Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector -Good Deal?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector -Good Deal??

thekid
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Snagged this unit cheap.
Anyone ever use it?

Not sure if I can use it in my two channel set-up but was thinking it would work for the bedroom or garage.

nightflier
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't use it on expensive gear. Personally, I would have opted for a unit that had volume controls, especially if you need to volume match the rooms.

thekid
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't use it on expensive gear. Personally, I would have opted for a unit that had volume controls, especially if you need to volume match the rooms.

Thanks Night.

I am actually looking at using it for the garage where my "extra" speakers are kept.Just thought it might be an easy way to switch among the cheapie bookshelf units I store there. Good observation on your part about the volume, i had not thought about using it for a multiroom set-up.

thekid
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Musicdo- Glad you are enjoying your purchase. The unit you have is a newer version than the one I am asking about but the specs seem to be very similar. Perhaps someone here knows what the difference is between the two if any.

BTW-Welcome aboard!!

nightflier
04-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Well I don't think the older one is rated for 200W, and I believe it has plastic spring clips (correct me if I'm wrong). But I would guess that it being an Adcom, it will give you more mileage than the more common Monster, Russound, etc. models. If you're driving tough speakers or use a powerful amp, the Adcom is probably your best bet.

thekid
04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Well I don't think the older one is rated for 200W, and I believe it has plastic spring clips (correct me if I'm wrong). But I would guess that it being an Adcom, it will give you more mileage than the more common Monster, Russound, etc. models. If you're driving tough speakers or use a powerful amp, the Adcom is probably your best bet.

Actually I downloaded the owner's manual and it does handle 200W. It does not have spring clips but it does have plastic connectors that you use twist/lock the speaker wires in place. It also handles 4 Ohm speakers. Which leads me to ask if I connected it to a 8 ohm reciever could I run a pair of 4 ohm speakers thru the Adcom w/o damaging the reciever?

BTW- The unit showed up yesterday and is in great shape cosmetically. Very clean inside and outside there are no scratches or dings. Looks like I got a deal for $35. I will try and hook it up tomorrow now that I finally have some time off.

nightflier
04-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Actually I downloaded the owner's manual and it does handle 200W. It does not have spring clips but it does have plastic connectors that you use twist/lock the speaker wires in place. It also handles 4 Ohm speakers. Which leads me to ask if I connected it to a 8 ohm reciever could I run a pair of 4 ohm speakers thru the Adcom w/o damaging the reciever?

BTW- The unit showed up yesterday and is in great shape cosmetically. Very clean inside and outside there are no scratches or dings. Looks like I got a deal for $35. I will try and hook it up tomorrow now that I finally have some time off.

I must have been thinking of another unit.

On the receiver, if it's rated at 8 ohms only, then using a 4 ohm speaker, with or without the switch box is going to be problematic. If you then add another pair of speakers to the switchbox, it will be that much harder for the receiver to drive the whole load. You would be better served with a receiver that was rated to 4 ohms or even 2 ohms if you can swing it.

thekid
04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I must have been thinking of another unit.

On the receiver, if it's rated at 8 ohms only, then using a 4 ohm speaker, with or without the switch box is going to be problematic. If you then add another pair of speakers to the switchbox, it will be that much harder for the receiver to drive the whole load. You would be better served with a receiver that was rated to 4 ohms or even 2 ohms if you can swing it.

Night

Thanks. I was just curious, I don't own any 4 Ohm speakers at this point but you never know. My Kenwood M-1D I think handles 4 ohm anyway.

BTW-here is a pic of the unit that I copied off of E-bay. Not the best but it gives you some idea.