Receiver Mania [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Mania

pixelthis
03-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Whats in the water?
At least three members have bought receivers recently
RECEIVER MANIA!!!
Did everybody just decide to go out and improve the main part of their system overnight?
The shortcomings of my four year old (or so) integra become more and more apparent.
I WAS HOLDING OUT BUT YOU GUYS ARENT MAKING IT EASY:1:

f0rge
03-26-2008, 05:05 AM
well for me it was just really good timing, i just moved so my stereo was all apart, i was eager to switch over to full HDMI to reduce cable clutter, and the part of my xmas bonus that i had set aside for myself had been burning a whole in my pocket for 3 odd months now

PDN
03-28-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm guilty too. I just purchased a new Rotel RSX-1057 for $1200.00 upgrading from my first entry level A-V receiver about two years ago. I've had it about 10 days now and boy is it sounding better and better each day as it breaks in. It' making my B&W DM603 S3's produce sounds I didn't hear before and the slam and punch this thing produces is outstanding. I have to turn down my sub more and even turn it off at times. I'm still reading the owner's manual but I have it just about set right. It's strictly a 5.1 surround sound unit which is all I need (ASW600, B&W M-1s as my surround sounds). When I switch randomly to 2 channel stereo when playing music, the imaging is amazing. I selected the unit in black vs the silver face plate. It just looks more "macho" !! Besides, it's good for the our economy if we keep spending on high end high quality audio components.

Luvin Da Blues
03-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Didn't exactly buy a receiver, I went the other way. Sold the Denon 2807 and bought a 2ch rig and have absolutely no regrets.

kexodusc
03-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Last thing I wanted was yet another receiver purchase, but it looks like I might have to get a new one just to accommodate the connections I'll need once I spring for a BluRay player and projector for the new HT room.
I could see BluRay and HDMI driving a lot of receiver purchases.

L.J.
03-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Last thing I wanted was yet another receiver purchase, but it looks like I might have to get a new one just to accommodate the connections I'll need once I spring for a BluRay player and projector for the new HT room.
I could see BluRay and HDMI driving a lot of receiver purchases.

Dang, going all out huh? I would love to have a separate HT room :cryin:

kexodusc
03-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Dang, going all out huh? I would love to have a separate HT room :cryin:
We're building a new house this summer - the media room was unconditional.
GM's been good answering all my projector questions - eventually I'll start hitting you up about BluRay players.

pixelthis
03-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Didn't exactly buy a receiver, I went the other way. Sold the Denon 2807 and bought a 2ch rig and have absolutely no regrets.

also the way I am going.
Although with what little I could get for my receiver (300$ was the last price I saw)
its going to continue as my HT rig, and a audio only rig is going in the living room.
Now only if that rebate check will get here...

Looks like you're well on your way:1:

enrique
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm guilty too. I just purchased a new Rotel RSX-1057 for $1200.00 upgrading from my first entry level A-V receiver about two years ago. I've had it about 10 days now and boy is it sounding better and better each day as it breaks in. It' making my B&W DM603 S3's produce sounds I didn't hear before and the slam and punch this thing produces is outstanding. I have to turn down my sub more and even turn it off at times. I'm still reading the owner's manual but I have it just about set right. It's strictly a 5.1 surround sound unit which is all I need (ASW600, B&W M-1s as my surround sounds). When I switch randomly to 2 channel stereo when playing music, the imaging is amazing. I selected the unit in black vs the silver face plate. It just looks more "macho" !! Besides, it's good for the our economy if we keep spending on high end high quality audio components.
Nice setup.I used to have the 603s3's with rotel rsx1056 for about 3 yrs,Sound was real nice.Since then i upgraded the speakers about 6 mos ago and i just disconnected my rsx1056 going to a marantz sr8002 which i recently ordered.

BadAssJazz
04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Did everybody just decide to go out and improve the main part of their system overnight?

Credit my recent purchase to Blu Ray's ascendance (25%) and the upgrade bug (75%).

Up until recently, I usually kept the same receiver for years. I forget how long I had my Denon 3802, but I think the 3806 was in the planning stages when I shelved it. 4-5 years maybe? The Marantz didn't last very long, but I purchased it with short term obsolescence in mind. I knew there were new technologies just over the horizon, but couldn't wait.

The scary part is that I feel the same way about the 805 that I felt about the Marantz. It's just a matter of time before I pounce on the next upgrade. I've seen Rotel's website and it looks like they are working on their versions of true HD and Master decoding components. If I have the 805 still by this same time next year, it will be a miracle.

pixelthis
04-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Credit my recent purchase to Blu Ray's ascendance (25%) and the upgrade bug (75%).

Up until recently, I usually kept the same receiver for years. I forget how long I had my Denon 3802, but I think the 3806 was in the planning stages when I shelved it. 4-5 years maybe? The Marantz didn't last very long, but I purchased it with short term obsolescence in mind. I knew there were new technologies just over the horizon, but couldn't wait.

The scary part is that I feel the same way about the 805 that I felt about the Marantz. It's just a matter of time before I pounce on the next upgrade. I've seen Rotel's website and it looks like they are working on their versions of true HD and Master decoding components. If I have the 805 still by this same time next year, it will be a miracle.

Well, with those silverlines you must be able to afford it.
Think I will keep my old integra, its fine for HT, and concentrate on getting a quality
audio system going.
I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED MOVIES, but music is where its at for me.
Think i'll get back to my roots:1: