Hey, this new R.E.M. album. . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey, this new R.E.M. album. . .

Slosh
03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
. . .rawks!

First spin but so far it's lots of raunchy guitar. Wow, are they indie again? Me likey:)

NP: (duh!)

Swish
04-01-2008, 04:28 AM
. . .rawks!

First spin but so far it's lots of raunchy guitar. Wow, are they indie again? Me likey:)

NP: (duh!)

..fan to begin with, but I heard this is stripped down and rockin', so maybe I should give it a shot?

Swish

ForeverAutumn
04-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Wow, how'd you get that so quick? I'm hoping to pick it up today. The new Muse disk is out today too. Should I send you a copy Swishy?

Mr MidFi
04-01-2008, 05:45 AM
I've had them on auto-buy since 1983, so I'll be stepping out to my local retailer come lunch-break. I have heard that it's somewhat similar to New Adventures, but different. That would be A-OK by me.

I'll have an opinion to share in a day or two.

nobody
04-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm gonna have to listen to this. My little brother is a huge REM fan and while I've lost track, he's kept with them all the way through. But, this is the first one he actually doesn't like. Yet, I'm hearing a bunch of raves about it. Interesting contrast....now I'm curious about a new REM record, which I haven't really been in over a decade.

ForeverAutumn
04-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Three spins and I like it a lot!

Mr MidFi
04-02-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm 2 spins in, and I can say this is the first REM disc to grab me from the get-go since 1986 or so. I end up liking just about all of them, of course, but usually they require repeated listens.

There is no one "wow" track or moment, but the whole thing holds your interest pretty well. And yeah, it rocks balls. Nothing at all like their last release. Very stripped down, brief, deliberate rock 'n roll. Nice job. But it's really short; like 36 minutes, I think. But whatever, thumb's up. Me likey.

I'm pretty sure these new songs will work well live, and set the tone for a rockin' show.

Threadjacking query: Has anyone heard the new Black Keys disc, released yesterday? I heard some samples yesterday, and was intrigued.

nobody
04-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I only heard part of this earlier today at low volume so hard to judge...but sounded a bit like a more scruffy version of Monster. I didn't like Monster, but the scruffier version may be better...gonna have to listen again when I can turn it up and all that.

noddin0ff
04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
The internet is a strange place... you can listen to the whole album here in streaming mp3.

It goes without saying, iLike.

http://www.ilike.com/artist/R.E.M./album/Accelerate

Jim Clark
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm glad someone smacked them is the head and reminded them that they're a rock band. This band, along with U2 basically pioneered the whole "alternative" thing. Nice to have them back.

Anyone grab the vinyl copy? I was kinda kicking myself for not thinking about it until I had already opened my 9.99 Best Buy copy.

180 gram vinyl and 45 RPM which strikes me as a little bit odd but most all of my records are old since I rarely buy newer releases on vinyl. This one has a CD included which overcomes my primary objection.

Wish someone had smacked me in the head.

jc

Swish
04-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm glad someone smacked them is the head and reminded them that they're a rock band. This band, along with U2 basically pioneered the whole "alternative" thing. Nice to have them back.

Anyone grab the vinyl copy? I was kinda kicking myself for not thinking about it until I had already opened my 9.99 Best Buy copy.

180 gram vinyl and 45 RPM which strikes me as a little bit odd but most all of my records are old since I rarely buy newer releases on vinyl. This one has a CD included which overcomes my primary objection.

Wish someone had smacked me in the head.

jc

You were right on with R.E.M. since they were among the very first popular Alternative bands in the early 80s, but U2 was relatively unknown until "The Joshua Tree' which was released in 1987. I would credit Echo and the Bunnymen as being among the first, and I still say that The Edge patterned his playing after Will Sergeant, and I live Echo way more than U2. Way more.

I may have to buy that LP, and I did order that Shure M97xe you suggestion...and from LP Gear that Luvin Da Blues recommended. Kindest regards to both of you. Now...where is the best place to buy that REM on vinyl???

Swish

Jim Clark
04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
You were right on with R.E.M. since they were among the very first popular Alternative bands in the early 80s, but U2 was relatively unknown until "The Joshua Tree' which was released in 1987. I would credit Echo and the Bunnymen as being among the first, and I still say that The Edge patterned his playing after Will Sergeant, and I live Echo way more than U2. Way more.

I may have to buy that LP, and I did order that Shure M97xe you suggestion...and from LP Gear that Luvin Da Blues recommended. Kindest regards to both of you. Now...where is the best place to buy that REM on vinyl???

Swish

Murmur was released in '83, the same time as U2's War. Maybe it was just me, but U2 was pretty big by then. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Two Hearts Beat As One, and New Year's Day were all staples on MTV. All of those tracks, however were predated by "Gloria" which served as my introduction to U2. I then backtracked and picked up the first U2 release which of course featured "I Will Follow". I do think that this track wasn't really popularized until the release of Red Rocks but I could be wrong on that.

I didn't really pick up on Echo until "Lips Like Sugar" was featured on one of Sire Records "Just Say..." compilations. But that is of course just me and clearly they were on the radar of others way before me. I'd heard "the Killing Moon", it just didn't really register until later on for me. I'm weird, what can you say.

I haven't really searched for REM vinyl, but I do have a 40 gift cert. for the local vinyl emporium. Just not sure that's how I want to blow it at this time.

Nice walk down memory lane and it's great that the new REM takes me back to that time in my life. It's a nice little album.

jc

Swish
04-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Murmur was released in '83, the same time as U2's War. Maybe it was just me, but U2 was pretty big by then. Sunday Bloody Sunday, Two Hearts Beat As One, and New Year's Day were all staples on MTV. All of those tracks, however were predated by "Gloria" which served as my introduction to U2. I then backtracked and picked up the first U2 release which of course featured "I Will Follow". I do think that this track wasn't really popularized until the release of Red Rocks but I could be wrong on that.

I didn't really pick up on Echo until "Lips Like Sugar" was featured on one of Sire Records "Just Say..." compilations. But that is of course just me and clearly they were on the radar of others way before me. I'd heard "the Killing Moon", it just didn't really register until later on for me. I'm weird, what can you say.

I haven't really searched for REM vinyl, but I do have a 40 gift cert. for the local vinyl emporium. Just not sure that's how I want to blow it at this time.

Nice walk down memory lane and it's great that the new REM takes me back to that time in my life. It's a nice little album.

jc

But I still don't care much for U2, even though I've met Bono and have a picture of myself standing with him. I should really get rid of that sucker.

Swish

Jim Clark
04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
But I still don't care much for U2, even though I've met Bono and have a picture of myself standing with him. I should really get rid of that sucker.

Swish

I wouldn't ditch the pic, that's still pretty cool and a piece of your rock & roll history. I can't think of one single thing I have that can even remotely compare to that. I don't care for the dude either but I'd be proud if I was in a pic with him. I hung with U2 through Zooropa but that was the end of the road for me.

Have a great weekend!

jc

jonnyhambone
04-04-2008, 09:08 PM
just eyed the vinyl today but it's $26 at my store. I listened to it once and mildly liked it but...not that much. Instead, I came home and spun Murmur and Fables of the Reconstruction. This fully satisfied the urge, though I think Accelerate may deserve another listen or two...
I saw both REM (the Three O'Clock opening) and Echo (w/ New Order, Gene Loves Jezebel) in '88...both good shows but REM really was outstanding of them all.

Slosh
04-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Threadjacking query: Has anyone heard the new Black Keys disc, released yesterday? I heard some samples yesterday, and was intrigued.I'm giving it its first spin now. Sounds a lot like Black Mountain to me. Some White Stripes in there too, only with good production values. This album cover makes me cringe though. Kind of looks like a scummier version of Flight of the Concords :)

Mr MidFi
04-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Kind of looks like a scummier version of Flight of the Concords :)

Bwahahahahahahaha!!! That's exactly what I thought, too. Wonder if is was deliberate?

jdeare
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I just got this in the mail. Seems really good compared to their last couple, which did nothing for me. However, the CD is making my ears hurt... seems really compressed.

Guess I gotta track down the vinyl.

Davey
04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Guess I gotta track down the vinyl.

Supposedly not all that much better from what I've read, even though cut at 45rpm by Stan Ricker. Something about a silk purse.

jdeare
04-17-2008, 03:59 PM
That's actually a good thing, since the LP seems to cost $30. I guess I just won't listen to the whole CD at once... :)