Dream Theater does Classic Albums Live? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater does Classic Albums Live?

ForeverAutumn
04-03-2008, 07:52 AM
A friend passed along some copies of Dream Theater performing the entire albums of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast and Metallica's Master of Puppets. Has anyone else heard these?

I haven't given these a fully attentive listen, and the fact is that I probably won't. From what I can hear they don't compare to the originals so, if I want to hear Iron Maiden I'll play Iron Maiden. Nonetheless, it's interesting to hear these CDs once or twice.

The Iron Maiden disk isn't bad. It, of course, can't compare to the original. But it still sounds pretty good.

The Metallica disk is not working for me at all. I'm not a LaBrie basher like some others here, but his voice doesn't suit the songs and he does not do them justice. His voice lacks the depth that Hetfield has. The album in whole just seems to lack the energy and power of the original.

I suppose that this is a nice tribute to Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I’m not sure why Dream Theater would want to cover someone else when they do their own stuff so well.

kexodusc
04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I suppose that this is a nice tribute to Iron Maiden and Metallica, but I’m not sure why Dream Theater would want to cover someone else when they do their own stuff so well.
I can only speculate, but I play other people's songs because I like them. It's fun. Even my crappy band hates playing the same songs all the time, sometimes it's just fun to change things up?

You're right though, there's very few covers I like more than the original, and DT doing Metallica isn't an exception.

N. Abstentia
04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I have a few of those discs, they are 'Christmas CD's for DT fan club members. Interesting stuff for sure, if only for a few listens.