Monitor Audio B2 vs BR2 and B&W [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio B2 vs BR2 and B&W

blackraven
03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on the differences in sound of Monitor Audio's B2 and newer BR2 speakers? Also, how do they compare to the B&W 686's?

C'mon, some of you English and European mates must have heard the Monitor Audio's!

Thanks,
Larry

blackraven
03-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I think I'm going to buy the Monitor Audio S1's tomorrow based on the reviews. I found it for $200 off because of the newer RS1 series. Any one have these speakers? I usually dont buy speakers with out auditioning them because of the hassle sending them back but the reviews seem to go along with the sound I like which is a little on the warm side with an open and detailed sound.

blackraven
03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I just purchased the Monitor Audio S1's in beechwood veneer from www.saturdayaudio.com for $399 a pair and only $25 shipping. Any one have these speakers?

blackraven
03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Doesnt any one have a comment on Monitor Audio speakers, I see some people on this forum recommend them all the time. What gives?

Ajani
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Doesnt any one have a comment on Monitor Audio speakers, I see some people on this forum recommend them all the time. What gives?

ummm.... I guess I fall into that category... lol

Seriously though, I've never heard the Bronze line or the old Silver Series.... Just the new Silver and Gold Lines.... Both of which I highly recommend, and from the reviews I've read, the old Silver & Gold series were also well regarded....

blackraven
03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
All the reviews comparing the Silver and Bronze series say the silver is more detailed with punchier bass. The guys at saturday audio say there's a big difference between the 2 and that the S1's have a warmer sound. I hope that I like them. I almost bought the B&W 686's but they really are more suited for rear channel speakers or use with a sub. My favorites were the NHT classic 2's and 3's which were more than I wanted to spend for speakers which will be used ocassionally.

It makes me think the few that have recommended Monitor Audio have not really heard them.

audio amateur
03-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I almost bought the B&W 686's but they really are more suited for rear channel speakers or use with a sub.
You, are quite wrong about that. They produce plenty of bass, right down to 40Hz and then some. Obviously they are not going to fill a big room with strong bass, and not any less than some B2's or should I say BR2's/RS1's. I did some side by side listening with the BR2's, and although the soundstage wasn't as big, I felt the B&W's bass was better controlled and more punchy.

blackraven
03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry AA, both my audiphile friend and I compared the B&W 686's to the 685's at our local high end store and both of us and the very knowlegeable salesman thought that they were kind of weak sounding next to the 686's. Yes they had decent bass but it had a very little dimension and sound stage. And I doubt that they go down to 40Hz. The freq response is 55Hz-22K at +/- 3dB which is pretty good considering it uses a 5" midbass driver. We listened to them on a Rotel amp and pre amp along with a rotel CDP. When we turned on the sub the speakers sounded very good. They might be good for a small room, but my bedroom is 17'x17' with a cathedral ceiling.

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speaks that I can get by with out a sub. NHT's were my first choice but were more than I'm willing to spend right now. The MA S1's are supposed to have good bass and sound stage and are supposed to sound totally different than the B2's. I guess I'll find out in 2 days.

sgt bass08
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speaks that I can get by with out a sub. NHT's were my first choice but were more than I'm willing to spend right now. The MA S1's are supposed to have good bass and sound stage and are supposed to sound totally different than the B2's. I guess I'll find out in 2 days.[/QUOTE]

Are you insane you would need a sub with most speakers speacial bookshelfs as they are not really bass deep. i would say get a pair of epos ELS-3 mini monitor or a pair of quad 12L alot of peeps say they have good bass for small speakers.but your best opion is a 8 inch sub with bookshelfs .good luck in finding your setup

blackraven
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm not looking for great bass, just barely adequate for very occasional casual listening in my bedroom. My main system is for every day listening. I just want something with decent mid bass.

audio amateur
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Sorry AA, both my audiphile friend and I compared the B&W 686's to the 685's at our local high end store and both of us and the very knowlegeable salesman thought that they were kind of weak sounding next to the 686's. Yes they had decent bass but it had a very little dimension and sound stage. And I doubt that they go down to 40Hz. The freq response is 55Hz-22K at +/- 3dB which is pretty good considering it uses a 5" midbass driver. We listened to them on a Rotel amp and pre amp along with a rotel CDP. When we turned on the sub the speakers sounded very good. They might be good for a small room, but my bedroom is 17'x17' with a cathedral ceiling.

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speaks that I can get by with out a sub. NHT's were my first choice but were more than I'm willing to spend right now. The MA S1's are supposed to have good bass and sound stage and are supposed to sound totally different than the B2's. I guess I'll find out in 2 days.
No need to be sorry. I'm only giving myself the liberty of testifying, as I now own these speakers.
Hope you find something you like