Next Upgrade? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Next Upgrade?

L.J.
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Anybody got anything on their list? What is it or what are you hoping to improve?

Are you saving up for something...waiting for new BR players to drop?

Perhaps your content with your current setup......LIAR :hand:

GMichael
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I want to pave our driveway and put in a nice sidewalk. Then maybe a few bushes.

L.J.
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I want to pave our driveway and put in a nice sidewalk. Then maybe a few bushes.

JERK!!!!

A/V only.....

GMichael
04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
JERK!!!!

A/V only.....

I was thinking of getting a couple of those rock speakers for outside.

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I haven't replaced my fence yet.

dax
I'm not lying when I say I'm content with my audio system. However, I need (want) an HDTV. Saving up for a Sony KDL52XBR4 and a Bluray. Then I'll be content. At least for a little while....

Rich-n-Texas
So GM, have you gotten your mortgage situation straightened out yet?

GMichael
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Not yet. So no real upgrades.

L.J.
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM

How did I know this thread wouldn't last long :shocked:

BadAssJazz
04-02-2008, 10:08 AM
My next upgrade will be a furniture grade subwoofer. Rel or MJ Acoustics, maybe? The older I get, the more I want a refined look to the home environs. The SVS cylinder is starting to feel too techno-geek chic to me.

GMichael
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
My upgrade list if I could upgrade anything (in the most likely order).

1) A BFD.
2) An HDMI receiver so I can get the new HD audios.
3) A 1080p projector. Right now the Sanyo PLV-Z2000, Panasonic PT-AE2000U and Optoma HD80 top off my list.
4) Center and surrounds to match my Mini's. They are still not for sale yet though. Maybe available late this year or early next.
5) Amp(s). Emotiva looks affordable. 250wpc stereo amp for $799. 200wpc 5 channel for another $799.
5) A BMF sub from AV123 to also match my Mini's.
6) Move current system into the basement including 720p projector, RX-V2500 receiver, Infinity Primus 7.1 system.

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
How did I know this thread wouldn't last long :shocked:
Okay. A PS3. Happy now? :smilewinkgrin:

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 10:32 AM
I think an amp is in my not too distant future plans as well. Probably a 2 channel.

The thing is, and maybe I should start a separate thread, I'm constantly hearing that B&W's like a lot of current. Okay, so what exactly do I gain? And do I need 250 watts like GM talks about on his list? I'm told that Rotel amps won't match up with my listening habits, which are mostly Rock (i.e. Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis), some Jazz (i.e. Jeff Beck, Smooth sounding Jazz), Blues (i.e. Eric Clapton). So who's amp should I be looking at?

L.J.
04-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I think an amp is in my not too distant future plans as well. Probably a 2 channel.

The thing is, and maybe I should start a separate thread, I'm constantly hearing that B&W's like a lot of current. Okay, so what exactly do I gain? And do I need 250 watts like GM talks about on his list? I'm told that Rotel amps won't match up with my listening habits, which are mostly Rock (i.e. Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis), some Jazz (i.e. Jeff Beck, Smooth sounding Jazz), Blues (i.e. Eric Clapton). So who's amp should I be looking at?

yeah, start a new thread jerk :incazzato:

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
:lol: Well, at least it was on topic.

L.J.
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM

1) A BFD.
3) A 1080p projector. Right now the Sanyo PLV-Z2000, Panasonic PT-AE2000U and Optoma HD80 top off my list.
4) Center and surrounds to match my Mini's. They are still not for sale yet though. Maybe available late this year or early next.
5) Amp(s). Emotiva looks affordable. 250wpc stereo amp for $799. 200wpc 5 channel for another $799.
5) A BMF sub from AV123 to also match my Mini's.
6) Move current system into the basement including 720p projector, RX-V2500 receiver, Infinity Primus 7.1 system.

Wow, that's a list.....does your wife know about it :hand:

I like that you put the BFD first. Cheapest upgrade but will make a dramatic improvement in SQ. Geez, I'm starting to sound like Wooch & Kex :shocked:

GMichael
04-02-2008, 10:47 AM

I don't think I need 250 watts either. But the specs seem nice for an $800 amp. Reviews are hot. And it would have all the Amps your B&W's could ever want.

GMichael
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Wow, that's a list.....does your wife know about it :hand:

I like that you put the BFD first. Cheapest upgrade but will make a dramatic improvement in SQ. Geez, I'm starting to sound like Wooch & Kex :shocked:

She knows that I want all these things. She also knows that I won't buy any of it till I know we are out of the woods.

Not a bad duo to sound like. I should be so smart.

audio amateur
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
My next upgrade will be a furniture grade subwoofer. Rel or MJ Acoustics, maybe? The older I get, the more I want a refined look to the home environs. The SVS cylinder is starting to feel too techno-geek chic to me.
Are you based in the US? I'm not sure MJ Acoustics subs are available there. If you're in the UK, check out BK electronics subs as well.

JSE
04-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Hah, I thought he meant a Big F'ing "Richard"! :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Oh you're a riot Jamie!:dita:

L.J.
04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I really don't have a list. Last year was my year (TV, AVR, sound panels, BFD, blackout curtains, PS3, A2......). Maybe a 2 channel amp but nothing expensive. Not sure if my system would benefit from it though.

Rich, when you gonna start that amp thread....I gotta couple of questions myself.

Luvin Da Blues
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
My lungs, I just quit smoking.

But seriously, speakers. I'm thinking about the Theil CS3.7 or the PSB Synchrony One but obliviously going to audition more brands also. This all depends if I get the job in Australia I'm hoping for.

I was happy with my PSB G-Designs until I upgraded my preamp and amp (thanks O'Shag, LOL)

kexodusc
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM

1) A BFD.
Got it

Need it

Need it

I am as yet undecided on this brand. Haven't got play with one. Price is nice but I'd like to see how they're doing in a few years.

We've just sold our house, so as soon as the freakin' snow melts I can start with moving everything to the next house.
I am as yet undecided if i will get a new receiver, or just get a BluRay player capable of decoding all the fancy audio formats for now? HDMI receivers got back to being fairly pricey compared to comparable performing models from a few years back. But they sure can offer some convenience. My wife's already buying new furniture, not sure I'll have enough dough left over after Armageddon.

The priority list looks like this:
1) 1080p projector + screen
2) BluRay player or PS3
3) New chair...i've worn the ass grove to the pine
4) A/V Receiver

Then I tackle my next project - Infinite Baffle sub.

kexodusc
04-02-2008, 02:00 PM

I listen to a lot of prog rock - Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes, Dream Theater, Genesis, Pain of Salvation etc, and a ton of Jazz, Blues, and classical.
Certainly seems to sound pretty good on my Rotel.

I also have a few NAD amps lying around that offer different presentation. I like them too, but the Rotel has a more neutral sound to me. Forget what people tell you. Listen for yourself.

Jack in Wilmington
04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I've been using my vacation club at work to save up for AV goodies.I just got done saving up for speakers. The new club started this week and I'm putting away $40/week again, this time for a new HDTV. Then the following year for a new sub. The wife says I need to have everything bought before I retire. That is in the summer of 2011. Looks like I'm running out of years.

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
...Rich, when you gonna start that amp thread....I gotta couple of questions myself.
Well, Kex did answer most of my questions, but I'd still like to know what exactly the end result of feeding my speakers more current is.

Wait a minute... you're not going to hijack it and run it into the ground are ya? :mad5:

Rich-n-Texas
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
My lungs, I just quit smoking.
Good for you LDB. I quit about ten years ago. It's the right thing to do so hang in there.

bobsticks
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I think I need something more exotic and with less polish than the focus of my recent efforts...mebbe somethin' like this:

I wouldn't mind getting into some vintage tube stuff too until HDMI is locked down.

Luvin Da Blues
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Good for you LDB. I quit about ten years ago. It's the right thing to do so hang in there.

Thanks, I gotta pay for my next upgrade somehow. LOL

Actually, with Zyban it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. 1 1/2 weeks and counting. :3:

pixelthis
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, Kex did answer most of my questions, but I'd still like to know what exactly the end result of feeding my speakers more current is.

Wait a minute... you're not going to hijack it and run it into the ground are ya? :mad5:

Not as much strain, more coherent imaging, a stronger amp means less chance of clipping.
But the main advantage of seperates is a seperate power supply for every amp.
This is ideal.
And we ALL know that tweeters require a lot of current (ahem)

As for MY upgrade list...
1.Alpo instead of fancy feast
2. Twenty dollar crack hos instead of ten dollar crack hos
3. a used ten speed instead of the one I found under an abandoned house
4. My newest piece of gear being 2 years old instead of four years old
5. A gallon of gas
Now if old GW would hurry up with that rebate check...:1:

pixelthis
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I'm so happy.
When people start out in this hobby they don't care that their living room looks
like circuit city puked on it, wire management?
WHO CARES?
Then one day it happens, you get tired of living in a place that looks like a warehouse
for a guy who sell stuff that has "fallen off a truck".
YOU START TO INTEGRATE YOUR SYSTEM WITH
unified remotes, automation, check into lighting, trim , cabinets, drapes, and
mainly
FURNITURE GRADE SUBS.
You realize that the ambience of your HT/ listening area is about half of the enjoyment.
Or maybe you're just getting old.
Check your prostate:1:

f0rge
04-03-2008, 06:40 AM
i need a better way to do my rears, my stereo guy is working on some crazy way to have wireless surrounds that don't suck with ~65wpc. if i like what i hear i'll probably jump on that.

other than that i'd like to put together a 2ch bookshelf system for the bedroom

BadAssJazz, if you're selling that SVS in the future shoot me a PM :D

GMichael
04-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm so happy.
When people start out in this hobby they don't care that their living room looks
like circuit city puked on it, wire management?
WHO CARES?
Then one day it happens, you get tired of living in a place that looks like a warehouse
for a guy who sell stuff that has "fallen off a truck".
YOU START TO INTEGRATE YOUR SYSTEM WITH
unified remotes, automation, check into lighting, trim , cabinets, drapes, and
mainly
FURNITURE GRADE SUBS.
You realize that the ambience of your HT/ listening area is about half of the enjoyment.
Or maybe you're just getting old.
Check your prostate:1:

HAHAHAHHA This is great.

A quick summery goes something like this.

You're getting smarter. Time to stick a finger in your ....

What? No glove?

GMichael
04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
I think I need something more exotic and with less polish than the focus of my recent efforts...mebbe somethin' like this:

I wouldn't mind getting into some vintage tube stuff too until HDMI is locked down.

Babe's got back.

L.J.
04-03-2008, 07:14 AM

Hmm.....nope I already got one of those. She has a butterfly tatoo thingie as well :wink5:

Yes, LJ is a lucky SOB :3:

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 10:02 AM

a lil' polish is never bad:D

basite
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
okay, so a little bit back on topic :)

in no particular option:
- new CDP or DAC (rega apollo, naim, primare or PSaudio DAC)
- new speaker cables
- projector
- new tt
- new cartridge for tt
- new phonostage for tt

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Interconnect, perhaps subwoofer after that.. Plans are vague at the moment

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Hmm.....nope I already got one of those. She has a butterfly tatoo thingie as well :wink5:

All that and a rockin' system too. L.J. you are the man.

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
a lil' polish is never bad:D

Don't say "never". Wait till you foot the bill.

bobsticks
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
:

I don't know about half but I would agree that it's an underemphasized issue.

As for the gloves, GM didn't you say some were available at "Adam's House of Fedish Gloves"?

pixelthis
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i need a better way to do my rears, my stereo guy is working on some crazy way to have wireless surrounds that don't suck with ~65wpc. if i like what i hear i'll probably jump on that.

other than that i'd like to put together a 2ch bookshelf system for the bedroom

BadAssJazz, if you're selling that SVS in the future shoot me a PM :D

If you need help with "doing" your rears then GM is the one to ask.
Nobodies done more rears than him .
AND wireless surround?
We'll gather around you in the courtyard, take the batteries out of your remotes,
cut up your best buy credit card and kick you out the front gate with nothing more than a
GPX CD player :1:

f0rge
04-04-2008, 05:00 AM
lol pix be nice...

and i said i was going to see what it sounded like first, i mean i currently stream music wirelessly over my network from my laptop to my stereo, why couldnt a transmitter/receiver combo with similar wireless protocols do a decent job of transferring sound from receiver to speaker?

i'm not talking some POS line of site infrared garbage, looking at something totally custom

GMichael
04-04-2008, 05:10 AM
I don't know about half but I would agree that it's an underemphasized issue.

As for the gloves, GM didn't you say some were available at "Adam's House of Fedish Gloves"?

We're selling them. 3 for $1.00. (don't ask where the fourth glove went)

GMichael
04-04-2008, 05:13 AM
If you need help with "doing" your rears then GM is the one to ask.
Nobodies done more rears than him .
AND wireless surround?
We'll gather around you in the courtyard, take the batteries out of your remotes,
cut up your best buy credit card and kick you out the front gate with nothing more than a
GPX CD player :1:

It's so nice of you to think of me so often Pix. I'm flattered. But you're still not my type. Sorry.
It's not you. It's me.
But we can still be friends, right?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
04-04-2008, 06:06 AM
It's so nice of you to think of me so often Pix. I'm flattered. But you're still not my type. Sorry.
It's not you. It's me.
HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I HEARD THAT!!! :incazzato: :cryin:

Rich-n-Texas
04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
...i mean i currently stream music wirelessly over my network from my laptop to my stereo...
:cryin:

Seriously though, I think I'll just pick up a USB Flash drive this weekend since they're so cheap.

f0rge
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
:cryin:

Seriously though, I think I'll just pick up a USB Flash drive this weekend since they're so cheap.

read this (including the airtunes part)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort#AirPort_Express_.28802.11g_or_802.11n.29

pixelthis
04-07-2008, 12:07 AM

That butterfly "thingy" is called a tramp stamp. Doesnt mean YOUR old lady is a tramp tho, just an expression.:1:

pixelthis
04-07-2008, 12:10 AM
It's not you. It's me.

Kinda hard to miss you with you always there with your little "critiques"
(which is like a resus monkey trying to teach math to EINSTEIN):1:

pixelthis
04-07-2008, 12:25 AM
lol pix be nice...

and i said i was going to see what it sounded like first, i mean i currently stream music wirelessly over my network from my laptop to my stereo, why couldnt a transmitter/receiver combo with similar wireless protocols do a decent job of transferring sound from receiver to speaker?

i'm not talking some POS line of site infrared garbage, looking at something totally custom

THE STREAM from laptop to stereo is data, you're talking music and audio.
Also I am leery of this whole wireless craze, even tho my keyboard and mouse is same.
Arent you a tad worried about someone hacking your system?
THE ACCUMILATION of microwaves frying your kittykat?
Wireless is okay under certain circumstances, but should be kept to a minimum, IMHO.
THE ONLY REASON FOR WIRELESS rears is being too lazy to run some cable, either under the floor, or on the floor with a rug thrown over em.
And wireless rears vilolate the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid)
AND DONT FORGET, WIRELESS REARS MEAN two cheap amps to drive your rears.
Your opening up pandoras box son, first its speakers, then wireless toasters and refrigerators:1:

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Well, if somebody wants to hack into my wireless toaster, so be it.
I LIKE BURNT TOAST.

GMichael
04-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Kinda hard to miss you with you always there with your little "critiques"
(which is like a resus monkey trying to teach math to EINSTEIN):1:

You think of yourself as a monkey? I don't. You're much smarter than that Pix. Give yourself some credit.

f0rge
04-07-2008, 06:59 AM
THE STREAM from laptop to stereo is data, you're talking music and audio.
Also I am leery of this whole wireless craze, even tho my keyboard and mouse is same.
Arent you a tad worried about someone hacking your system?
THE ACCUMILATION of microwaves frying your kittykat?
Wireless is okay under certain circumstances, but should be kept to a minimum, IMHO.
THE ONLY REASON FOR WIRELESS rears is being too lazy to run some cable, either under the floor, or on the floor with a rug thrown over em.
And wireless rears vilolate the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid)
AND DONT FORGET, WIRELESS REARS MEAN two cheap amps to drive your rears.
Your opening up pandoras box son, first its speakers, then wireless toasters and refrigerators:1:

i cant really run wires, i live in an apt and sure, running to the right rear is great, the left is impossible without taping wires to the ceiling, which looks terrible.

and no i'm not worried about someone hacking my network, even if they did what would be the point?

i'm a little worried about the DACs and the small amps for the rears myself, but like i said i'd have to hear it first, if it sucks i wont be buying it.

i'm just getting desperate, since i moved (about 1.5 months ago) i've been sans rear channel sound.

L.J.
04-07-2008, 07:05 AM
That butterfly "thingy" is called a tramp stamp. Doesnt mean YOUR old lady is a tramp tho, just an expression.:1:

Sometimes I wonder why you even bother. Well Pix, if it makes YOU feel any better, I've been with my wife since age 15. I was their when she got the tat. And if you came to my house you would know that my wife loves butterflies, because the stupid things are everywhere. She's always had a thing for 'em.

