New Speakers Arriving on Saturday. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers Arriving on Saturday.

Jack in Wilmington
03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Guys,
Well I'm back from vacation and it's time for the next upgrade. Contacted my local Usher dealer, while I was in Florida, just to get the ball rolling. Turns out he had a pair of the X719's in stock. Now the dilemma. He won't be getting the matching stands in until the end of April. I was going to put the X719's on top of my existing floor speakers for the time being. Does anybody see a problem with that, or do you guys have a better suggestion? I'm picking the speakers up on Saturday because it's about an hours drive from my house. Thanks

JohnMichael
03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Everything I have read about that speaker is incredible. I would love to hear them. Good choice.:thumbsup:

How tall are your floor standing speakers? The reason I ask is because we both have speakers with slanted baffles. My old speakers which were the same height as the OML 1's worked best on 28 inch stands but the OML's are better at 24 inches. The angle of the baffle on my speakers caused the tweeters to be angled higher than my ears with the 28 inch stands making everything sound like too much midrange and a little dull. If your floor standing speakers are too tall I am afraid you would have the same problem. A cheap pair of stands until the matching ones come in might be better. Again all depends on the height of your floor standers. Keep in mind that the Ushers may cause your floor standers to resonate and color the sound. I would not judge them until you have them on good stands.

Jack in Wilmington
03-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Everything I have read about that speaker is incredible. I would love to hear them. Good choice.:thumbsup:

How tall are your floor standing speakers? The reason I ask is because we both have speakers with slanted baffles. My old speakers which were the same height as the OML 1's worked best on 28 inch stands but the OML's are better at 24 inches. The angle of the baffle on my speakers caused the tweeters to be angled higher than my ears with the 28 inch stands making everything sound like too much midrange and a little dull. If your floor standing speakers are too tall I am afraid you would have the same problem. A cheap pair of stands until the matching ones come in might be better. Again all depends on the height of your floor standers. Keep in mind that the Ushers may cause your floor standers to resonate and color the sound. I would not judge them until you have them on good stands.

Hi JM
My floorstanders are 38 inches high. I realize that this is not the ideal situation. Just one of those little curves in the road to audio nirvana.
I would have liked to hear your OML's also, but I listened to so many speakers. Dynaudio Focus 140's, Dali Helicon 300's, Opera Mezza's and Reference 3A mm De Capo's made the final cut along with the X719's. What made it doubly difficult was the same speaker would sound so different at another stereo shop.

JohnMichael
03-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I just had a thought. First one today. Tell your dealer you need to borrow a set of stands until yours arrive. I am sure he has stands he can spare. He may have a nice dusty pair in the stock room that he will gladly lend.

Jack in Wilmington
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
I just had a thought. First one today. Tell your dealer you need to borrow a set of stands until yours arrive. I am sure he has stands he can spare. He may have a nice dusty pair in the stock room that he will gladly lend.

I like your thinking. That's why it's great to put out these questions. The answer was stareing me in the face. That way I can turn over my floorstanders to the next owner.