pulled the trigger on an AVR-3808CI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pulled the trigger on an AVR-3808CI

f0rge
03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
just got her home, unboxing as we speak.

pics (and impressions) to come :D

L.J.
03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Lucky SOB

f0rge
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
crap, already have a problem...my spades dont fit!!!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Congrats F0rge. I'm sure you'll get that straightened out. Don't know much about Kimber cables, but I think you'd get as sturdy and as well sealed a connection with the method I used with banana plugs, provided you've got enough room back there.

f0rge
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
yeah i'm just cutting the spades off and going straight wires for now, at least until i can get some banana plugs on there.

f0rge
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
so far i'm pretty super impressed

the fact that i can use my laptop over the network to do ALL the setup including renaming and re-assigning inputs to whatever i want is pretty amazing...

f0rge
03-25-2008, 06:27 PM
here's the pics i promised

new in the box
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon001.jpg

just out of the box
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon002.jpg

the back
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon003.jpg

everything connected, making sure it all works
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/davebrochu/stereo/denon009.jpg

now i just gotta put the stereo stand back together and do some speaker setup...all in all not too hard

RoadRunner6
03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
The most important thing I see in your photos are three little words on the lower right back of the receiver.........."MADE IN JAPAN"..........

Holy Cow! I'm impressed! Even my last Nikkor lens is made in China (although the optics are still made in Japan). I hope Denon has improved their translation in the owner's manual over what they did in my old Denon AVR-3200. My wife is Japanese, if there is anything you can't figure out let us know (ha, ha .....I've had many big laughs trying to read some of my Japanese made product owner's manuals over the years....for a good laugh see www.engrish.com)

You've asembled a very fine system there. You got some great bang for the buck equipment including your Panny plasma.

Enjoy!
RR6

pixelthis
03-26-2008, 12:01 AM
The most important thing I see in your photos are three little words on the lower right back of the receiver.........."MADE IN JAPAN"..........

Holy Cow! I'm impressed! Even my last Nikkor lens is made in China (although the optics are still made in Japan). I hope Denon has improved their translation in the owner's manual over what they did in my old Denon AVR-3200. My wife is Japanese, if there is anything you can't figure out let us know (ha, ha .....I've had many big laughs trying to read some of my Japanese made product owner's manuals over the years....for a good laugh see www.engrish.com)

You've asembled a very fine system there. You got some great bang for the buck equipment including your Panny plasma.

Enjoy!
RR6

You beat me to the punch with that three little words comment.
I have had two denons, hope yours is as nice as mine were.
If I may be so bold, how much?
AND does it have USB ?:1:

f0rge
03-26-2008, 05:21 AM
You beat me to the punch with that three little words comment.
I have had two denons, hope yours is as nice as mine were.
If I may be so bold, how much?
AND does it have USB ?:1:

i was pretty shocked about the japan thing too actually, and the manual is actually decent, but the OSD and internet-based setup are pretty slick, i didn't even need the manual

it has 2 usb ports, one front and one back, but you can only use one at a time

and you'll probably cringe at the price, but keep in mind I'm in Canada, MSRP was $1799, i paid $1390. i know i could have done ~$200 better in the states, but i'm pretty sure i would have gotten murdered on duty/customs. best i could do on Rich's rx-v3800 was $1370 and onkyo was either $799 for a 605 (that's right 605, $799) or $2499 for a 905, couldn't find an 805/875 to save my life.

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2008, 05:33 AM
$1370 for the Yammie's not bad. Other than the deal I got NOBODY was going lower than $100 off of MSRP, IIRC. Of course that was a couple of months ago...

So do you program the receiver through that "Denon Link" I see on the back? Looks like an RJ45 jack.

f0rge
03-26-2008, 06:02 AM
So do you program the receiver through that "Denon Link" I see on the back? Looks like an RJ45 jack.

nah through the ethernet jack, i just hooked it up to my router, fired up my laptop, typed in the receiver's IP into the address bar and voila! full control over the whole unit, including operation and setup (minus on/off functionality). it's really easy and faster than the GUI. plus you can save your setups onto your PC when you get everything done in case you lose your settings.

the denon-link is for other denon products, allows them to "talk" to each other i think.

bobsticks
03-26-2008, 06:13 AM
Very nice purchase...and I look forward to some sound impressions.

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Well, that's one up for the Denon then. I'm still trying to understand where the receiver's looking when it finds music on my computer. :idea:

I'm pretty sure the Denon Link allows the manufacturer to talk to it or for the custom installer to attach his device (not sure what it's called) for setup. That's why I assumed that was what the RJ45 is for.

