Recent Viewing... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Viewing...

Worf101
03-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Went and saw a couple of flicks in the theatres over the last couple:

"The Orphanage" - B - A spanish production that basically is a bloodless and almost goreless ghost story revolving around a family taking over an old orphanage. There are side stories here but essentially the film is a testament to the power of a mother's love.

"The Bruges" - B - Tough, slick, funny and crazy, this film about a less than lucky Irish hit man had me howling. Not a pure comedy by any stretch of the imagination, but full of ridiculous moments that'll have you chuckling and laughing despite the bloody nature of the criminals and hitmen. I loved it.

"Jumper" - C-minus - Shame they couldn't do anything more original with this concept then this. Sigh, idiotic and predictable within an inch of it's life. Samuel L. Jackson actually does some acting in this one, thie only thing I like about the whole production.

"John Adams" - B - This HBO mini-series is a very intelligent telling of the birth of this nation as seen through the eyes of one it's founding fathers. But its more than just John Adams, it's his wife, his kids, and the whole scary idea of declaring yourself both independent of and at war with, the greatest power on earth at the time Great Britain. Good stuff this.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
A thoughtful and entertaining perspective as always. Think I'll have to VOD me some John Adams...I've been waiting for a guinea pig to suggest it's ok.

I still miss Rome. :(

Worf101
04-02-2008, 03:51 AM
A thoughtful and entertaining perspective as always. Think I'll have to VOD me some John Adams...I've been waiting for a guinea pig to suggest it's ok.

I still miss Rome. :(
You and me both Kex, you and me both. Hell I even miss Carnivale!!! I miss Deadwood... arrrgh... why tease me with 2 seasons of interesting mind boggling stuff only to pull the plug.

Da Worfster

thekid
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Worf

Good solid reviews-Thank you.
I saw the trailer for "The Bruges" and thought it might be a good movie so maybe that will be the next date movie with the wife.

I do not get HBO but caught have caught an episode while traveling. Seemed to be an interesting series. I am not quite buying Paul Giamatti as Adams (at least not in the episode I saw) but the other cast and the general story line were very well done. I like David McCullough as a history writer and I understand he was very much involved in the project so I am sure its accuracy on people and events has been well researched. Amazingly a lot of it was filmed nearby (Williamsburg VA) but the lame local rag seemed to have missed it.