Your valueable inputs may grand a reward. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your valueable inputs may grand a reward.

gjpham
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi all,
Can y’all do me a quick & small favor. Any time at your convenience (well, the quicker the better), please ohm out your RCA interconnect cable to see if you have a continuity of the ground from 1 end of the cable to the other end. The ground is the outside metal rings, not the center pins. Also, please add your cable descriptions if you could (name brand, model, and length).
Reply format:
Continuity: Yes/No
Name Brand: xxx
Model: xxx
Length: xxx feet/meter.

Thank all,

markw
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The shield is only connected to the source end of the cable, not both sides. They will generally have an arrow or some such indicating the direction of the signal flow from a grounding perspective.

See a thread on "directional interconnects" in hte able (I think) forum for more on this.

Smokey
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
The shield is only connected to the source end of the cable, not both sides. They will generally have an arrow or some such indicating the direction of the signal flow from a grounding perspective.

Although that is true, but for RCA type cables/connectors the meter will read “DC” short when measuring between RCA’s outer (negative) connectors whether the shield is floating on one end or not.

The only way to measure the shield is to tap the shield itself :)

markw
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
The only way to measure the shield is to tap the shield itself :)So, if the shield isn't connected to anything, how can it be grounded?

gjpham
04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
So, if the shield isn't connected to anything, how can it be grounded?

It is grounded to the chassy of the source (DVD) and the Preamp (receiver).

markw
04-02-2008, 07:05 AM
It is grounded to the chassy of the source (DVD) and the Preamp (receiver).I agree with you, but in order to do so, it would need to be connected to the outer connection of one (source) RCA plug. But, if it's connected on only one side, that would mean that the other RCA plug's outer connection would not be connected (or grounded), ergo, there would be no continunity between the two RCA plugs, which is my contention.

I was hoping for more clarification from Smokey on this issue that the while both RCA plugs show continunity, the shield could still be lifted on one end and yet remain grounded.

gjpham
04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I agree with you, but in order to do so, it would need to be connected to the outer connection of one (source) RCA plug. But, if it's connected on only one side, that would mean that the other RCA plug's outer connection would not be connected (or grounded), ergo, there would be no continunity between the two RCA plugs, which is my contention.

I was hoping for more clarification from Smokey on this issue that the while both RCA plugs show continunity, the shield could still be lifted on one end and yet remain grounded.

For example, if I tap/solder the shielding layer of the cable to the outsider ring of the RCA plug and hook that end up to the DVD. Instantly, the shielding of the cable itself is grounded. If I tap/solder BOTH END of the plugs and hook it up to the system, DVD and receiver, the shielding of the cable is still grounding AND the grounding is now also shorted (have coninuity) from the DVD to the pre/receiver. Wow, didn't realize that my post is now so related to "directional IC" in this section.hehehe
However, I still don't have any one reply to my original question. "Do your RCA IC cable have a continuity on the outer ring (aka negative/shielding)? C'mon guys, it's not that hard and it is no time consume what so ever. I know we have lots of audio geeks in here.
Off the record, unlike high voltage AC, our IC cables need no negative for the current/votltage to return after it passes the resistant such as light bulbs, etc. IC cable carries very low power/energy and it is for transfering data frmo A to B, not from B back to A. Think of it as a bullet, it will never return soon it exiting the pistol, hehehe, j/k. But anyways, I may repeat of what ppl have said in other post but this is my theory.

E-Stat
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
But, if it's connected on only one side, that would mean that the other RCA plug's outer connection would not be connected (or grounded), ergo, there would be no continunity between the two RCA plugs, which is my contention.
Exactly. I took this as an April Fool's joke!

rw

markw
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM

rwWith Smokey it's hard to tell. :)

Plus, it appears to have been posted on the second, not the first.

Smokey
04-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Again, that is true.

What I was referring to was we can not tell from measurement taken from both end of RCA cable whether the shield is grounded on one end or not. A short already exist between RCA’a negative connectors via (-) leg of signal path.

I don’t see any way one can find out about whether the shield of RCA cable is grounded on one or not unless we look at its specification/schematic or do a visual check.

For example, if I tap/solder the shielding layer of the cable to the outsider ring of the RCA plug and hook that end up to the DVD. Instantly, the shielding of the cable itself is grounded. If I tap/solder BOTH END of the plugs and hook it up to the system, DVD and receiver, the shielding of the cable is still grounding AND the grounding is now also shorted (have coninuity) from the DVD to the pre/receiver.

I am having a little trouble with that statement :)

You have to realize that whether you solder one end of shield to RCA outer ring or connect both side of the shield, the grounding is shorted (have continuity) from the DVD to the pre/receiver. Signal need ground to get back home.

Off the record, unlike high voltage AC, our IC cables need no negative for the current/votltage to return after it passes the resistant such as light bulbs, etc. IC cable carries very low power/energy and it is for transfering data frmo A to B, not from B back to A.

That statement is not true.

Every current need a return path to where it originate from. Think of current as a closed loop where the current flow from the source around the loop and back to source again. If there is any break in the loop, the current will not flow.

A joke in the cable forum. You must be kidding :D

markw
04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
What I was referring to was we can not tell from measurement taken from both end of RCA cable whether the shield is grounded on one end or not. A short already exist between RCA’a negative connectors via (-) leg of signal path.To call an intentional connection between the two outer connections a short may well be a misnomer. It could easily be intentional and, unless the cable indictes a direction, you can count on it being intentional.

And, if there is no continunity, and the interconnect is marked for directionality, I think we can pretty much assume the shield/RCA connection is on the originating end, where the arrow points from.

Smokey
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
And, if there is no continunity, and the interconnect is marked for directionality, I think we can pretty much assume the shield/RCA connection is on the originating end, where the arrow points from.

Mark

I think it might help if we break down as to what type of RCA cables we are talking about, mostly likely twisted pair with shield and Coax cable design.

Most of my argument apply to twisted pair design where the shield can be floating on one end. One leg of pair is connected to negative side of RCA connectors and show a short.

The Coax type cable seem to be the one that might need further discussion. And my first question would be if there no continuity between RCA connectors, then when connected-wouldn’t that indicate an uneven ground between audio components it is connecting?

markw
04-03-2008, 03:20 AM
OP simply asked for a poll on which ic's had continuity between the shield connection on the RCA jacks. I simply gave him a reason as to why there may not be continuity in some cases.

Then you follow me with one of your famously murky (smokey?) posts and now you spend post after post trying to explain what you "meant"? Heck, you should have either kept out of it or left well enough alone. You did get credit for a great April Fool's joke with it.

As for your last paragraph, I guess you didn't read the thread on "directional Interconnects", did you?

TTFN

E-Stat
04-03-2008, 01:55 PM
OP simply asked for a poll on which ic's had continuity between the shield connection on the RCA jacks.
Take another look. He merely referenced the ground. Which is why the post, title, and day of post led me to believe he was just pulling our legs. If there is no continuity, the cable won't work!

rw

Smokey
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Take another look. He merely referenced the ground. Which is why the post, title, and day of post led me to believe he was just pulling our legs. If there is no continuity, the cable won't work!

From gjpham #7 post, it is apparent he assumed that signal did not need a return path via ground. Hopefully our discussion in this thread (and my murky posts :D) answer some of his questions.

gjpham
04-03-2008, 08:31 PM

rw

I'm sorry I did not see the "directional IC" until later, after I post up my thread. You stated: "If there is no cotinuity, the cable won't work". Are you saying if there is no shielding /negative/ grounding tapped or soldered to the outer ring (s) of the RCA cable, then it won't work? I may come up too strong from this but I won't regret saying it: Will give you $1,000 if it is still working w/o that believe. Data is still transfering from DVD to Preamp/receiver without the cable shielding shorted to the outer ring. I have done multiple hands-on tests from A-Z and already have many diff results in sound quality justifying it by ears (no electronic test equipments). All I need is y'all to ohm out the outer ring from both end of teh RCA cable to see if you have continuity. I strongly look for those with $500+ per pair.

Regards,

E-Stat
04-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I Are you saying if there is no shielding /negative/ grounding tapped or soldered to the outer ring (s) of the RCA cable, then it won't work?
First of all, the word "shield" is completely absent from your initial post. A signal requires two conductors in order to work. If there is no continuity between the outer conductors at the different ends of an IC, there will be no signal.

Will give you $1,000 if it is still working w/o that believe.
Would you kindly rephrase that? Not sure what you are saying.

Data is still transfering from DVD to Preamp/receiver without the cable shielding shorted to the outer ring.
Once again, I am referring to your original commentary devoid of reference to shielding.

rw

hermanv
04-04-2008, 09:47 PM
It is possible that the chassis of the equipment at both ends of a interconnect cable are grounded to each other by way of the three pin power plug. So a signal would pass from one piece of equipment to the other.

This is NOT GOOD!

Smokey is right, any signal transfer requires a loop, signal in and signal return. Any interconnect cable that measures open from one outer shell to the other outer shell is DEFECTIVE!

The only exception would be a cable with those equalizing boxes near the ends (might have a capacitor in series).