L.J.
03-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Well, that's one up for the Denon then. I'm still trying to understand where the receiver's looking when it finds music on my computer. :idea:

I'm pretty sure the Denon Link allows the manufacturer to talk to it or for the custom installer to attach his device (not sure what it's called) for setup. That's why I assumed that was what the RJ45 is for.

Rich, I'm thinkin' that your 3800 may be able to do the same thing. You can use a laptop/PC to setup the 2700. I haven't bothered with it, but maybe it would interesting to get into :idea:

http://www.pbase.com/image/68445774.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Well, I don't want to hijack f0rge's thread so I'll post a question in my "...Impressions" thread.

s dog
03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Very very nice, I hope down the road to replace my denon 4800 with the 2808ci. I cant wait to hear what you got to say about the sound of this receiver.

f0rge
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Very nice purchase...and I look forward to some sound impressions.

that might take another day or two, but i'll let you know how it goes

blackraven
03-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Very nice receiver. I've alway been a big fan of the higher end Denon equipment. The OSD looks great! Was it easy to get the Denon to interface with the computer?

f0rge
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Very nice receiver. I've alway been a big fan of the higher end Denon equipment. The OSD looks great! Was it easy to get the Denon to interface with the computer?

yeah it was super easy, for the setup part anyway, just plug the receiver into the router, lookup the IP in the receiver's GUI/OSD, then plug that into the address bar. it's all web based so no program to install or anything

it's pretty cool cause they also offer a PDA link that brings you to a PDA friendly page that lets you used your network connected PDA as another remote. works pretty well on my iphone.

man i cant wait to get home from work and finally do some listening, it was 10:30pm by the time i got everything hooked up last night so i couldn't play music with much volume at all.

f0rge
03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
i did notice one oddity that maybe LJ can help. i'm using my PS3 as a bluray player, and with the new firmware that dropped yesterday it doesn't let you only pick PCM, but now gives you a whole list of values. i looked through it but just picked auto, assuming the ps3 and receiver would figure it out together.

now when i played a bluray (i am legend) which has Dolby TrueHD, the receiver said just "multi ch input".

is that how it's supposed to work cause the PS3 can only output PCM and not actual TrueHD? or did i do something wrong?

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
yeah it was super easy, for the setup part anyway, just plug the receiver into the router, lookup the IP in the receiver's GUI/OSD, then plug that into the address bar. it's all web based so no program to install or anything

it's pretty cool cause they also offer a PDA link that brings you to a PDA friendly page that lets you used your network connected PDA as another remote. works pretty well on my iphone.

man i cant wait to get home from work and finally do some listening, it was 10:30pm by the time i got everything hooked up last night so i couldn't play music with much volume at all.
Ya know, I never even thought to try that. I wonder what'll happen...

f0rge
03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
doing some more fiddling, and oh my god, this must be the worst remote in the history of the universe...either i completely dont understand how to use it, or it cant even do something as simple as switching inputs...i mean come on...it's a remote, how hard could it be to figure out how to switch inputs???

well i cant figure it out...i wish i had my yamaha remote from my old receiver...yeah it's that bad...

captjamo
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
yeah i'm just cutting the spades off and going straight wires for now, at least until i can get some banana plugs on there.
:confused: How do expensive cables that claim to have a heavy special core material to handle bass and some other genuine or special alloy metal for the outer strands for treble work? It seems to me that you still get down to a stamped/formed/plated piece of metal at the connection.

Not knowing the answer to this question, I just used 12 guage monster copper cables, stripped back and doubled over to make a good hefty contact/termination with my speaker and AV receiver posts. It sounds like the signal is thoroughly complete. Explain (anyone) how I will audibly notice a positive difference from what I am doing and, hey, I'd be interested in doing it. Kind of like, what good is shielded cable, if interference signals have unfettered entry into your system at the unshielded terminals, i.e. stripped wire, bananas, spades, etc.

As long as the cable has mass to prevent electron loss and the connection is solid and not weak: what more, hmmm?

captjamo
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice new piece of equipment fOrge. Congrats. Let us know, like Rich has with his new 3800, how it does.

L.J.
03-26-2008, 04:08 PM
i did notice one oddity that maybe LJ can help. i'm using my PS3 as a bluray player, and with the new firmware that dropped yesterday it doesn't let you only pick PCM, but now gives you a whole list of values. i looked through it but just picked auto, assuming the ps3 and receiver would figure it out together.

now when i played a bluray (i am legend) which has Dolby TrueHD, the receiver said just "multi ch input".

is that how it's supposed to work cause the PS3 can only output PCM and not actual TrueHD? or did i do something wrong?

Hmmm....I wonder if they finally addressed that TrueHD issue. Yeah, you should be seeing multi ch. I'll have to look at the settings to see if anything has changed. Here's something I commented on a few weeks ago that may help.

The auto sensing sets your resolution output to match your display but you have to go into the audio settings to set your PS3 to either bitstream or PCM. I leave my PS3 set to bitstream(you can leave it on PCM though) except when watching a BR with TrueHD and I'll explain why. The PS3 cannot bitstream any HD audio signals but it can bitstream standard DD & DTS signals like any DVD player can. My AVR does the decoding and I see either a "DD" or "DTS" displayed on my AVR. When watching a BR with a MC PCM track, the PS3 will automatically switch to PCM and play the uncompressed track and switch back to bitstream when your done. When watching a BR with PCM your AVR will display "MC PCM" or something similar to that.

Now when watching a BR with TrueHD, you have to go in and set audio output on the PS3 from bitstream to PCM. You can do this while the movie is playing though. Just hit triangle, go to audio settings and switch bitstream to PCM. Your AVR will display "MC PCM". Hitting display on your PS3 remote will show that the PS3 is decoding the TrueHD. This only has to be done with TrueHD. Why it doesn't switch over automatically like it does with PCM or SACD is beyond me. What was Sony thinking with that one. Word is this will be fixed with a firmware update eventually and the PS3 will switch over to PCM automatically for HD audio tracks.

There is no way to listen to DTSMA with the PS3 but that's gonna change soon. At the moment, when viewing a BR with DTSMA your only getting the "core" DTS 1.5 mbps track. Your AVR display should read "DTS".

Now that I've confused you even more, you can simply leave your PS3 set to PCM and it will decode everything and you will always see "MC PCM" displayed on your AVR.

captjamo
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Is it some universal plot to make us all not want to buy new AV receivers. My new receiver sounds unbelievable ( favorite part-no additional tweaking after I ran the auto calibration) other than adjusting sub from music to movies). But the remote; nasty. Took me 6 hrs of learning curve.

f0rge
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
:confused: How do expensive cables that claim to have a heavy special core material to handle bass and some other genuine or special alloy metal for the outer strands for treble work? It seems to me that you still get down to a stamped/formed/plated piece of metal at the connection.

Not knowing the answer to this question, I just used 12 guage monster copper cables, stripped back and doubled over to make a good hefty contact/termination with my speaker and AV receiver posts. It sounds like the signal is thoroughly complete. Explain (anyone) how I will audibly notice a positive difference from what I am doing and, hey, I'd be interested in doing it. Kind of like, what good is shielded cable, if interference signals have unfettered entry into your system at the unshielded terminals, i.e. stripped wire, bananas, spades, etc.

As long as the cable has mass to prevent electron loss and the connection is solid and not weak: what more, hmmm?

these cables dont claim to be anything special other than braided, just standard cable in the jackets

they weren't that expensive either

captjamo
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I was trying to be sympathetic with your having to cut off those nice terminals. And your having to do that reminded me of a question I have been wanting to ask the forum, but, I think maybe I should have posed the question in a different thread. I hope I didn't ruin the flow.

RoadRunner6
03-26-2008, 04:51 PM
This old fart gets his speaker wire at Home Depot (high-end audio beautique).

I'll let Roger Russell explain why (this is a long but enlightening article when you have the time and it might just save you enough money to buy that new 1440p plasma coming out next year).

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

RR6

f0rge
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
no worries lol

if i came across as offended/defensive dont worry cause i wasn't :D

captjamo
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
OK good fOrge. Will read the cable article very soon RR6. Thanks.

BadAssJazz
03-27-2008, 11:48 AM
nah through the ethernet jack, i just hooked it up to my router, fired up my laptop, typed in the receiver's IP into the address bar and voila! full control over the whole unit, including operation and setup (minus on/off functionality). it's really easy and faster than the GUI. plus you can save your setups onto your PC when you get everything done in case you lose your settings.

the denon-link is for other denon products, allows them to "talk" to each other i think.

Now that is awesome. Congratz on the receiver!

f0rge
03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
i think i finally got that other remote figured out, but all i have to say is thank god for harmony

i think i finally have everything calibrated as best i can, but i'm having a hell of a time with room acoustics (i just moved here) so i'm struggling with wood floors and hard walls and an odd shaped room.

oh well i'll figure it out one of these days lol

Rich-n-Texas
03-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Go here:

www.atsacoustics.com (http://www.atsacoustics.com) for all your room treatment needs. :thumbsup:

f0rge
03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
stragely enough pointing the speakers straight, as opposed to angling them towards the listening position reduced the harshness of the highs quite a bit, go figure.

powered towers are such a pain, of course i had to get bipolar ones while i was at it...sigh...

and man those things are ugly Rich...my gf puts up with my giant speakers and TV, those things might be pushing it lol

LJ, if my PS3 is in PCM mode it wont output DD or DTS when i'm playing a regular DVD? switching back to bitstream put it in DD. this is annoying, why cant it just output straight dolby trueHD? are regular bluray players like this?

Rich-n-Texas
03-28-2008, 05:44 AM
...and man those things are ugly Rich...my gf puts up with my giant speakers and TV, those things might be pushing it lol
Dig deep enough around here f0rge and you'll find that time after time people stress the importance of room treatments. The Owens Corning panels with burlap covering are easily the most cost effective method for reducing and/or eliminating many of the problems people with rooms like yours face. I guess it's just a matter of priorities for you.

GMichael
03-28-2008, 06:09 AM
stragely enough pointing the speakers straight, as opposed to angling them towards the listening position reduced the harshness of the highs quite a bit, go figure.

powered towers are such a pain, of course i had to get bipolar ones while i was at it...sigh...

and man those things are ugly Rich...my gf puts up with my giant speakers and TV, those things might be pushing it lol

LJ, if my PS3 is in PCM mode it wont output DD or DTS when i'm playing a regular DVD? switching back to bitstream put it in DD. this is annoying, why cant it just output straight dolby trueHD? are regular bluray players like this?

You don't have to build traditional room acoustic panels. I found that you can by some artwork that comes in hollow frames. Some as thick as 2 inches. Get these and put the Owens insulation inside them and you have good panels with fantastic WAF.

L.J.
03-28-2008, 07:13 AM

My wife doesn't mind....and I have 14 panels :eek6:

Well if you leave it on PCM, then the PS3 will decode everything. DD & DTS will display on the PS3 but your just gonna see "MC IN" or something on your AVR. I leave mine on bitstream and just switch over to PCM when viewing a movie with a TrueHD track. Yes, it's very annoying but at least you can switch it over while the movie is playing. This may be fixed via firmware upgrade eventually. I'm not sure about other players but my A2 will switch automatically when viewing a movie with a TrueHD track. If this continues to happen when DTSMA is added, then I'm just gonna leave my PS3 on PCM.

Due to hardware limitations the PS3 cannot bitstream.

f0rge
03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
here's a (somewhat) funny article that describes exactly how i feel:

Anyway, I digress. Long story short PS3 does have TrueHD and other HD audio format abilities, its just that it cannot output them in a raw format (bitstream). So what you have to do is go into the Bluray settings in the PS3 settings menu, and select PCM. PCM is a base digital format which is lossless and all the other good stuff you simply must have these days if you are ever to have sex again (or for you audiophiles out there, for the first time). The PS3 internally transcodes the TrueHD etc to PCM. Once this setting is enabled, the OSD on the TV says TrueHD!! Yaay.

But dammit, no little light on my amp! All I get is PCM, seriously I feel like its in Windows 95 WAV format… I quickly shrivled. Hey its cold out.

As it turns out you cannot make the PS3 output the HD audio signal for decoding in your precious new amp. It must do it internally. Ah, crap… they (white coats) assure me that the PCM conversion is also lossless - big whoop. I want my bloody light. I’m over it. This sucks, and I’m severely disappointed - it would have been easier so enable the light using a soldering iron. I’m gonna watch some Spidey using crap PCM.

I sit down with a coke and some popcorn in my disgustingly small living room with my equally disgustingly overpowered home theatre system. Man I’m pissed, maybe a little too much so. As the thoughts of my little TrueHD light’s impotence slowly leave my tired mind, the sand man starts doing some really cool stuff and i soon realise -

OMG - WOW it sounds good…

F@&^ the light.

basically couldn't any receiver that accepts PCM via HDMI get Dolby TrueHD then? somehow this upsets me, and i dont know why. i may have to check out the standalone players in the fall. glad i opted for the 4 HDMI inputs in the end :D

L.J.
03-28-2008, 08:10 AM
here's a (somewhat) funny article that describes exactly how i feel:

basically couldn't any receiver that accepts PCM via HDMI get Dolby TrueHD then? somehow this upsets me, and i dont know why. i may have to check out the standalone players in the fall. glad i opted for the 4 HDMI inputs in the end :D

Basically yes, as long as the player can decode it. I'm enjoying HD audio just fine on my 2700. Picked it up on clearance when the 3800 came out and saved about $700 or something like that (although the deal Rich got put my deal to almost nothing). Alot of people don't understand that you don't need HDMI 1.3 to enjoy these new audio formats. Alot of people dumped off their perfectly good gear for fancy new units with a TrueHD & DTSMA logo on it. Should've heard them crying when they realized that little TrueHD wouldn't display on their unit.

I wouldn't waste money on a player just because it can bitstream. In the end, it's all lossless audio that has to be converted to PCM. Will we really hear a difference if it's done in the AVR vs being done in the player. And remember, the extra content has to be mixed in the player and cannot be bitstreamed. The player would have to the decoding if you wanted to view that mat'l anyways.

pixelthis
03-30-2008, 10:12 PM

Sheilding is mainly to prevent interferrence from induction when in contact with other wires,
although they are also there to provide some sheilding from RF.
The area at the connector is quite small.
I use monster also, cut off the lugs so I could put bananas on, and they sound great.
Super expensive cables are marketing voodoo, basically, like a lot of crap that is marketed to the audio world, what I call "white van" stuff.
And its a free market, if you want to waste your money on such fine, but that is just more that you cant spend on better gear.
I have probably spent a grand on cables, not that much really, and they are quality,
and the sound is great, which is really all that matters.
People might talk themselves into thinking that a certain cable sounds "different" than
another, but they have never convinced me.
IMHO the entire area of high priced cables falls under the PT BARNUM area,
you know, the old saying of his about one born every minute:1:

f0rge
03-31-2008, 10:29 AM
more time with the unit, more observations and oddities.

first of all i gotta say i'm loving the thing, sounds great, bluray is simply amazing both sonically and visually

but there's a couple of quirks...

things that used to be in DD on my old receiver are only in PL2 on this receiver. wierd things like my xbox, which outputs DD 5.1 for everything, all the time, no matter what, even when playing mp3s. so i cant understand why i cant select DD from the sound options. possibly something to do with switching from optical to HDMI? i'm just not quite sure, the xbox itself is set to DD 5.1. getting the same problem with my cable box, the HD broadcasts wont go into DD, and i'm using optical for that.

using a dvi-hdmi converter on with my PVR and i'm getting noise in the line, most notable on black screens. at first i thought it was the scaler chip (converting 1080i to 1080p) but i turned that off it does it either way. i'm thinking my PVR may be on the fritz, it's doing other odd things right now. next step will be to connect the PVR directly to the tv and see if i still have the noise.

jrhymeammo
03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
www.engrish.com (http://www.engrish.com))

Enjoy!
RR6

That is one of my favorite websites. I'm sure your AVR is cool, but not as cool as you tell your wife that, your Unko was bigger than your Chinko again, when you come out of bathroom. She'll love it.

Kind Regards,
JRA

pixelthis
04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
more time with the unit, more observations and oddities.

first of all i gotta say i'm loving the thing, sounds great, bluray is simply amazing both sonically and visually

but there's a couple of quirks...

things that used to be in DD on my old receiver are only in PL2 on this receiver. wierd things like my xbox, which outputs DD 5.1 for everything, all the time, no matter what, even when playing mp3s. so i cant understand why i cant select DD from the sound options. possibly something to do with switching from optical to HDMI? i'm just not quite sure, the xbox itself is set to DD 5.1. getting the same problem with my cable box, the HD broadcasts wont go into DD, and i'm using optical for that.

using a dvi-hdmi converter on with my PVR and i'm getting noise in the line, most notable on black screens. at first i thought it was the scaler chip (converting 1080i to 1080p) but i turned that off it does it either way. i'm thinking my PVR may be on the fritz, it's doing other odd things right now. next step will be to connect the PVR directly to the tv and see if i still have the noise.

Sounds like you old receiver was messed up and your new one is fine.
You shouldnt be geting a DD signal when playing an MP3, DONT KNOW WHAT thats
ABOUT.
And some HD isnt in DD 5.1, just DD 2 channel(or supposed to be).
I can use pro II on some HD channels.
You say you're getting "noise", is that video or audio "noise"?:1:

f0rge
04-01-2008, 05:13 AM
it's video noise, but i'm starting to think my PVR is screwed, it just randomly stops working, makes it really hard to watch what little TV i even do. i'm going to have to call them and get it replaced.

and no pix, my old receiver wasnt screwed up, xbox 360s output a DD signal all the time, no matter what you're doing, unless of course you're playing a DTS track in a movie (or you set the xbox to stereo).

and i think it was just the game (Devil May Cry 4), i popped in rock band and got DD. which is weird cause the box for DMC specifically says in-game DD

pixelthis
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
it's video noise, but i'm starting to think my PVR is screwed, it just randomly stops working, makes it really hard to watch what little TV i even do. i'm going to have to call them and get it replaced.

and no pix, my old receiver wasnt screwed up, xbox 360s output a DD signal all the time, no matter what you're doing, unless of course you're playing a DTS track in a movie (or you set the xbox to stereo).

and i think it was just the game (Devil May Cry 4), i popped in rock band and got DD. which is weird cause the box for DMC specifically says in-game DD

Well, it must be using some kind of proprietary program like pro II, to convert it before its sent, only way you can get DD (or something resembling it) out of a 2 channel source:1:

f0rge
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
halo 3 coming out in stereo...what's going on?

i think i need to hit up an xbox forum

aeh10
04-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Sorry to bust in on the thread but I just wanted to know if you ever got this resolved as I have had a similar problem with my 2807 and wanted to upgrade to the 3808CI to gain HD sound formats. Thanks in advance and I would love to know how it sounds. I am currently comparing RX-V3800, 3808CI, and VSX-94TXH receivers. 2807 just doesn't have enough power and no upscaling capabilities.

f0rge
04-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Sorry to bust in on the thread but I just wanted to know if you ever got this resolved as I have had a similar problem with my 2807 and wanted to upgrade to the 3808CI to gain HD sound formats. Thanks in advance and I would love to know how it sounds. I am currently comparing RX-V3800, 3808CI, and VSX-94TXH receivers. 2807 just doesn't have enough power and no upscaling capabilities.

well in the end this wasnt a problem with the receiver, but rather with the PS3. it also wasnt really a problem either.

most bluray players should be able to output bitstream trueHD and DTSMA, but the playstation can only output trueHD in PCM, which the receiver sees as a multi channel input, even though it's all going through the HDMI cable.

so i still get trueHD, but i the receiver doesn't acknowledge it as trueHD since the playstation is doing the processing.

it you had a bluray player that did bitstream, the receiver would recognize it as trueHD or DTSMA

i think that's right, LJ will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure.

and so far i think it sounds great, if you go this route i'm sure you'll love it.

L.J.
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Yeah forge is right. The 2807 will work fine with the PS3. I actually had a 2807 for a bit when I was auditioning AVR's. You don't need HD decoding in your AVR with the PS3....or most other BR players for that matter.

Your Denon will display MC input or something like. My Yammie says MC PCM. Just set your PS3 to Linear PCM under HDMI BD/DVD settings.

You could consider staying with your 2807 and adding a power amp. No scaling to 1080p with the 2807 but is it really needed? My 2700 can scale but I don't use it.....really don't see a reason for it unless you watch old VHS tapes or old video games or something. You can scale DVD's to 1080p using your PS3. Heck, your TV may do a better job of scaling.

Just a thought.

f0rge
04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
actually i would agree with LJ on the amp, a nice 5 channel, like a rotel RMB-1075, and you'd be set for about 2/3 the price of a 3808

pixelthis
04-10-2008, 12:25 AM
actually i would agree with LJ on the amp, a nice 5 channel, like a rotel RMB-1075, and you'd be set for about 2/3 the price of a 3808

So how much is one running for (a rotel rmb-1075) :1:

f0rge
04-10-2008, 05:25 AM
So how much is one running for (a rotel rmb-1075) :1:

well audiogon has mint used ones in the $650-750, which is closer to half the price of a 3808, new i'm not sure.

find one with clear binding posts to make sure you get the newest possible

pixelthis
04-10-2008, 03:34 PM
well audiogon has mint used ones in the $650-750, which is closer to half the price of a 3808, new i'm not sure.

find one with clear binding posts to make sure you get the newest possible

thanks.
I love those clear binding posts, thats whats on mine:1: