PDA

View Full Version : found in the sunday paper

pixelthis
03-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Comcast annouced that their on demand downloading service has reached
SEVEN BILLION downloads, not bad for a service that sir talky has pronounced
dead.
And net downloads are increasing, with sites such as completely ad suported
hulu.com becoming quite popular, although a lot of web dls are people who miss a show and catch it on the networds web site.
And over half the homes in America now have cable modems or some other type of broadband.
So this type of media deliverly is catching on slowly but surely:1:

bfalls
03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
I wonder what percentage are "resends" because of corrupted data, or CD singles. We have a dedicated very high-speed WAMNet utility used to transmit CD/DVD/BD images from authoring houses to our location for replication. Many take several hours and require post-flight verification once they arrive. I have to ask if all 7 billion are successful. Could be 7 billion out of 100 billion, so not quite the success story implied.

filecat13
03-31-2008, 07:23 AM
The article is linked here.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/Comcast-tops-7B-VOD-views.aspx

To be clear it's seven billion VOD views, not downloads. Either way it indicates an active market.

GMichael
03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
I wonder how many were HD.

Rich-n-Texas
03-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I've yet to watch a VOD movie from FIOS that's HD. 3:10 to Yuma's available now so I'll check it's description to see if it is.

JSE
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
dead.
hulu.com becoming quite popular, although a lot of web dls are people who miss a show and catch it on the networds web site.
And over half the homes in America now have cable modems or some other type of broadband.

This is Video on Demand. This is direct competition for rentals, not Blueray.

kexodusc
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
What is Comcast charging for an "HD" rental fee these days? Someone told me it varied between $7.99 and $9.99

If that's the case, it'll be a long time before HD VOD does anything noteworth to the rental market.

Smokey
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
What is Comcast charging for an "HD" rental fee these days? Someone told me it varied between $7.99 and $9.99.

Just checked my Comcast box and fee for most HD movies seem to be $4.99-5.99 with few $6.99 titles for 24 hour rental.

Comcast also seem to have pretty decent selection of HD material (movies, TV shows) for free via VOD. Too bad don't have a HD TV :mad2:

E-Stat
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
dead.
If you are referring to the linked article, you will find the word "download" completely absent with the Comcast discussion. There is a difference between VOD and downloads.

rw

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
dead.

Geriatric Johnny, get your fact straight. I didn't say that VOD or downloading was dead. I quite clearly said that it is not going to supplant bluray any time soon, and that is bearing out in the numbers.

Last year VOD and downloading did $123 million in business TOTAL, down from 2006 at $206 million. Last year Bluray did $300 million in disc sales, and they have almost reach that total this year already.

Most analyst that follow this industry say that neither VOD or downloading will hurt rental on disc whether we are talking DVD or Bluray. That is bearing out as well.

Before you use my words old bat, get your facts straight.

pixelthis
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
What is Comcast charging for an "HD" rental fee these days? Someone told me it varied between $7.99 and $9.99

If that's the case, it'll be a long time before HD VOD does anything noteworth to the rental market.

I paid 5.99 for the HD version of the latest resident evil gorefest(with DD)
but I also rented sunshine and I am legend on dvd and the clerk said that blu rentals were "decent", starting to pick up a little.
AND smokey, you need to get HD cable, its cheap entertainment really.
Sure the "free" HD movies are classics and older stuff, but thats the norm.
Speaking of HD on teh tube I had just about given up on TNT and TBS.
Butu the latest hd version of Spiderman was quite good:1:

pixelthis
03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Geriatric Johnny, get your fact straight. I didn't say that VOD or downloading was dead. I quite clearly said that it is not going to supplant bluray any time soon, and that is bearing out in the numbers.

Last year VOD and downloading did $123 million in business TOTAL, down from 2006 at $206 million. Last year Bluray did $300 million in disc sales, and they have almost reach that total this year already.

Most analyst that follow this industry say that neither VOD or downloading will hurt rental on disc whether we are talking DVD or Bluray. That is bearing out as well.

Before you use my words old bat, get your facts straight.

famous last words:1: