Making connections to new hdtv [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Making connections to new hdtv

rick390
04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Just purchased a Mits 65 in dlp tv. My hd sat receiver/dvr will be delivered tomorrow. My tv has two hdmi inputs. My Pioneer a/v receiver has no hdmi inputs.

So I hook up my two hdmi cables from my dvd player and sat receiver to the two tv hdmi inputs right? Then I hook up optical or coax cables from those two devices to my a/v receiver right?

Or should I use the digital coax cable out from the tv to the digital input on my a/v receiver?

Should that do the trick or do I need to hook up any video cables to my a/v receiver?

Appreciate any suggestions you might have for my audio or video hookups.

frenchmon
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Just purchased a Mits 65 in dlp tv. My hd sat receiver/dvr will be delivered tomorrow. My tv has two hdmi inputs. My Pioneer a/v receiver has no hdmi inputs.

So I hook up my two hdmi cables from my dvd player and sat receiver to the two tv hdmi inputs right? Then I hook up optical or coax cables from those two devices to my a/v receiver right?

Or should I use the digital coax cable out from the tv to the digital input on my a/v receiver?

Should that do the trick or do I need to hook up any video cables to my a/v receiver?

Thats one way...what Pioneer do you have? Does it have component video ( green, blue and red) on the back?

frenchmon

rick390
04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
My Pioneer is a VSX-D912. It does have component inputs.

pixelthis
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM

the first way is the way to go, use the HDMI to shoot video to your set, and optical
or coax to send sound to your receiver.
When you hook your hdmi up to your monitor you will be able to hear the audio portion through your monitors built in speakers, Thats it.
the only thing your digital out will provide is the audio from your sets built in digital tuner.
THE AUDIO FROM YOUR HDMI WILL BE HANDY WHEN YOU JUST WANT
TO turn on your set briefly and listen to the news or something.
You will need a HDMI capable receiver to be able to use the audio portion of your hdmi for anything else.
In other words the "digital out" on your monitor is flippin useless for anything except
cable or antenna reception through the tuner.
Of course they don't tell you that when you buy the thing:1:

rick390
04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
No wonder I can't get "dolby digital" to come up on my a/v receiver when I use the digital out from the tv. I went back to running it direct from the sat receiver to my Pioneer and voila, dolby digital is displayed when it should be.
One other gripe I have. I had two optical cables ready to use for my audio hookups but neither my tv, dvd, or sat receiver has optical outputs. They all have digital coax cables outputs so of course I had to spend more money to pick up a couple of them.
Oh the humanity!

pixelthis
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
No wonder I can't get "dolby digital" to come up on my a/v receiver when I use the digital out from the tv. I went back to running it direct from the sat receiver to my Pioneer and voila, dolby digital is displayed when it should be.
One other gripe I have. I had two optical cables ready to use for my audio hookups but neither my tv, dvd, or sat receiver has optical outputs. They all have digital coax cables outputs so of course I had to spend more money to pick up a couple of them.
Oh the humanity!

if your channel that your TV tuner is tuned to is HD it should be DD, in which case it will pass.
And I GET the hell thrown at me for saying this but any quality cable with RCA jacks will serve as a coax cable.
A lot is made about whether or not a cable is 75 ohm, but with digital this hardly matters.
I got a "coax" cable at ratshack once, it was even painted orange (coax plugs are orange)
and it even seemed WORSE:1:

frenchmon
04-03-2008, 06:50 AM
My Pioneer is a VSX-D912. It does have component inputs.

Your component inputs on your reciever may be able to pass the better sound, HDMI audio through your reciever if your source (Sat reciever) has component out puts. Marantz older models can do this but don't know about Pioneer.

frenchmon

frenchmon
04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Sorry...I am mistaken. The Component inputs on your reciever will be able to pass the HDMI picture, not sound.

If you have an Blue ray or HD DVD player you can get TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, dts-HD Master Audio or any of the High Def audio formats by connecting from the 7.1 analog audio output of your Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player to the 7.1 EXT. IN on your receiver, if it has them, and you will be able to listen to any format the player can output. Both the disc AND the player need to have the sound format to be able to play it through your receiver. Example - If your Blu-Ray disc has Dolby Digital Plus, but your DVD player can not decode it, your receiver will not receive the Dolby Digital Plus information, and therefore won't output the sound.

frenchmon