What type of Music do you listen to? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What type of Music do you listen to?

blackraven
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see what genra of music people listen to or prefer.
My favorite music right now is

Blues
Jazz and Jazz vocalists
Rock
and ocassional Classical

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm not to far off yours, EbonyCrow

Blues (of course)
R&B/Soul
Classic Acoustical/Soft Electric Rock and Folk (ie Baez, Dylan,both Guthries etc)
Jazz
and a bit of Classical when I'm in the mood

blackraven
04-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I've just gotten into the blues the last several years and it, with vocalist jazz are my favorites right now. I also prefer acoustical music, folk rock and the old MoTown sound. There's not too much out there in todays rock and roll that excites me. A lot of todays rock sounds the same to me with poor musicians and lyrics. Hip Hop, rapp and boy bands have ruined R&R.

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I've just gotten into the blues the last several years and it with vocalist jazz are my favorites right now. I also prefer acoustical music and folk rock. There's not too much out there in todays rock and roll that excites me. Alot of todays rock sounds the same to me with poor musitions and lyrics.

I hear ya. I used to be a Hard Rock fan years back until it stopped being creative and and the bands stopped having an individual and distinct sound. I then slowly gravitated to the roots of rock...Blues and Folk.

When my system became more refined and revealing is when I acquired a taste for jazz and classical.

Ajani
04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I listen to mostly Soul/R&B and pretty much anything else, regardless of genre, as long as it sounds good to me...

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 12:01 PM
My tastes are ever changing these days.
I've acquired quite a liking for stuff that I didn't really listen to before.
Anyway, here goes: Trip-Hop, 'chill' music such as Art of Noise & Groove Armada,
Trance. (well, anything really that can help portray the image of one self flying high in the sky)
Also House/Electro and the likes. I guess this can be regrouped into one genre, 'electronica'.
On a less regular basis, rock, reggaeton, salsa, drum & bass, rap & Hip-Hop. The only jazz I've really enjoyed so far is Amy Winehouse. If you can call that jazz.
I grew up hearing my sister play piano, which means I have an ear for that, as well as pipe organ which I've heard throughout my youth on Sundays. I listen to classical too.

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh ya, how could I forget Bob Marley....so add reggae to my list.

Glen B
04-03-2008, 12:30 PM
A wide range of genres including:

Classical (esp. pipe organ)
Jazz
Soul/R&B
Blues
Rock
Metal
Pop
Rap/hip-hop
Electronica
Latin
New age
Reggae
Soca
World music

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I now listen to what I sing the most, Jazz and Gospel, and what relaxes me the most, classical and Jazz. Old school soul and RB is also in the mix.

JSE
04-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll listen to anything except for Rap/HipHop and Country. I will occasionally listen to HipHop if there is a musical beats/rhythm and actual singing. Gym Class Hereos are pretty cool. But Country, I would rather stick needles under my fingernails over and over again.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-03-2008, 01:00 PM
. But Country, I would rather stick needles under my fingernails over and over again.

I would rather slide down a bannister of razor blades than to listen to all of that crying coming from Country music.

GMichael
04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I grew up on The Beatles, The Who, etc. When I was in HS it was all about Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Boston, Black Sabbath, Queen, The Eagles, Ted Nugent, etc. Now I listen to mostly smooth jazz and soft rock.

blackraven
04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
What do you guys think of the new Robert Plant-Alison Kraus album? I like and actually saw them in concert together on an HDTV station recently. They sang alot of LedZepplin songs that were awesome and are not on that album, I'm guessing for copyright reasons.

Ajani
04-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I'll listen to anything except for Rap/HipHop and Country. I will occasionally listen to HipHop if there is a musical beats/rhythm and actual singing. Gym Class Hereos are pretty cool. But Country, I would rather stick needles under my fingernails over and over again.

"Over and Over" is a great Country/Hip Hop blend by Nelly and Tim McGraw... I think you'd like it.... :ciappa:

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
great Country/Hip Hop

Now that's an oxymoron if i ever have heard one. :ciappa:

Ajani
04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Now that's an oxymoron if i ever have heard one. :ciappa:

Stop pretending! You know when no-one is around, you put on your Billy-Ray Cyrus CDs and start dancing the 'Achy Breaky Heart'!

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
What do you guys think of the new Robert Plant-Alison Kraus album? I like and actually saw them in concert together on an HDTV station recently. They sang alot of LedZepplin songs that were awesome and are not on that album, I'm guessing for copyright reasons.

Or how about this one, anyone heard this. I'm not a big A cappella fan but don't mind it from time to time, available from Elusivedisc.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VOCLP107 (no spam intended)

Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella

"Dark Side of the Moon A Cappella is an all-vocal version of Pink Floyd's magnum opus Dark Side of the Moon. No instruments were used in the recording of this unique version of the album. Eight singers and one "vocal percussionist" recreate the original work in its entirety. The album was recorded without breaks between the tracks (as in the original), and is as close to the original in timing as possible."

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Stop pretending! You know when no-one is around, you put on your Billy-Ray Cyrus CDs and start dancing the 'Achy Breaky Heart'!

Of any Country, that has to be the very worst of the worst. NOT FUNNY, LOL

Friggin giving me a headache just thinking about it.

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I tend to gravitate towards artists and not styles. Looking at my ever-expanding collection I find that almost all genres are represented but by a few artists representing some deep catalogues.

While my musical education was never at Berkeley standards I know enough to appreciate talent and also to pick out characteristics of music toward which my ears gravitate.

Feanor
04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I thought it would be interesting to see what genra of music people listen to or prefer.
My favorite music right now is

Blues
Jazz and Jazz vocalists
Rock
and ocassional Classical

I listen in about these proportions:

Classical 85%, (some subcategories overlap)
Chamber music 40%
Comtemporary classical 30%
Orcherstral, incl. concerto, symphony 30%
Choral/vocal 10%
Jazz, especially Hard Bop, Modal, Avant-garde 5%
World 5%
Assorted other stuff 5%I never, ever, ever listen to Rap, Hip-hop, or Country.

kexodusc
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I listen to a healthy mix of rock, jazz, classical, and blues.
I don't mind some country, but I'm not a big fan of the Toby Keith/Faith Hill corporate country stuff.
I guess if it has a music video, it ain't my country. Waylon Jennings kicks ass though.
Hip-hop has it's place too, though I can't say I own much. Still got my NWA tapes though.

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Step by step, heart to heart, left, right, left, we all fall down like toy soldiers...

Uhh, Kex are you quoting Debbie Gibson or Tiffany or one of them there teenieboppers in your Sig?

Still got my NWA tapes though

Hell yeah, kill whitey.

kexodusc
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Uhh, Kex are you quoting Debbie Gibson or Tiffany or one of them there teenieboppers in your Sig?
That's Martika bro, and she wasn't bubblegum pop...she was real, dawg, real...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpJy46o_7b0

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM
When once again capable I am so giving you Green Wiki.

Ajani
04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Hell yeah, kill whitey.

Yeah!!!! Kill Whi.... ummmm, maybe I shouldn't say that....

emaidel
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Classical first.

70's and 80's rock

60's jazz

new age (David Arkenstone, John Lang, Liz Story)

NO rap. EVER!

blackraven
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Feanor, your math doesnt add up, LOL.

OzzieAudiophile
04-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Hello and nice thread.

My favourite types :

Ambient
New Age (not EMO lol)
Classical
Blues
Jazz
70's
80's
Chillout
Opera
Crooners (i.e. Rat Pack)

Well, that's most of it from memory lol

Mr Peabody
04-03-2008, 06:55 PM
The only thing off the top of my head I rule out is Opera and Candlelight stuff.

My collection has a majority of a wide variety of Rock; Classic, Prog, Metal and some Top 40. My interest in Rock had a resurgence a year or so back when I discovered Prog was still being recorded and found Metal bands like Nightwish and Tristania.

I also have Blues, Jazz, Classical, Soul and even some Country. My Classical leans heavily toward Baroque with Vivaldi being my fav. If it's Country, I'm with Kex, give me the traditional stuff and forget this stuff they are calling Country today. Smooth Jazz isn't Jazz, I lean toward Fusion and traditional acoustic Jazz. I also like and own some Big Band. My Blues favorites lean toward more electric Blues, Johnny Winter, Lonnie Brooks, Joe Bonamassa. I also own some New Age and a little Reggae

I'll listen to most any genre if it's good. I should have stopped at the first sentence with what I wouldn't listen to :)

pixelthis
04-03-2008, 10:08 PM

I have that on the DVR and was watching it today on MHD (music in high definition)
This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite stations.
Not all country is bad, ALLISON KRAUS and union station is quite good, and theres other things.
But mainly its jazz, r&b, some pop (not much) pretty much anything that sounds good.
I heard a jazz guitatist the other day, am going to order some of her CD'S
Emily rehmer is the name.
I have always loved jazz guitar. :1:

blackraven
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Pix thats where I saw the concert, on MHD. Its an excellent station for music and concerts, especially in hi def. The concert is better than the album. I wish that they put those Led Zepplin songs they sang together on the CD.

Feanor
04-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Feanor, your math doesnt add up, LOL.

Lemme 'splain.

Total = Classical + Jazz + World + odd junk = 85 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 100. So far so good

And I did say the Classical categories overlap, viz. Standard-category Classical = Chamber + Orchestral + Choral/vocal = 40 + 30 + 10 = 80. However, standard categories + difficult-to-classify Contemporary = 80 + 20 = 100

Total Contemporary = 30 = Chamber + Orchestral + Difficult-to-classify = 5 + 5 + 20 = 30.

Feanor
04-04-2008, 03:11 AM
The only thing off the top of my head I rule out is Opera and Candlelight stuff.

I'll listen to most any genre if it's good. I should have stopped at the first sentence with what I wouldn't listen to :)

I listen to very little opera. However I do watch opera occassionally and own opera DVDs, (no BluRay yet ;) ). To me opera is multi-media, not just music -- and yes, I appreciate subtitles. I know hardcore types who disagree.

kexodusc
04-04-2008, 03:42 AM
-- and yes, I appreciate subtitles. I know hardcore types who disagree.
A client of ours took me to the Opera once, all dressed to the nines, high-society and such. He proceded to BS his way through the entire story trying to tell me what I should look for, production tricks, etc.. When my wife asked me how I liked it and tried to BS to her my appreciation by recounting what I had learned. She's a bit of a casual Opera buff and proceeded to expose me for the cultureless sponge I am. I felt like a vicitim - I could just imagine me trying to talk Opera at a dinner-meeting somewhere and looking like an idiot.
We can laugh about it, but every time I have to visit the client I want to punch him in the face.

So yeah, I could see a place for subtitles.

L.J.
04-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Rap
R&B
Smooth Jazz
Oldies
Slow Jams
Soft Pop

blackraven
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Take no offense Feanor, I was just havin' some fun.

JSE
04-04-2008, 10:01 AM
"Over and Over" is a great Country/Hip Hop blend by Nelly and Tim McGraw... I think you'd like it.... :ciappa:

Please tell me your joking! Nelly and Tim McGraw actually made a song together? If so, the World can now end.

The only thing I like about Tim McGraw is his wife. And I'm not talking about her singing. :arf:

Rich-n-Texas
04-04-2008, 11:12 AM
...LOUD :yikes:

Feanor
04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Take no offense Feanor, I was just havin' some fun.

None take, bro :15:

ldgibson76
04-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I tend to gravitate towards artists and not styles. Looking at my ever-expanding collection I find that almost all genres are represented but by a few artists representing some deep catalogues.

While my musical education was never at Berkeley standards I know enough to appreciate talent and also to pick out characteristics of music toward which my ears gravitate.

Hello "bobsticks"!

I couldn't have said it better. I find that critcizing various genres isn't prudent at all. They are all artforms in one way or another. I know that my appreciation for music has evolved over the years. My listening enjoyment ranges from Art of Noise to U2 and pretty much everything in between!
Do I have a favorite genre? It changes constantly! Why? Because I'm learning to appreciate all forms of music. What's funny is the more I learn, the more I recognize that the creative aspect is starting to diminish, especially in the pop and r&b and even the "rock" segments. Not true for all, because you can find examples of great creativity across all genres, but for the most part, it's becoming a rarity or an exception. Ask yourself this.....How often do you come across a song today that you think will become timeless?!!!! I bet not as often as you used to! And contrary to popular believe, not all Hip Hop or Rap is bad!

Regards!

ldgibson76
04-04-2008, 11:56 AM
That's Martika bro, and she wasn't bubblegum pop...she was real, dawg, real...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpJy46o_7b0

I concur......"Martika's Kitchen!" Not to mention, she's Fine!:ihih:

Monkey Mouse
04-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm really into "chill" and Brazilian Jazz these days....

But as a former DJ with well over 4,000 12" singles, dance and electronica have my heart.

aevans
04-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Electronica, not DJ stuff, original source material.
late 80's/early 90's metal (mostly bad recording quality)
stuff I get from my dad, kraftwerk, the who, zeplin, enya, moody blues, etc.

I've got one recording of classical that I really like.. Beetoven's 7th Allegretto, really a kick ass tune.

Mr Peabody
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
So, Rich, you play that George Strait pretty loud do ya?

audio amateur
04-07-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm really into "chill" and Brazilian Jazz these days....

But as a former DJ with well over 4,000 12" singles, dance and electronica have my heart.
I'm well witcha

Les Adams
04-07-2008, 12:26 PM

I am glad you asked this question because I have been dying to say what I think to somebody who cares!

I HATE IT! There, I said it! I found it dreary, dull, depressing and on top of that, the viny pressing is very bass heavy and muddy! The honest truth? My copy is now used as a dust protector for my Ringmat... no I am NOT joking! Seriously, I wanted something that kept the mat in good clean condition without having to take it off the deck when I'm not using it, so that album sits there gathering the dust .. it was perfect for the job!

Phew! I feel better now...

Ajani
04-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Please tell me your joking! Nelly and Tim McGraw actually made a song together? If so, the World can now end.

The only thing I like about Tim McGraw is his wife. And I'm not talking about her singing. :arf:

Sorry, but I'm not kidding... they actually made a song together and it was a hit (I think it made the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100). It's one of those songs you just have to 'experience' for yourself... lol

flippo
04-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I Listen to almost everything except rap and hip hop. I really like Jazz - tradional and fusion (no Kenny G!). I also like Prog a lot also, Kansas, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse I really like.

For tradional Jazz, my favorite is Charlie Haden Quartet West and for Fusion it is a tie between Pat Metheny Group and Flim and the BB's.

blackraven
04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Les, I agree with you on the Plant-Kraus album although I like some of the songs on it. The concert was 1000 times better than the album.

Rush2112
04-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I have both kinds of music in my collection... country, and western ..... not

Mostly classic rock

Rush, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, The Who, Nuggent, The Rolling Stones.

Also.... Radiohead, The Tragically Hip, ELO, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave, The Eagles, Lynard Skynard

Kiss "Destroyer" was the first LP I bought (3rd or 4th grade I think) two weeks later I bought a Lloyds turntable/receiver which cost me everything I had saved up. That and an AM radio strapped to the handlebars of my '68 Schwinn Stingray 5-speed cruising around bloomington MN looking for beer cans in apartment dumpsters.... lol, sorry for the time warp.

bobsticks
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
What's funny is the more I learn, the more I recognize that the creative aspect is starting to diminish, especially in the pop and r&b and even the "rock" segments. Not true for all, because you can find examples of great creativity across all genres, but for the most part, it's becoming a rarity or an exception. Ask yourself this.....How often do you come across a song today that you think will become timeless?!!!! I bet not as often as you used to! And contrary to popular believe, not all Hip Hop or Rap is bad!
Regards!

Regards back atcha

I don't know if I fully agree that the creative aspect is necessarily diminishing, but maybe stunted by the goals of media corporations. You'll never see another Rolling Stones or Beattles as it's not in their best interest. I seriously doubt that in the age of prefab, pre-written itunes from boy bands and Britney that it's a coincidence that you rarely see a third effort from a major. I mean, really, how long do you expect Daughtry to be around? They wanna sign kids to ****ty backloaded contracts and ditch before they have to pay out dollars for major units. On to the next cookie cutter shiite, oh, and by the way, Johnny Rezenick and Brian VanderArk, you owe us 150k apiece, thanks for the platinum albums...

Fortunately there's still a ton of talent out there and a lot of interest in the arts, albeit not always in a form that we might prefer. "Indie" doesn't always refer to rock and the internet has become a bullhorn of word-of-mouth. A new business model is emerging you just have to be willing to reach out and grab it...and this site and those like it are good places to start. More on topic but inkeeping with this rambling, check out Slumpy's excellent response over in RR: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=236457&posted=1#post236457

I recently posted a thread directed to Swish with a clip from a kid that mixed some hip-hop with some indie. I did this, well, to piss off Swish but if you think about it here's someone whose musical knowledge base is wide enough to include a variety of styles that exceeds many from around these parts. I'm not asking anyone to like it...I wouldn't actually buy it, okay maybe I would but I buy everything...but let's at least acknowledge that if R&R is a musical form based on angst and emotion and youth and energy that there are folks that are attempting to express themselves in ways with which they are most familiar. Never forget, in America we no longer educate kids in music just multi-culturalism.

Bottom line, we've always had the same seven notes to play around with. I like checkin' out everyone's rendition.

bobsticks
04-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I heard a jazz guitatist the other day, am going to order some of her CD'S
Emily rehmer is the name.
I have always loved jazz guitar. :1:

Hey Pix,

If your Sammy or Sony play SACD check out this disc by Wes Montgomery. Truly outstanding.

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/18119.jpg

filecat13
04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I spend most of my time in the office listening to dance, trance, and house.

I spend most of my time in the car listening to smooth jazz.

I spend most of my time at home listening to well-wrought multichannel music of virtually any genre or down in the music room with 60s through 90s rock or orchestral music.

At night I listen to Chill Out or Zen Buddha mixes.

stevemiro5
04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
If it makes noise......and it's recorded well it's fair game!

Jazz, some classical, progressive acoustic music, prog rock.

ECM recordings are especially well recorded- ear candy!

basite
04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
well,

jazz, pretty much all jazz goes :D
rock, but only quality rock, the regular/popular stuff like fall out boy barely make it to my pc system, and are not played on my main setup at all. also alternative rock, some grunge, soft rock, etc... I do not like rock & roll (like elvis, and stuff like 'rock around the clock tonight', or whatever that title was...)

funk, latin jazz, latin music in general, cuban jazz, experimental electronical music (i.e. Trentemoller), world music, some 'pop', some classical (esp 20th century), some blues, ...

Alot :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I want to hear this Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon A cappella.... up until they were stolen when I was in college I had a collection of every vinyl ever released from Pink Floyd with original copywrite dates.

Niicceee...

As a sidenote, it's good to read that more than a few like electronica/techno/industrial. That seems to be a genre that sees the light of day rarely 'round these parts.

Luvin Da Blues
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Before you all go jumping down my throat, I get that he is an American Classic,

Uh NO. Neil is a Canadian.

O'Shag
04-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Oiy loik Everyfink.

80s
And you may find yourself..living in a chat on chat, and you may find yourself in anonther part of the world, behind the wheel of a large audtomobile, and you may find yourself in a beautiful house.. with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here? Letting the days go by... Same as it ever wus, Time is inefluous...Once in a Lifetime Talking Heads

"Toto, I don't think were in Kansas any more. I was walking on Broadway you know and there was this incredible Swedish girl having a cappucino across the street from Lincoln cener, I started talkin' to here you know an she said her name was Lola....Her English wasn't too good, you know but we wound up spending aboutr five hours together just hanging out together you know, so we go back to my place and get high and get really into each other man an, it was love about to happen, I'm serious...and then all of a sudden she gets up and says, she says hey, I've really got to leave...dalm A..E...I...O...U
Ebn and Ozn

Classless
'AAAhy, wanna beeee, Anarchy. Aayy am the antichrista, I am an anarchista...'; SexPistols

Plain Odd
'Ground control to Major Tom' 'My little China Girl' - Bowie
'Sit on my face, and tell me that you love me...' , 'LumberJack Song' - Monty Python
Tom Waits - 'orrible, but interesting

Japanese Classical
I've got some stuff that is so beautiful that it entrances me. The band Hiroshim do some really cool things with traditional instruments in an 80s sort of way.

R&B
Lu Lu Lovey Dovey, I used to think that I was so silly then, all that kissing and stuff, that was just too much, then you came along and gave my heart a brand new song..yehh Its that lovey dovey feeling I get when I'm with you, its that lovey dovey feeling I get, its so true..
ToniTonyTone??

Classical
Too many, but Bach can really send me man

Chazz
Kenny G - JUST KIDDING!!
Oscar Peteresen - now your talkin, mind you Art Tatum was no slouch
Chet Baker - do it the Hard Way
Wes Montgomery
George Shearing
Milt Jackson
Mose Allison
Miles
Coltrane
Adderly
Bird
I don't know - just too much to count

Weird but beautiful
Hildergard of Bingen
Chant - tallis etc

Irish
Clancy Brothers
Dubliners
Altan
Celtic Woman
many more

Rock
Van Halen
Steve Vai
Joe satriani
Frank Gamballi
Whitesnake
Deep Purple

Afghan
Ahmad Wali
Haidar Salim
Sammey Jan
Sammey
Fahrad Daria

Indian
Jagjit Singh
Punjabi Bangra
Ravi Shankar
many more

Country
A'm waitin oun the Suun to set, cus yesterdaiy aint over yiet.. I started smokin cigarettes theres nothin else to do ah guess... A'm givin up oun luuv - luuv's givin up oun me... Miranda Lambert "Kerosene"
etc etc

Music for Arseholes (Like me)
Roger Whittaker - I like his voice and songs a lot
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Classic and I love his music
Ken Dodd - If your English and in your 40s or over - you'll know who Ken Dodd is
Cliff Richards
Garry glitter
The Bay City Rollers
Abba
The Carpenters

Les Adams
04-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Oiy loik Everyfink.

Cliff Richards

Not that I am a fan, but you just did one of my pet hate things... it is Cliff RICHARD ! There is no "S" on the end.

By the way, I love Barbara Streisands, Neil Diamonds, Aretha Franklins and Tom Joness, Not to mention Gladys Knights.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I never thought I'd like Neil Diamond. I ended up with a couple vinyls in one batch or another and cleaned them off for a spin just out of curiosity, I was extremely entertained, first off the production and sound was incredible, the arrangements are phenominal, he can go from a sweet quiet passage and then explode with his powerful voice, he is also versatile. This doesn't apply to all albums though, since I was so impressed I pick up his albums out of the thrift stores or whatever to try and there were a few I didn't keep.

Les you should look for some early Candy Staten albums.

jrhymeammo
04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I never thought I'd like Neil Diamond. I ended up with a couple vinyls in one batch or another and cleaned them off for a spin just out of curiosity, I was extremely entertained, first off the production and sound was incredible, the arrangements are phenominal, he can go from a sweet quiet passage and then explode with his powerful voice, he is also versatile. This doesn't apply to all albums though, since I was so impressed I pick up his albums out of the thrift stores or whatever to try and there were a few I didn't keep.

Les you should look for some early Candy Staten albums.

Isn't it crazy how horrible Neil sounds on CD, but on Vinyl, he's a different beast.

O'Shag
04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Not that I am a fan, but you just did one of my pet hate things... it is Cliff RICHARD ! There is no "S" on the end.

By the way, I love Barbara Streisands, Neil Diamonds, Aretha Franklins and Tom Joness, Not to mention Gladys Knights.

Sorry Les - didn't mean to get your gander up. Got out of the wrond side of the bed this morning did we? :ciappa: