Compareing MARANTZ with YAMAHA Stereo Receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compareing MARANTZ with YAMAHA Stereo Receivers

Howling Wolf
03-30-2008, 02:22 PM
I would like to know how the MARANTZ SR-4021 compares with the YAMAHA RX-497 Stereo Receiver?

Which one would you go with? :23: :23: :23: :23: :12:

frenchmon
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I would like to know how the MARANTZ SR-4021 compares with the YAMAHA RX-497 Stereo Receiver?

Which one would you go with? :23: :23: :23: :23: :12:

Don't know much about the Yammies, but I can tell you the Marantz will have great build quality. No mass market for any of the lower end Marantz products. All of the Marantz from the least to the greatest have hand selected parts. Most mass marketed products don't do that.

frenchmon

Ajani
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd go with Marantz as well

Howling Wolf
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Don't know much about the Yammies, but I can tell you the Marantz will have great build quality. No mass market for any of the lower end Marantz products. All of the Marantz from the least to the greatest have hand selected parts. Most mass marketed products don't do that.

frenchmon

If I understand both of you, you would go with the MARANTZ SR-4021 STEREO RECEIVER am I right.

I turely need your HELP on this.

Howling Wolf
03-31-2008, 05:31 PM
I'd go with Marantz as well

Ajani

I would like to know if the MARANTZ SR-4021 would be able to have me hook up my outside FM ANTENNA to it?

I am getting very close in ordering a unit and hope that this is the unit to have.

Would this be suround sound receiver or not?

Ajani
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Ajani

I would like to know if the MARANTZ SR-4021 would be able to have me hook up my outside FM ANTENNA to it?

According to the manual: Yes....

you can download the manual at the Marantz website:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1911.asp

I am getting very close in ordering a unit and hope that this is the unit to have.

Would this be suround sound receiver or not?

Nope.... this is a Stereo Receiver... capable of running two pair of stereo speakers (4 speakers total).....

If you want surround sound try one of these other Marantz models:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

blackraven
03-31-2008, 05:45 PM
This is only a 2ch receiver and you should be able to hook up your outdoor antenna.

PDN
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Marantz definetly. No question about it.

Howling Wolf
04-01-2008, 01:15 AM
One thing I did forget is that: Can I hook up my TV, DVD Player and the 5 DICS CD CHANGER and DIRECTV to it?

basite
04-01-2008, 02:48 AM
One thing I did forget is that: Can I hook up my TV, DVD Player and the 5 DICS CD CHANGER and DIRECTV to it?

yes, yes, yes, and yes :D

bfalls
04-01-2008, 05:28 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Yamaha. Their build quality is as good as any I've seen. I've had Yamaha receivers for many years and have yet to have a problem with any.

I first had an R8 back in 81' (85w/ch). I sold it three years ago and it was still going strong. I've also had an RXV-2092 which I used for HT with their DSR-100 Pro processor and MX-35 multi-channel amp. I traded the RXV-2092 for an RXV-2095 because it was a good deal and sold the 92 to a friend who still has it. I still have the processor and amp. I've also had their CLV-1000 laserdisc/CD/DVD combo player which I moth-balled, but use occasionally to play some of the 80+ laserdiscs I have.

The Yamaha's have very good amps and power supplies allowing use with low impedance or difficult speaker loads. You don't see this much with other mass-market receivers. They also use discrete components, specifically in the amplifier stages, not ICs. I see the Marantz features a discrete output stage, but I don't know if they're transistors or ICs. I think ICs have a tendency to sound "tinny".

I have no problem with Marantz. I own two of their MA-500 mono amps and they're reliable as well. I also own a Denon AVR-3300 and Sony's flagship STR-DA5300ES receiver, so it's not that I'm a Yammy only boy. I did notice the Marantz is 8lbs heavier, which to me relates to a more robust power supply and both have about the same output capability.

All I'm saying is don't discount the Yamaha on build quality, the quality and dependability is there.

Howling Wolf
04-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I belive that I made my mind up on Marantz and would like to know if you was to buy a new unit in SURROUND SOUND or in STEREO RECEIVE which one would you buy?

I really like the Marantz SR-4021 , but if I was to move up one more model what would that model be?

Does it take a brain to hook up surround sound?
Would you put this in the liveing room or basement?
With surround sound you would need at least 5 speaker or 7 speakers?

markw
04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
you're opening up a whole 'nuther can of worms here but basically everything that's been said in response to your previous questions (both here and on other forums) still apply equally well to HT receivers.

It boils down to personal preference.

And, it takes no more of a brain to read the directions on hooking up a HT system than it does to decide what one wants and make a decision. Operating it requires one to read and understand the owners manual, which can be a chore. I doubt you're up to it.

I still think you're a troll.

GMichael
04-02-2008, 05:12 AM
They are both good units. You'll be happy either way. As for 2 channel vs HT, only you know what you are going to use it for. Do you want an HT system, or a 2 channel system? You'll have to tell us the answer to that one.

SlumpBuster
04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I still think you're a troll.

You and me both, brother. The weird capitalization, grammer, and spelling gives it away everytime. ;D

markw
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
You and me both, brother. The weird capitalization, grammer, and spelling gives it away everytime. ;DMy BS detector went off from the first post where "co WAX" made it's appearance. But, being the nice guy that I am, I gave him the benefit of a doubt.

SlumpBuster
04-02-2008, 08:52 AM
The whole "we're 60, so we're kind of 'old timey'" vibe, clinched it for me. No 60 year old I know is "old timey." That is a younger persons impression of 60. My 60yo father-in-law has Dynaudio towers with H/K amps and front end with Sirius. Decidedly not "old timey." Although, he does have a crank operated Victrola next to one of the Danes. It works, too. :D

markw
04-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I turn 59 in two months so I know what you mean. Likewise, I've never seen an old fart throw around that many emoticons. Actually, I'd like to change that to anyone past puberty.

frenchmon
04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I belive that I made my mind up on Marantz and would like to know if you was to buy a new unit in SURROUND SOUND or in STEREO RECEIVE which one would you buy?

I really like the Marantz SR-4021 , but if I was to move up one more model what would that model be?

Does it take a brain to hook up surround sound?
Would you put this in the liveing room or basement?
With surround sound you would need at least 5 speaker or 7 speakers?

If you buy the surround reciever, you still can do two channel listening. If you buy the two channel reciever, you can not get surround sound.

frenchmon

Howling Wolf
04-04-2008, 02:11 PM
It's a sad day to learn that some of the people are here to make fun of a person that is not up on these things but come to ask some pro's that understand this AUDIO.

For those that were willing to help a person out on this a BIG THANK-YOU .