he still has my dad's old Pioneer speakers. CS-80 is the model which other than it was made around 1971 I can't find anything else on them. I liked them when I was little.

ForeverAutumn
04-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a good day Kid.

I went to our curling banquet last night and as the first place team (YAY!), we were first up to the prize table. I picked up a nice curling jacket for next year and a gift certificate for Golf Town...which means that I can finally pick up that new set of head covers that I've had my eye on. I'll be heading over there later this afternoon. :)

thekid
04-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a good day Kid.

I went to our curling banquet last night and as the first place team (YAY!), we were first up to the prize table. I picked up a nice curling jacket for next year and a gift certificate for Golf Town...which means that I can finally pick up that new set of head covers that I've had my eye on. I'll be heading over there later this afternoon. :)

Congrats on the first place finish!
Good to see one of us took home some hardware!

thekid
04-18-2008, 02:45 AM
This weekend....
Picking up another pair of DCM speakers :)
Visiting my father-in-law in the hospital
Helping my little bro set up a 2-channel system
Raiding same bro's record collection :)
Enjoying temps in the upper 70's :D

ForeverAutumn
04-18-2008, 04:08 AM
This weekend....
Picking up another pair of DCM speakers :)
Visiting my father-in-law in the hospital
Helping my little bro set up a 2-channel system
Raiding same bro's record collection :)
Enjoying temps in the upper 70's :D

I wish the best for your father-in-law.

I took the day off work today so I have a slightly longer weekend. Our home inspection is today, if the house passes and the deal is finalized, the rest of my weekend will be spent cleaning and uncluttering our current house to get it ready to list for sale.

...and maybe a couple of bike rides if the weather holds out.

OzzieAudiophile
04-18-2008, 05:50 AM
ForeverAutumn : I take it you're a big Justin Haywood fan ?

Would you also happen to own Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds on SACD ?

ForeverAutumn
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
ForeverAutumn : I take it you're a big Justin Haywood fan ?

Would you also happen to own Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds on SACD ?

Yes to both questions. Although I don't have an SACD player so I just listen to WOTW on CD.

One of my favourite literary characters is also named Autumn so that also factors into my choice for a moniker.

04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I have to finish one more Bluray review before leaving on a three week vacation to Hawaii. :3: I am so thrilled to be going on this vacation I do not know what to do with myself. It not like I haven't been there before, I have been there every year for the last 10 years. This year so far has been so busy and grueling that I am just living for this vacation. I'm tired and need some rest :Yawn:

OzzieAudiophile
04-18-2008, 06:39 PM
FA : The SACD version is definately worth it.

There is a Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds 7 SACD/CD box set, size of an LP with
book etc.

I brought one about 6 months ago shortly after I went to see them live. The box is
still sealed. The concert was amazing. Justin Hayward in his neat white suit, he never
missed a beat, sounds just as good as he did 29 years ago.

In the 30 metres of video screen which has some scenes in 3D (I brought the programme
which came with 3D specs), in the FA song, Carrrie is played by Jeff Wayne's daughter.
The documentary that comes with the DVD was put together quite nicely, and
showed just how much work it took for Jeff to get exactly as he wanted it for the big
return.

dean_martin
04-19-2008, 12:35 PM
At the end of March, my wife and I hit the Georgia Wine Highway Tour - 8 wineries/vineyards, a spectacular dinner and a nice Sunday brunch in two days. We came back with many, many bottles of wine, but I went straight to work upon our return.

Finally, last night we opened a sweet red from Three Sisters, watched Juno and snacked on pizza and Cheetos. When we tasted the red at Three Sisters, the server reached behind the bar and pulled out a bag of Cheetos. She said this wine goes perfectly with Cheetos. My wife and I laughed but tried it anyway. Of course the server was right! Unbelievable. We went to several upscale wineries and tasted some mighty fine wines, but there's something to be said for a bottle of fun.

This morning (Sat.) I woke up at 6:00am for some reason, perused the paper, cleaned out the grill, prepared chicken, hamburger and a sirloin - enough charred meat to last thru the weekend and a little beyond. Had 3 beers (w/out any breakfast): 2 Abita Purple Hazes (a delicious raspberry wheat brew) and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. While grillin', I had the T-amp, Insignia speakers and my wife's iPod on the deck playing a Kings of Leon, Spoon, and the Strokes mix. After takin' the meat off the grill, I washed, dried and brushed Roxie the dog who had wandered into a nearby field while I was cooking.

I just finished eating and now I'm chillin' before getting cleaned up to go to BestBuy to use my $50 gift card that I got for buying a now-obsolete HD-DVD player. Oh, and for later I put a bottle of Sweet Sally (a Crane Creek white named after the winery owners' dog) in the fridge for sunset. May not have slept in today, but I bet I will tomorrow.

thekid
04-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I wish the best for your father-in-law.

I took the day off work today so I have a slightly longer weekend. Our home inspection is today, if the house passes and the deal is finalized, the rest of my weekend will be spent cleaning and uncluttering our current house to get it ready to list for sale.

...and maybe a couple of bike rides if the weather holds out.

FA- thanks for your sentiments. We visited him some today and he seems to be getting a little better each time we see him.

Picked up my DCM CX-27's-great condition-very good sound based on my preliminary impressions.

My little brother has collected some pretty cool speakers over the years working for a commercial cleaning company which specialized in large apartment buildings/complexes.
He has picked for free the following;

AR-4's-Cabinets need a little work and needs a re-foam
Electro-Voice Leytons- cabinets in good conditon probably good use a refoam
Electro-Voice Image 1's?- Very good all around
Pioneer CS-30A's-Very good condition
Sansui SP-2000's- Very good condition.

He has a Yamaha 640 in excellent condition cosmetically but there is something smoking in it so we need to find a repair shop.

thekid
10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Well thought I revive this thread sitting here on a Friday night........

This weekend I will finally get around to re-foaming my EPI-100's and Genesis 10's now that PE got around to sending me the re-foam kits.

Hope everyone can take this weekend off from being focused on this week's drubbing of the economic/market bad news.

:14: :14: :14:

ForeverAutumn
10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Good thread revival.

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in the Great White North so I'm off work until Tuesday. :) Tomorrow our new appliances are being delivered and then we're going shopping for backsplash tiles for our kitchen. Sunday we're off to my Mother-in-Law's for Thanksgiving Dinner. And Monday I'm thinking that maybe we'll get in the last golf game of the season and then maybe relax with a good book.

Rich-n-Texas
10-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends from the Great White North! :3:

(RATS!!! I just wished Bill Bailey a Happy Hliday! I'm a dumbass.)

Feanor
10-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends from the Great White North! :3:

(RATS!!! I just wished Bill Bailey a Happy Hliday! I'm a dumbass.)

I won't exploit the fact. :yesnod:

FA, in my case, I'm taking the whole week off. :16:

Auricauricle
10-11-2008, 01:14 PM
All the best to those hosers in the North!! Kurukukukukukuku....(Sorry. Went insane for a moment there....)

ForeverAutumn
10-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I won't exploit the fact. :yesnod:

FA, in my case, I'm taking the whole week off. :16:

Lucky bastard. I'm trying to save my last few vacation days to take off the week between Xmas and New Year's.

ForeverAutumn
10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
All the best to those hosers in the North!! Kurukukukukukuku....(Sorry. Went insane for a moment there....)

Take off, eh!

Auricauricle
10-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Heheheheheheheheheh....

Well, as you know, our Thanksgiving is a little later than yours--there are floats to build and marching bands to assemble--but tonight is House Tour night in the Holy City. This means neighbors opening their houses to the admiring masses who will descend upon them to be ushered indoors where the Persian carpets and Chippendale furniture can be admired and the cheap wine drunk!

That is precisely why my wife, a friend and I will abscond hither into yon hookah bar, where delicacies of the Middle East await us. With belly dancers, Turkish coffee and baklava for the admiring guests, this looks to be a most excellent evening.

Do call if you're in town....

ForeverAutumn
10-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Heheheheheheheheheh....

Well, as you know, our Thanksgiving is a little later than yours--there are floats to build and marching bands to assemble--but tonight is House Tour night in the Holy City. This means neighbors opening their houses to the admiring masses who will descend upon them to be ushered indoors where the Persian carpets and Chippendale furniture can be admired and the cheap wine drunk!

That is precisely why my wife, a friend and I will abscond hither into yon hookah bar, where delicacies of the Middle East await us. With belly dancers, Turkish coffee and baklava for the admiring guests, this looks to be a most excellent evening.

Do call if you're in town....

I don't get it. You let strangers walk through your house and eyeball all your stuff? :out:

Auricauricle
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
We don't, but there are locals who are more than happy (within reason) to let strangers enter their houses and sip a bit of plonk.

Sort of like a cross between Halloween and housewarming.

Tres bizarre, non?

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Good thread revival.

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in the Great White North so I'm off work until Tuesday. :) Tomorrow our new appliances are being delivered and then we're going shopping for backsplash tiles for our kitchen. Sunday we're off to my Mother-in-Law's for Thanksgiving Dinner. And Monday I'm thinking that maybe we'll get in the last golf game of the season and then maybe relax with a good book.

So the long weekend that I was looking forward to ended up sucking. I had a major allergic reaction to something on Sunday and ended up having to miss Thanksgiving dinner. But I have the sweetest Mother-in-law who sent home a nice little care package for me. :)

Then I threw my back out first thing Monday morning and had to cancel our golf game as I could barely walk. I managed to make it into work today, but I've been zombied out on Robax all day. I can't wait to get home, take something stronger and lie on the floor for the rest of the evening. :frown5:

GMichael
10-14-2008, 12:30 PM
So the long weekend that I was looking forward to ended up sucking. I had a major allergic reaction to something on Sunday and ended up having to miss Thanksgiving dinner. But I have the sweetest Mother-in-law who sent home a nice little care package for me. :)

Then I threw my back out first thing Monday morning and had to cancel our golf game as I could barely walk. I managed to make it into work today, but I've been zombied out on Robax all day. I can't wait to get home, take something stronger and lie on the floor for the rest of the evening. :frown5:

Sorry to read that you had such a bad weekend. I hope you feel better soon.
Glad to read that you have a sweet Mom-in-law. What was in the care package?

Oh yeah. Happy Thanksgiving.

Auricauricle
10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm really sorry to read this, FA. What did you have the reaction to: this is worrisome. Also, be careful with this Robax, and avoid alcohol when you take it....

ForeverAutumn
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm really sorry to read this, FA. What did you have the reaction to: this is worrisome. Also, be careful with this Robax, and avoid alcohol when you take it....

I'm not sure what the allergic reaction was to. I have a lot of allergies and there's a lot of pollen, mould and dust in the air this time of year. It was just a sinus/watery eye thing. I actually thought it was a cold until it cleared up as suddenly as it started.

I never drink on Robax or any other stimulant or relaxant. Everything I take is on doctors orders as well. No worries Aa, but thanks for your concern.

Sorry to read that you had such a bad weekend. I hope you feel better soon.
Glad to read that you have a sweet Mom-in-law. What was in the care package?

Thanks GM. The care package was a full Thanksgiving dinner; Turkey, stuffing, mashed 'tater's, the works. I ate it for lunch today. Mmmmmm.

L.J.
10-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Guess this wouldn't be a good time to crack a spider joke.....:hand:

All kidding aside, I hope you feel better soon. Maybe some tunes will help :yesnod:

Auricauricle
10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Mashed 'taters, turkey and stuffin'? Did the same Innians that catered our Thanksgiving cater y'all's? I thought ours was special order!

ForeverAutumn
10-17-2008, 10:15 AM
It's Friday and that means the revival of the weekend thread. So wazzup people?

Tonight is dinner with my brother and s-i-l and watch hockey.

We're going to look at yet MORE backsplash tiles tomorrow morning and having our counter-top installed in the afternoon (YAY).

Sunday, the curling season starts. But I'll have to resort to just being an armchair cheerleader for the opening game as my back is definately not up to it yet.

And due to the drugs I'm on...no drinking all weekend. Hiss. Boooooo.

thekid
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Well tomorrow is full of errands and possibly a little thrifting with my son. I was hoping to re-stain my Pioneer SX-9000 but unfortunately I am leaving on Sunday for another business trip. Only 3 more trips left for the year so hopefully I will get around to some more of my audio projects before travel starts up again in 09.

L.J.
10-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Tonight...Maybe chill & watch a movie or listen to some tunes.

Sat...Going to some folks house for a BBQ. Really don't know 'em on a personal level, so it should be interesting. Apparently, I'm anti-social.

Sun...Football, BBQ, Mix'd drinks. Usually have guests over and the wife cooks a huge dinner. How I love football season....Even if the freakin' Raiders can't win.

bobsticks
10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
... Apparently, I'm anti-social.

That's nothing, mang. I'm having an entire weekend devoted to solitary repose and accomplishing all the little household tasks that I know I'll push aside over the Holiday season. On the bright side I've got a stack of unopened discs, a few books, and several unwatched movies to go along with that.

It says something about life in these parts lately that my copy of Iron Man on Blu-Ray still sits on the counter awaiting it's maidem voyage...

Rich-n-Texas
10-17-2008, 07:40 PM
How I love football season....Even if the freakin' Raiders can't win.
Raiders? Did he say the Raiders? :crazy:

Oh dear GAWD!!!

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

Sorry bud... kinda lost it for a minute there. :eek:

(snicker snicker)

L.J.
10-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Raiders? Did he say the Raiders? :crazy:

Oh dear GAWD!!!

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

Sorry bud... kinda lost it for a minute there. :eek:

(snicker snicker)

Like that!!! I gotta rep the home town. I'm in for the long haul baby. Now would you care to repeat that at a game :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
HEY! How 'bout dem RAIDERS?!?!?! :biggrin5: