When you are on CraigsList, What do you search for? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : When you are on CraigsList, What do you search for?

stevef22
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I was just wondering what you search for when on CraigsList, Many awesome old gear goes on CraigsList everyday, I find NAD, Rotel, Sound Craftsman, Adcom sometimes. What do you guys search for? I know some of you are probably too wealthy and dont care to search on CraigsList for audio gear. : )

stevef22
03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Hrmm, does anyone use craigslist to search for old gear?

johnny p
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
mostly I search for threesomes........

Seriously though? I found someone selling a full set of B&W 600's, sub and all.... with a denon receiver, but I've been looking around for people dumping receivers for new HDMI receivers, so if I can get a good deal on a NAD or Marantz or Rotel (pretty please) I can do without the HDMI

just so many scams out there, I am very leary, and of course would only be willing to meet someone at their home for a receiver/component (and that would be if I either know the area, or checked it out in advance to make sure I'm staying in the nice parts of town....)

stevef22
03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Ya, I like to talk to people on the phone first and then find out where they live to gauge what quality of equipment I might be scoring. You never know though,,, I found a nice yamaha receiver on craigslist and I see NAD and Rotel stuff posted for less then half off. Units mostly under 2 years old. Almost new, people move, people get new gear.

StephenMH
03-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Hello Steve This is my first time Posting although I been checking out AudioReview for a long time. I am an Audiophile Junkie. A friend help me promote my Business on Craigs List. Most of the time I go to EBay I've got a few pieces including a good deal on an C39 PreAmp McIntosh which is one of my best collection. You are right to call and check it out. You never know sometimes going in blind.

L.J.
03-27-2008, 06:39 AM
I search Craigslist about twice per week for the same mentioned brands. I haven't picked up anything recently but I did find my Energy C-7's there a year or so ago for $400. No mail for me though using craigslist, local pick up only. I was able to audition the speakers before I paid for them.

I've purchased speakers from audiogon as well.

Jim Clark
03-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I search Craigs list every single day and usually more than once.

Some incredible finds:

Vintage AKG hybrid headphones- 2 sets still in the box. Can't recall the model number of course but for 30.00 a little bit of searching showed these were a no brainer buy.

Set of Mcintosh ML 1C speakers with the MQ101 Environmental Equalizer for 200.00
(pics and bit of the history here: http://www.roger-russell.com/ml1cpg.htm )

Marantz 2230 for 50.00

Nad tape deck - 10.00

Marantz tape deck - 10.00

Right now some guys running a Marantz 140 amp and a 3200 preamp but he wants 400 and they don't have a wood cabinet. Too pricey. : (

My holy grail is a Thorens TD-147 turntable. Someday.

jc

stevef22
03-27-2008, 03:07 PM
StephenMH thats pretty cool of you to finally post something. Glad to see you have found some awesome stuff. Its cool to hear what others have found.

stevef22
03-27-2008, 03:09 PM
A tip for firefox users. > I throw all my fav searches in a bookmark folder. ie I bookmark each of my searches. Then I right click on that bookmark folder and choose "open in all tabs". Bingo, all my fav searches open up super fast and I dont have to type them in every time.

Scott W
04-01-2008, 06:24 AM
My 3 favorite searches are Magnepan,Hafler and Klipsch,I have bought both Hafler and Klipsch from CL and both went off without a problem.I turned down a transaction in a very bad part of Mpls.I would never buy with shipping at all,Face to face is the only way I'll deal,there are some good deals to be had for sure,I picked up 2 Hafler power amps last year(9290 & 9270) for $90 each.Trust your instincts,Good Luck

johnny p
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
POSTED YESTERDAY!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/625900668.html

OH MY OH MY..... I should get these!!!!!

Luvin Da Blues
04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
POSTED YESTERDAY!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/625900668.html

OH MY OH MY..... I should get these!!!!!

Nice johnny, I am considering the 3.6s as my next upgrade & yes you should get those Thiels...beautiful sounding speakers IMHO. :thumbsup:

StephenMH
04-02-2008, 06:36 AM
StephenMH thats pretty cool of you to finally post something. Glad to see you have found some awesome stuff. Its cool to hear what others have found.

Thank You Steve!!! I been wanting to for the longest time. Writing is not my favorite hobby, I'm sort of old school going audio store, magazines, going to audio club and Audio Shows -CES and The Show Etc... I got to many other hobbies also. Like yourself I love to hear what others have found and bought.

Again Thank You!
Loving this audio stuff Stephen MH

Meddle
04-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Craigs List, for me, has been great.

A Marantz 2225 with a mint wood case (which I put in my 2275!) and a mint pair of Utah speakers all for $200.

A pair of Canton CT200s for $200.

A pair of cool Infinity Ref 2s with stands for 20 bucks.

A set Empire Grenadier table speakers with marble tops in tip top shape for 50 bucks.

A nice Yamaha (HTR 5750) surround amp for 75 bucks.

That's just off the top of my head. There's more.

Always deal face to face. Always insist on some type of tryout before you pay. Reasonable people will not object to a fair deal.

Selling on Craigs list, for me, is less enjoyable.

hermanv
04-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I assume you guys know about Audiogon http://www.audiogon.com/. It won't have as many rock bottom bargains as eBay or Craig's list, bit the sheer number of items is stunning.

aevans
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Kinergetics Research Subs, I've had my eye on these for literally 20 years, they are still out of my price range when sold used.. they usually run about 5-7k with the crossover.

other than that I may look for sources, anything quality that spins music.

Although I'm always looking, the only thing I've bought was an additional kinergetics amp, THX certified newer version with an upgraded powersupply and cardis hookups in the back. I plan on using it for a sub amp at some point (I know I should be shot for putting a class A amp on a sub), but it's hidding out under the bed for the time being.

Rock&Roll Ninja
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
mostly I search for threesomes........

Don't forget dominatrixes