hooking sub to stereo Integrated Amplifier and pre/power amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hooking sub to stereo Integrated Amplifier and pre/power amp

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Hi guys could someone tell me how do i go about hooking a subwoofer to a stereo integrated amp and also to a pre/power amp.ive been looking at some amps and the stereo and pre/power amp dont have sub pre out puts . i hear you can hook up your sub to the back off the cd player line out puts would that be a good way ???

markw
04-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Is is a powered sub?

What I/O options does the sub offer?

theoretically, you can connect it between the CD's output and the amp's input but you 'll have to control the sub's volume on the sub, not the amp. Could be cumbersome.

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 05:02 AM
hi markw yes its active subwoofer and im looking for a stereo amp something like a nad wich dont have sub pre out puts .

markw
04-03-2008, 05:18 AM
how about question # 2?

Now you've created the need for a question Number 3 : What are the I/O options on the amp setup you are using?

suggestion: If you expect us to read, comprenehend, formulate, and compose understandable answers to your queries, at least have the decency to take the time to think them out first, word them coherently, and provide the needed information. Guessing games get tiresome and you've been here long enough to know better. Dunno about others but for me, prying info out of you is getting old.

If your amp had pre-outs and main-ins you can insert the sub between then, assuning the sub allows that. To determine that, you must answer question # 2.

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 06:12 AM
how about question # 2?

Now you've created the need for a question Number 3 : What are the I/O options on the amp setup you are using?

suggestion: If you expect us to read, comprenehend, formulate, and compose understandable answers to your queries, at least have the decency to take the time to think them out first, word them coherently, and provide the needed information. Guessing games get tiresome and you've been here long enough to know better. Dunno about others but for me, prying info out of you is getting old.

If your amp had pre-outs and main-ins you can insert the sub between then, assuning the sub allows that. To determine that, you must answer question # 2.

My bad lol i should off told you a bit better i looking for a stereo or pre/power amp and i wont to hook it up to a active subwoofer .ive been looking at the mighty nad C370 amp but its got no sub pre out puts .so whats the best way to go about it.i hope that explained it better for you markw :rolleyes5:

markw
04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
If your amp had pre-outs and main-ins you can insert the sub between them, assuming the sub allows that. To determine that, you must answer question # 2.Bye now...

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
markw stop been rude Lol .there so many stereo pre/power amps without sub pre outs but on a HT amp they always have 1 or 2 pre out puts why is that.?

Also what is the different from hooking a sub to a cd line out put and what you just said to a proper sub pre out .?

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Bye now...

Lol my sub as line level inputs left right but markw all subs have the same phono left right inputs m8.:3:

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Also what is the different from hooking a sub to a cd line out put and what you just said to a proper sub pre out .?

How are you going to control the volume of the sub???

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 06:32 AM
What you need is a pre-out on your integrate or a pair of them on the the pre-amplifier. I believe the Nad has amp & pre stages connected via a pre-out and a main-in on the rear of the unit. I don't know if it has a second pre-out though. You could always use y splitters, but I wouldn't recommend that.
If your sub has speaker level inputs, you can also connect it in parallel to the speaker outputs on your power amp/integrated amp with a second pair of speaker wires.

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
How are you going to control the volume of the sub???

the subwoofer will have its own volume on the back .

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Believe me it won't be fun getting up to change the subs volume every time you change the main volume. Might as well not have the sub:1:

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 06:40 AM

So your going to adjust it every time you play with the volume of your main speakers???? :nono: (sorry, just wanted to use this smiley)

markw
04-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Lol my sub as line level inputs left right but markw all subs have the same phono left right inputs m8.:3:A lot only have one line level input which makes them virtually useless on a stereo system without additional invenstment.

Many do have two line level inputs, and many also have line level outputs. You didn't mention them so I assume your sub lacks those outputs, right? All these things are important when asking how to hook up a subwoofer.

Question # 2 was not put there just to be, as Uncle Benny would say, a plick.

sgt bass08
04-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Believe me it won't be fun getting up to change the subs volume every time you change the main volume. Might as well not have the sub:1:

Yeah thats true lol because hooking a sub to cd player line out puts you would be stuck with the volume lol.so on the nad amp if i hook it up like markw said the volume on the nad amp will turn my sub up without having to get up .:wink5: thanks for your help guys

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 07:00 AM
If you use line level inputs/outputs on your sub, I believe the lows on your speakers will be rolled off as a consequence of a filter in the sub.

markw
04-03-2008, 07:24 AM
..which hasn't been ascertained yet.

If you use line level inputs/outputs on your sub, I believe the lows on your speakers will be rolled off as a consequence of a filter in the sub.Most likely, and he'll need two sets of interconnects to/from the sub but this does offer the advantage of saving the main amp and the speakers from dealing with the heavy demands that low. low frequencies pit on them.

Another option, which is the ONLY way if he doesn't have line level outputs on the sub is to run the sub amp in parallel with his main amp and maintain the full range through his main amp and speakers, but this won't alleviate any strain that the bass puts on on them. I run mine this way but it takes forgiving mains, a lot of clean power, and a bit of adjustment. All this requires is a pair of MMF "Y" connectors to maintain the connection between the pre and main amps and an interconnect for the one-way trip to the sub. And, of course, a balancing act when setting it up.

Ajani
04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
My bad lol i should off told you a bit better i looking for a stereo or pre/power amp and i wont to hook it up to a active subwoofer .ive been looking at the mighty nad C370 amp but its got no sub pre out puts .so whats the best way to go about it.i hope that explained it better for you markw :rolleyes5:

The NAD C370 has 2 sets of Pre-outs, so just connect one set to your sub.

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
The NAD C370 has 2 sets of Pre-outs, so just connect one set to your sub.
The problem is I think the second one is only adjustable via the knob next to it

Ajani
04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
The problem is I think the second one is only adjustable via the knob next to it

Nope, both are adjustable by remote....

I think he was refering to the volume control on the sub only being adjustable by the knob next to it....

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Nope, both are adjustable by remote....

I think he was refering to the volume control on the sub only being adjustable by the knob next to it....
No I wasn't referring to the sub, but the second pre-output on the C370, which is described as being 'fixed' & shows to be adjustable via a knob on the rear of the unit, however I don't know if the master volume affects its signal.

Luvin Da Blues
04-03-2008, 10:16 AM
No I wasn't referring to the sub, but the second pre-output on the C370, which is described as being 'fixed' & shows to be adjustable via a knob on the rear of the unit, however I don't know if the master volume affects its signal.

Could that be for level matching of different components (amps)?

Ajani
04-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Hmmm, as far as I know both pre-outs are variable...

sgt bass08
04-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey guys i think ajani is right the sub should just hook up to the pre-outs but i dont know about the nob thing at the back but ill let you know when i get it .

Luvin Da Blues
04-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Hey guys i think ajani is right the sub should just hook up to the pre-outs but i dont know about the nob thing at the back but ill let you know when i get it .

I'll go one better. I KNOW Ajani is right.

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Hey guys i got my nad amp today im well happy with it it weighs a ton .but the only problem is i caint hook my sub to it its the paradgim pdr 10 and its only as one pre out i have tryed all the pre outs at the back of my amp and they wont work what shall i do .

[URL="http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2216/9856034/18567112/313749831.jpg

i know there no cd player on pic im getting a nad cd player to match my amp

markw
04-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Re-read post 14, particularly line 1

This is highly ironic considering post 14 was a direct response to your smart-alec answer in post 8.

Why do you even ask these questions if you don't read the responses?

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Dude i told you i swoped my subs around i now got the paradgim sub pdr 10 .im thining off using speakers wires but what will the souund be like .

audio amateur
04-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Mate i told you to go with the high level inputs. Just use a second pair of speaker wires. Or try the second pre-out on the NAD.

audio amateur
04-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Re-read post 14, particularly line 1

This is highly ironic considering post 14 was a direct response to your smart-alec answer in post 8.

Why do you even ask these questions if you don't read the responses?
Sounds like my mom:D

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Sounds like my mom:D

yeah he does moan alot :18: hey guys i need to know my help smells like a burning smell ive took it apart and there loads off heat inside the amp i caint see anything burning just a smell ive only brought it today .

audio amateur
04-18-2008, 07:10 AM
yeah he does moan alot :18: hey guys i need to know my help smells like a burning smell ive took it apart and there loads off heat were the copper wire is i think the heat and smell comes off a round thing and it says transformer what will that be .
Your what smells?

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 07:25 AM
[URL="http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2216/9856034/18567112/313765383.jpg

my other amp never got that warm and never smelled like this .they are really hot and smell like cooper or something ???

sgt bass08
04-18-2008, 08:08 AM
hello any one ere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!