Cerwin Vega Speakers ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega Speakers ?

omikey
03-06-2004, 06:59 AM
I have a chance to pick up a pair of Cerwin Vega 123 mains. Anyone know about these speakers ? What can be said for them ? The guy says they are about 16 years old and he wants $500 bucks for them. Are they worth that ? I haven't heard them as they are sitting in his basement disconnected. What type of sound do they have ? Base or Bright ? I don't like/want bright speakers ......
I would consider using these on my enclosed deck or the bedroom, would these be a good fit for this use of these speakers ?

Thanks,
Mike

T-Bone
03-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey...

Why is this guy selling these speakers? I guess I would say that for 16 year old speakers, you had better listen to them first. Cerwin-Vega speakers are good loud rock speakers, but I do not know how they age.

Depending on how much space you need to fill with sound, you could go and puchase some Klipsch speakers with the $500. Klipsch is also a good loud/rock speaker... and they are REAL easy to drive, even with a small amp.

omikey
03-06-2004, 07:55 AM
T-Bone ..... I asked him y he's selling them, he said that he bought new stuff a few years ago and thought he would use them in some other part of the house but has never done so, so he has decided to part with them.

I'll request to listen to them before plunking down any money for sure. I was thinking that for 500 smakers that I could get new speakers .... but since I didn't know anything about the Cerwin Vegas I thought I'd check in here first ... maybe for 500 I can't get new as good as these ..... Since I haven't listened to these YET

Thanks for you input T-Bone

03-06-2004, 10:38 AM
500 bux for 16 year old speakers?
depending how much they cost before...but it sounds sorta expensive for something that old. Careful cuz if its foam insulated...then it may be deteriorated from all those years

markw
03-06-2004, 12:16 PM
... and this model number did not pop up. Nothing that turned up there was anywhere near this price.

IOW, if you buy these for that price, email me. I wanna talk to ya about a bridge I gots fer sale in NYC.

(Just funnin' ya I'm sure you get the hint.)

omikey
03-06-2004, 01:30 PM
... and this model number did not pop up. Nothing that turned up there was anywhere near this price.

IOW, if you buy these for that price, email me. I wanna talk to ya about a bridge I gots fer sale in NYC.

(Just funnin' ya I'm sure you get the hint.)
OK OK, that's WAY over the top for these old speakers...... so if I get him down to a couple hundred ... maybe they are worth it.

So far nobody has said anything about the speaker, only that 500 is to much to pay.
Does anyone have any experience with the sound from these speakers ?

markw
03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Dunno about this particular speaker but I've never been too impressed with any Cerwin Vega! product. Great loud, in-yo-face, dry your hair type party sound but not my cup of tea. Of course, tastes vary and this is not to dis anyone who likes them.

You might try this site http://www.audiokarma.org/ and ask for "Thor" on the speakers page. He might know a little more about these particular speakers.

Just like here you'll need to register, but the price is the same there as it was here. Nice buncha mixed nuts and vintage is a real big thing there.

vivisimonvi
03-06-2004, 11:13 PM
I agree 500 is too much for USED CV speakers (at any age). Most of their home top of the line main speakers of any series go around 600 on average. I have the top of the line of the E series that I got for 550 brand new. Because of their size they're very efficient (at 103 db at 1 watt) and handle a lot of power (don't worry about blowing the speakers unless you really want to become deaf first). Most are fuse protected anyways...

Yeah they make good rock/techno speakers but sound a lot better if you have a good preamp. I use software on my computer as a preamp from my PC to my home stereo and they sound fantastic.

I'm not sure I've heard of the 123 ones... although you might be interested in their new "Classic" series which are quite different from the rest, unless vintage is your thing...

omikey
03-07-2004, 05:02 AM
I'd like to Thank everyone for their input on my question on these speakers.

I'm going to pass on this and just continue to look around for a used pair of 'soft' speakers for the deck. We're not as young as we used to be and seldom crank up a bunch of watts. As such I am not looking for 'in yo face' loud rock speakers.

Thanks again
Mike

Mark - Thanks for the lead on the other fourm, I might drop in there just to ask.

vivis - Thanks for the info on CV in general and price info