foam speaker surrounds [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : foam speaker surrounds

piledriver01
04-03-2008, 10:32 AM
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: my nephew ripped the foam surround on a one of my 15 inch mach 2's this morning while helping me re-arrange. i called everywhere and there isnt a shop in my area who does just the surrounds. speakerlab in seattle will rebuild the whole speaker minus the magnet and frame for 100 to 140 dollers each which is out of my budget at the moment so, i see i can by the exact surrounds in a repair kit with glue, instructions and the like for 25 bucks! how difficult is this to do myself. somebody please help, im new to this site and audio as a hobby. i know my speakers are old and outdated but they remind me of my father and i love them! I AM SOOOOO DAMNED BUMMED OUT!!!!!!!:mad2:

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: my nephew ripped the foam surround on a one of my 15 inch mach 2's this morning while helping me re-arrange. i called everywhere and there isnt a shop in my area who does just the surrounds. speakerlab in seattle will rebuild the whole speaker minus the magnet and frame for 100 to 140 dollers each which is out of my budget at the moment so, i see i can by the exact surrounds in a repair kit with glue, instructions and the like for 25 bucks! how difficult is this to do myself. somebody please help, im new to this site and audio as a hobby. i know my speakers are old and outdated but they remind me of my father and i love them! I AM SOOOOO DAMNED BUMMED OUT!!!!!!!:mad2:

How bad is the rip?? Can it be repaired with rubber glue from behind? Not the best solution but could get you by until you can afford to repair it properly.

markw
04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
check out www.hrttp://www.newfoam.com. They're in Rochester, NY and are reasonable and if you're handy will sell you a kit and instructions to do it yourself. Heck, they'll even sell you a kit if you're not handy.

This is but one of many places that do this. I mention them because they do good work and are easy to work with. Google "speaker refoaming" for more.

Oh, do both speakers. That way they will be matched.

dingus
04-04-2008, 12:37 PM
i've never done a driver of that size but i would think that its not any more difficult to refoam than any other standard driver. its not a complicated task and only takes some time and attention to a few details to do them correctly. with a driver of that size i think ensuring the voice coil remains centered will be the most difficult aspect and would recommend that you use shims for this.