Musical Jeopardy: The Mystery Disc [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Jeopardy: The Mystery Disc

bobsticks
03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Yo, let's play our game...

Mystery disc, oh mystery disc...this one comes in threes, but not this time.

Remember to phrase your answer in the form of a question.

...and before Swish asks, no it's not another one of my World Comps or Electronica Tanzmetal safaris. It's good old-fashioned R&R albeit a bit maudlin.There are eleven discs in eleven envelopes and only eleven discs and only eleven envelopes. The PM lines are open.

Luvin Da Blues
03-30-2008, 08:02 PM
What is......Bad Luck by Social Distortion ?

JohnMichael
03-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I have several Mike Ness cd's but noithing by Social Distortion. I should work on buying some Social Distortion cd's.

Alex I will take Transgendered Singers for $200.

Swish
03-31-2008, 08:38 AM
H...and before Swish asks, no it's not another one of my World Comps or Electronica Tanzmetal safaris. It's good old-fashioned R&R albeit a bit maudlin.There are eleven discs in eleven envelopes and only eleven discs and only eleven envelopes. The PM lines are open.

Oh, I see you already covered that.

Swish

bobsticks
03-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Y'all realize that this isn't only a sillyass riddle but there's the potential for real stuff to cross the lands and seas and come to rest in yer hot little hands.

Some days starting a dialogue in here is like hanging a pinata in a room full of quadropalegics. Selah. :dita:

Kua-paka‘a

Swish
04-01-2008, 04:27 AM
Y'all realize that this isn't only a sillyass riddle but there's the potential for real stuff to cross the lands and seas and come to rest in yer hot little hands.

Some days starting a dialogue in here is like hanging a pinata in a room full of quadropalegics. Selah. :dita:

Kua-paka‘a

...try as I might, I couldn't muster a guess. I'm thinking 'good things come in 3s', but that doesn't give me enough of a clue, at least not with my limited musical knowledge.

Swish - older and stupider

bobsticks
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Okay, disregard everything you've read thus far. I'm going to try a simpler approach.

Would anyone like a "Mystery Disc"? We've done this before...someone sends folks an unidentified disc, folks listen, and then we discuss. I'm offering to be that someone.

ForeverAutumn
04-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Sure! Sounds good!

You've got to keep things simple around here. We're not all that bright.

bobsticks
04-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Kewl., one for you. See how easy that was.

nobody
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
If it is Social Distortion, I don't need a disc, but would be happy to discuss...I'm a fan and all.

bobsticks
04-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I swear to God it's not Mike Ness and the boys. It's a band that most of you have heard and from whom you probably have works within your collection...just not this one.

But, in any case, you're in.

Finch Platte
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Okay, disregard everything you've read thus far. I'm going to try a simpler approach.

Would anyone like a "Mystery Disc"? We've done this before...someone sends folks an unidentified disc, folks listen, and then we discuss. I'm offering to be that someone.

Huh??

Troy
04-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Hit me. I'll give you my address if you need it.

paiva(at)designshed.com

Thanks!

Swish
04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
But I still owe you some stuff, even after discounting the world music stuff that I use as a coaster for my morning coffee.

Swish Baby

ForeverAutumn
04-02-2008, 12:12 PM
But I still owe you some stuff, even after discounting the world music stuff that I use as a coaster for my morning coffee.

Swish Baby

That world music disk broke while it was in my car's CD player and jammed the whole thing up. I had to have the whole player replaced. Thank goodness for warranties!!! :incazzato:

bobsticks
05-06-2008, 05:00 PM
The not-so-much-anticipated-but-long-awaited "Mystery Discs" went out today along with some assorted goodies. Hopefully at least some of y'all will receive them by week's end.

READ THIS: sometime over the last few weeks my computer updated my library and despite having purposely left any info off the track and title notes the last several copies that went out have all the info and even the album cover burned in. If ya really wanna play the guessing game then do not play the disc in a computer...if, like most, you don't care either way then, well, whatever.

I tried to include some extras based on things I know some of y'all would like or questions that have been posed recently....but Troy what the hell do you listen to? And, JC I have no idea what you've already got so it became kinda a crapshoot at the end.

I used two bundles of discs for this (demand was higher than expected) and I just starting adding folks to the list after it clearly became a "project". I'd forgotten how rotten Sony discs are so actually I have the better part of a complete bundle lying around of those too.

Finally, I made an effort to listen to at least a few tracks off of each disc to make sure that were no burn issues so I'm now officially sick of the "Mystery Disc". If one of you characters really likey I have the #2170 MoFi SACD pressing from the Original Masters Series. We'll talk, mebbe I'll throw in a handful of crappy Sony blanks to sweeten the deal.

Slosh
05-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Hey Sticks,

Disco del Mysteriouso + extras just arrived. Thanks!

Got some things going on today so it'll get some spin time on the road.

NP:

Troy
05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
....but Troy what the hell do you listen to?

Here's today's random playlist:

http://designshed.com/temporary/songage.jpg

That's a pretty good cross section of stuff I like, but it's only 60 of the 5000 tracks in the computer. I prefer ornate and complex over minimal and simple. I like it funny and I like it weird.

Thanks for sending the disc.

bobsticks
05-11-2008, 06:14 AM
That's a pretty good cross section of stuff I like, but it's only 60 of the 5000 tracks in the computer. I prefer ornate and complex over minimal and simple. I like it funny and I like it weird.

Well then I blew that one. You know I remember now seeing those playlists of yours, so my bad fer not inverstigating. I just chose things I'd listen to while driving through the desert.

Hyfi
05-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Sure sounds a bunch like Cowboy Junkies. If that is not who it is, I have no idea.

Thanks for the package Sticks.

Swish
05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Sure sounds a bunch like Cowboy Junkies. If that is not who it is, I have no idea.

Thanks for the package Sticks.

...I just got mine yesterday and spun it once. The style doesn't scream the Junkies, but I can't quite figure on who else it could possibly be.

Oh, and thanks for the disc and the extras Bobsticks. I take back all the bad things I've said about you. Well, not all, but most. :wink5:

Swishdaddy

Troy
05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
That was a tough spin for me.

I get it: it's that lo-fi morphine skronk lounge thing. Sort of like a band that would appear in a David Lynch movie at 3AM in some divey parallel-universe biker bar. Maybe it works ok for a 5 minute scene in a movie, but a whole album?

I grant you, I played it in a good mood on a beautifully sunny sunday afternoon, and I think this album might sound best stewed on seconal and bourbon late on the third night of a lost weekend.

And another thing- it doesn't have enough variety for me. It's very repetitive, same guitar and drunk vocalist on every track. I'm not sure how much my dissatisfaction and quick boredom is a product of not listening to whole albums anymore, and how much the repetitiveness is made extra-noticeable by the stark minimalism of this music.

File under not my bag. Thanks tho.

bobsticks
05-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Spot-on analysis Troy, and that probably says a lot about the differences not only between what you and I listen to but how and when. I definitely agree about the mood and the Lynch motif...can't say so much about the Seconal, I came from the generation immediately after that "Bright Lights, Big City", Brett Easton Ellis era and we had our own mood modifiers...but all in all it seems about right. Also noteworthy, I still listen to albums as a complete work, so you're right about that too.

The MD is, indeed, The Cowboy Junkies from a far off garage recording unearthed years later. My buddy Patrick is a musical journeyman at a young age having toured with the Horde Tour and done some sound work with Shania Twain amongst other dubious accomplishments. According to him the Calrec Ambisonic mic that was used in this session is a bit of a cult piece and still commands a ridiculous price. Whether you liked the music itself one would be hard pressed to deny the results especially considering that this was a one track/take kinda dealio.

Check out this linky for more info:http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/albums/whitesoff/index7.html

Credit Finchy for first correct response but it seems as if everyone got it pretty quickly. I'll hav eto dig deeper into my bag of obscurity next time.

bobsticks
05-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Oh, and thanks for the disc and the extras Bobsticks. I take back all the bad things I've said about you. Well, not all, but most. :wink5:

Swishdaddy

If that's the case, clearly I need to redouble my efforts.

Swish
05-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Spot-on analysis Troy, and that probably says a lot about the differences not only between what you and I listen to but how and when. I definitely agree about the mood and the Lynch motif...can't say so much about the Seconal, I came from the generation immediately after that "Bright Lights, Big City", Brett Easton Ellis era and we had our own mood modifiers...but all in all it seems about right. Also noteworthy, I still listen to albums as a complete work, so you're right about that too.

The MD is, indeed, The Cowboy Junkies from a far off garage recording unearthed years later. My buddy Patrick is a musical journeyman at a young age having toured with the Horde Tour and done some sound work with Shania Twain amongst other dubious accomplishments. According to him the Calrec Ambisonic mic that was used in this session is a bit of a cult piece and still commands a ridiculous price. Whether you liked the music itself one would be hard pressed to deny the results especially considering that this was a one track/take kinda dealio.

Check out this linky for more info:http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/albums/whitesoff/index7.html

Credit Finchy for first correct response but it seems as if everyone got it pretty quickly. I'll hav eto dig deeper into my bag of obscurity next time.

...identifying the band on the MD? What? No prize? What kind of game is this? Hello! Is this thing on?

Swishdaddy

ForeverAutumn
05-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Considering that I don't have my disk yet, it won't be much of a mystery anymore will it?

Thanks for ruining my fun you guys. :frown5:

Swish
05-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Considering that I don't have my disk yet, it won't be much of a mystery anymore will it?

That goober Bobsticks gave it up, all we did was guess. As for you, the late delivery can be blamed on your location in the United States of Canada.

Swishdaddy

Hyfi
05-12-2008, 07:23 AM

First off Sticks, whatever your burn process is, my two main players can never seem to read your disks. No worries tho, they play in my Denon DVD player and if I just make copies with Nero, they play fine on all players.

I only have a CJ comp as I never heard of the band until a few years ago when we did the Classic Samplers. Still, it was enough to identify the voice for a correct score.

LOL, and I thought I was going to be way off and it was a band I never heard of. So, kudos to RR for enlightening me once again. There is so much I would never have listened to if I had not been here.

Troy,

I thought the same thing. Song after song sounded the same.

Cheers!

ForeverAutumn
05-12-2008, 07:46 AM
As for you, the late delivery can be blamed on your location in the United States of Canada.

Swishdaddy

Canadians like PENGUINS!!! :ciappa:

Davey
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Incredible sounding disc, Sticks. Is it from the CD layer on the recent Mofi SACD, or the original? In either case, mastered very well. Tons of dynamics. I'd never heard their debut before, and Margo almost sounds like PJ Harvey when she gets that deep into deconstructing those old blues tunes.

Thanks for all the stuff! Saturday I picked up a couple CDs from the library, got a couple from you in the mail, and a couple others I'd bought from the amazon marketplace too. Yikes, talk about overload! And the Tom Waits I got from the library is 3 discs!

Finch Platte
05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
First off Sticks, whatever your burn process is, my two main players can never seem to read your disks. No worries tho, they play in my Denon DVD player and if I just make copies with Nero, they play fine on all players.
Cheers!

That's funny. His discs won't read in my computer, or the left well of my stand-alone burner/player. It will play in the right well, however. :arf:

I pm'd him thanking him for the discs, and offered up my guess as to who it was. One of these days, I'll get the rules right. :nono:

fp

I'm digging the Rammstein- thanks again bobsticker.

bobsticks
05-12-2008, 04:58 PM
...identifying the band on the MD? What? No prize? What kind of game is this? Hello! Is this thing on?

Swishdaddy

You'll get nothing and like it ya Spaulding-assed bastage. HyFi might get something outta Finchey's spliff-o-matic drawer if he plays his cards right.

bobsticks
05-12-2008, 04:59 PM

There's other goodies too.

bobsticks
05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
It's the MoFi cd layer and it is fantastic. Those boys know what they're doing for sure. I hadn't picked up on the Polly Jean part but it's different I suppose when you know what it is going into it.

Elf Pee I think you're the only one that got the Rammstein as I acquired it fairly well into the MD production cycle. The "back cover" was actually a recreation of the "Live Aus Berlin" disc which is what I assume I was getting. Same setlist but clearly a different show and, just as clearly, a boot from the board. One of the funner discs I've come across in awhile.

Swish
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
HyFi might get something outta Finchey's spliff-o-matic drawer if he plays his cards right.

...that's a punishment. Count me out!

Swish

Hyfi
05-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Canadians like PENGUINS!!! :ciappa:

Hey, watch it. If you recall, this is the first time in some 20 years that a Canadian team was not even in the finals. Oh, and guess who knocked out the #1 seed with relative ease?

Oh yeah, it was the Flyers who had the worst record last year! Just the fact that we are there is awesome since Montreal was supposed to wipe us all over the ice....NOT.

Go Flyers!!!

Hey but if the Penguins do win, It's still a PA team and Swish and I are still able to thumb our noses at Canada's slacker teams who couldn't even get their sorry asses into the finals.

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey, watch it. If you recall, this is the first time in some 20 years that a Canadian team was not even in the finals. Oh, and guess who knocked out the #1 seed with relative ease?

Oh yeah, it was the Flyers who had the worst record last year! Just the fact that we are there is awesome since Montreal was supposed to wipe us all over the ice....NOT.

Go Flyers!!!

Hey but if the Penguins do win, It's still a PA team and Swish and I are still able to thumb our noses at Canada's slacker teams who couldn't even get their sorry asses into the finals.

I was yanking Swishy's chain. The truth is that I don't give a crap who wins. You want me to root for the Flyers? GO FLYERS!

3-LockBox
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM
The truth is that I don't give a crap who wins.

That puts you into the 90 percentile of Americans, FA. The NHL's relevance is so reduced in this country that they could only get a cable contract for TV, and that's some obscure specialty channel called VS (versus), which shows rodeo, cage fighting, Cops reruns and other shows like that when they're not showing NHL.

BTW, I watch Versus for everything else but hockey ;)

MindGoneHaywire
05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
NBC has been carrying NHL games for awhile now.

Swish
05-14-2008, 04:13 AM
NBC has been carrying NHL games for awhile now.

...or VS or whatever they go by. I have the channel, in HI-DEF no less, so it's fine by me. As for the popularity of hockey sinking, it's no worse than the NBA. I'm not saying it was ever as popular as the NBA, just that the erosion of the fan base on a percentage basis is probably about the same, or worse, than the NHL.

Swish

Hyfi
05-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I was yanking Swishy's chain. The truth is that I don't give a crap who wins. You want me to root for the Flyers? GO FLYERS!

I know, just thought Swishy could use a little backup as he has been taking the heat solo for a while.

Hyfi
05-14-2008, 06:28 AM
That puts you into the 90 percentile of Americans, FA. The NHL's relevance is so reduced in this country that they could only get a cable contract for TV, and that's some obscure specialty channel called VS (versus), which shows rodeo, cage fighting, Cops reruns and other shows like that when they're not showing NHL.

BTW, I watch Versus for everything else but hockey ;)

I will do ya all one better. I am reduced to listening to the games on WIP 610 Sports Radio on AM on a little tiny boom box cause I'm too cheap (frugal) to have cable.

I always think about getting it just for hockey playoffs and then turning it off but it's not economical.

bobsticks
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
... As for the popularity of hockey sinking, it's no worse than the NBA. I'm not saying it was ever as popular as the NBA, just that the erosion of the fan base on a percentage basis is probably about the same, or worse, than the NHL.

I have a theory on this that's not necessarily flattering to the audience. Hockey is a skill game but has been not generally percieved as one by the North American audience...and they don't want it that way. There's a reason the "Broadstreet Bullies" are legendary and the influx of European talent hasn't had the desired effect unless you consider acceptance by the PTA moms of America success.

I'm pretty sure if you were watching this live you remember where you were that night, whether you were truly invested in either team...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7DlAjrhm9s&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C7DlAjrhm9s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2008, 07:07 AM
My disks finally arrived in yesterday's mail.

I don't understand why I can order stuff from Amazon.com and it arrives in under a week, yet stuff from the members of this board frequently takes two to three weeks to arrive.

I'm looking forward to spinning the not-so-mysterious-anymore disk as well as the additional goodies. :)

ForeverAutumn
05-29-2008, 07:18 AM
There's other goodies too.

Thanks for goodies 'sticks. I've never been a big fan of the CJs, but to be fair I've never given them a fair shot. I don't mind this disk so much, there's some nice stuff on it. But I see myself spinning this as background music, not something that I'd put on for the sake of really listening to.

I liked the Richard Hawley quite a bit. Its something different from my usual fare and, again, not something that I can see myself spinning regularly but maybe nice when relaxing with a good book and a glass of wine.

I've been spinning it at work and it's a good disk to clear my head to.

Thanks!

Luvin Da Blues
05-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I guess my copy is still on the stage coach.:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I guess my copy is still on the stage coach.:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Oh calm down, I've flights to Kelowna that took longer than this. Besides, there'll be fun extras.

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Stuff...Thanks!

Jah welcome.

JohnMichael
05-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Je suis en retard. I have been enjoying my discs for a while. I have always loved Margo's voice so I loved the disc and included it with my other CJ discs. 'Cause Cheap Is How I Feel!

bobsticks
05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
... 'Cause Cheap Is How I Feel!

Really? 'Cause I always said I'm easy but I'm not cheap.

Luvin Da Blues
06-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh calm down, I've flights to Kelowna that took longer than this. Besides, there'll be fun extras.

Sticks My Man,

Just got your disks, great stuff. Right up my alley.:thumbsup:

Gotta say I likes da Ben Harper and da NO Social club disks the best. Funny that Dr.John has been on a bit of a renaissance around here lately anyway.:1:

The CJ certainly is a different take on some old blues classics. I kept on wanting to turn the speed up a bit tho. Nice late night tunes.Haven't had a chance to really listen to the Hayward Williams but sounds good the little I heard so far.

You da man Bobby.

bobsticks
06-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Kewl. I'm glad you posted...despite my glib response I was starting to worry 'bout your Royal Mounted Dog 'n' Pony Show losing everything.

I suppose one could say Dr. John is on the comeback but he never really faded in this household. Creole Moon and Gumbo get some serious play. I kinda guessed on the Harper but I'm glad to hear ya liked that too.