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2008, 07:22 AM
So does that mean you've been married to her since age 15? :eek:

GMichael
04-07-2008, 07:59 AM
HS sweethearts? How cool. You two must know each other very well by now.

L.J.
04-07-2008, 08:53 AM
So does that mean you've been married to her since age 15? :eek:

No since age 18 :cornut: . Her mom wouldn't sign the papers so we had to wait and get married on her 18th birthday.

HS sweethearts? How cool. You two must know each other very well by now.

Different HS but yeah you can say that. We've been through it all together. First jobs, first cars, first little apartment....you get the point. Alot of people thought we were crazy but 10 years later, and 2 kids, were still going strong.

kexodusc
04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
No since age 18 :cornut: . Her mom wouldn't sign the papers so we had to wait and get married on her 18th birthday.

Different HS but yeah you can say that. We've been through it all together. First jobs, first cars, first little apartment....you get the point. Alot of people thought we were crazy but 10 years later, and 2 kids, were still going strong.

We have a similar story - met my wife at school in Atlanta 1998 - engaged 5 years later, married 2 years after that!

Lemme see here...If my math is any good, you might be younger than me, LJ...You'll have to PM me the truth...

Loser gets to call the other junior! :ciappa:

L.J.
04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
We have a similar story - met my wife at school in Atlanta 1998 - engaged 5 years later, married 2 years after that!

Lemme see here...If my math is any good, you might be younger than me, LJ...You'll have to PM me the truth...

Loser gets to call the other junior! :ciappa:

I think I'm older JR :biggrin5:

I'm 3 years older than my wife. I meant to put I've been with her since she was 15.

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
There are a 1,000,000 wisecracks I could make in this thread, but instead...

What was this thread about? :p

L.J.
04-07-2008, 11:01 AM
There are a 1,000,000 wisecracks I could make in this thread, but instead...

What was this thread about? :p

Ow you can make a wisecrack or two. Do threads ever stay on topic here? Most of us don't even really talk HT too much anymore.

Feanor
04-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Anybody got anything on their list? What is it or what are you hoping to improve?

Are you saving up for something...waiting for new BR players to drop?

Perhaps your content with your current setup......LIAR :hand:

An HDTV to replace my CRT ...

I'm think in terms of a 42", 1080p plazma. It won't likely be before late Fall.

My current HT:

Samsung 27" TV, CRT
Oppo DV-980H universal player
Panasonic SA-XR25 receiver
Paradigm MiniMonitor V3 fronts
DIY Vifa/BGCorp center
Boston Acoustics A60 rears
PSB Subsonic 6 subwoofer
Satilite TV from Bell ExpressVu, (no HD)

Luvin Da Blues
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
An HDTV to replace my CRT ...I'm think in terms of a 42", 1080p plazma. It won't likely be before late Fall.

Plasma?????????
Bill, your not paying attention to other threads here.:biggrin5:

bobsticks
04-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by pixelthis
That butterfly "thingy" is called a tramp stamp. Doesnt mean YOUR old lady is a tramp tho, just an expression.

Sometimes I wonder why you even bother. Well Pix, if it makes YOU feel any better, I've been with my wife since age 15. I was their when she got the tat. And if you came to my house you would know that my wife loves butterflies, because the stupid things are everywhere. She's always had a thing for 'em.

Just so everyone's on the same page and this doesn't cause a rift in the delicate fabric of civility 'round this place, L.J.'s wife is emphatically not a tramp and hopefully whomever I next meet will be.

Rich-n-Texas
04-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Where the HE!! is he getting all those great Joker pictures???:incazzato:

BadAssJazz
04-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Where the HE!! is he getting all those great Joker pictures???:incazzato:

Is that the Joker or the Crow?

Rich-n-Texas
04-10-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't know who the Crow is, but sticks' avatar looks like the Joker from the upcoming Batman movie titled "The Dark Night"

BadAssJazz
04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't know who the Crow is, but sticks' avatar looks like the Joker from the upcoming Batman movie titled "The Dark Night"

Looks like the adaptation of the comic book character, The Crow, to me. But who knows, given the right scowl, most of that genre of toons look alike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crow:_City_of_Angels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Perez_crow.JPG