Anyone here own a copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here own a copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop?

jrhymeammo
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Anyone here on a copy of Jazz at the Pawnshop?

I'm thinking about getting a copy on LP, but would like to know if the SQ is as good as reviewers say it is. I guess there is only one way to find out, but would like to hear others' opionion. Kinda hard to tell from 20kbp snippets.

Anyone?

JRA

Hyfi
03-31-2008, 09:57 AM

I'm thinking about getting a copy on LP, but would like to know if the SQ is as good as reviewers say it is. I guess there is only one way to find out, but would like to hear others' opionion. Kinda hard to tell from 20kbp snippets.

Anyone?

JRA

I have a cassette copy of the CD. This is one of the livest sounding recordings you may ever hear. Aside from the great music, you can hear conversations, clinking glasses and more as if you were in the little bar it was recorded at.

I am sure you will like this as long as your into the music.

Spancticles
03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
the fidelity is as good as they say
very realistic
you will want to take a shower when your done

but the music
not so much

jrhymeammo
03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your insight guys. Sounds very promising, and I do remain curious of the album and its 30+ year hype.

I might grab a copy in 2 weeks. Kinda broke at the beginning of the month, you know? LOL.

Thanks again,

Ex Lion Tamer
04-01-2008, 04:49 AM

Anyone?

JRA

I have a copy of the orig. Proprius (I think that's the label) pressing - my very first "audiophile" LP - and it is very good sounding, but no better I would think than my Anologue Productions release of Waltz for Debbie. Same intimate atmosphere, perhaps a little more dynamic and lively sounding than WforD, but more depth to the Bill Evans recording. I also find the center image on JatP is not as solid as it could be.

The music though is not very compelling, after an initial listening blitz, I now rarely play the album - really only after a significant change in my system, and even then I usually don't make it through the whole album. I have been waiting on a new pair of speakers and when they arrive I will surely re-visit Pawnshop again.

bobsticks
04-01-2008, 03:05 PM
While I can't comment on the sound any of those mentioned on LP I agree with the general thrust of the opinions expressed.

I have "Waltz for Debbie" and "Live at the Village Vanguard" on SACD and prefer both over "Jazz at the Pawnshop" in terms of musicality. I suspect you will get more listens and longterm enjoyment from either of those when copared to the content of "Jazz...".