Who is your favorite AR debater? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite AR debater?

GMichael
03-25-2008, 06:03 AM
We have many debaters here on AR. Some have extensive knowledge and some are just a lot of fun to read. Who is your favorite and why? Do you have any stories or old debates you can share with the rest of us?

Wooch: Lots of great knowledge here, and he sure likes a good fight. Make sure you know what you are saying is correct or he'll pick you apart like road kill.

Sir T: Stand back! Flame suite on. Another man with a lot of information. Don't try to bluff your way through his debates. He'll rip you a new a$$!

Markw: Mark has plenty of experience in electronics. But make no mistake. He's here for the fight.

Resident Looser: We miss RL. His sarcasm and wit are unmatched. Brush up on your college English and read his posts carefully. They often don't say what they seem to say.

Pixelthis: Our current "say anything to get a rise out of people" person. He posts many facts twisted like a work of art until they prove something they have nothing to do with. Don't get too upset though. He's just messing with us. Or is he?

Florian: He knows his chit when it comes to high end equipment. Do you remember the old Flo? Him and RGA would go at it almost every day, but I sure learned a lot.

RGA: He could type like nobody's business. I couldn't read it all, but what I did read was well written.

Groundbeef: Whatever happened to all his fighting? Did Wooch and Sir T soften him up?

Peruvianskies: Mr Troll hunter went off the deep end. His personal attacks went a little too far.

Lexmark: The best for last? His movie reviews were fun to read. You could always count on another vampire review that had bad dialog. In the end, this woman hater must have run out of meds. His meltdowns were classic.

I know that there were some others left out. Write in votes are ok. I'll try to add them all up.

JSE
03-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Debater? It was a toss up between Wooch and Sir T. So, I flipped a coin and Wooch won. Sorry T. :p Markw is just as skilled but quantity has to count for something. Wooch and T had the edge there. Quantity not length, I've scolded T a few times for his looooong posts. :nono:

I voted and then flipped based on the fact that Wooch and T are closer to the debater definition. While Lex and Pix are/were clearly the most fun the read, they really did not do much debating. Insanely ranting and raving are more like it. Because of this, I could not vote for either.

GMichael
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
It's a risky move, but I'm going to say Sir T. He doesn't just chase old printers away. He beats them into a pile of toner and plastic.

L.J.
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey...Isn't PS & Lex the same person. Well I guess it does make sense to still address him as 2 different people :lol:

Woochifer
03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Gotta go with my bro T, since I've lost more debates to him over the years than anyone else on this board. Maybe one of these days I'll even the score, but that would entail a lot of changing the subject! :cool:

As for the old timers, Doc Greene retired undefeated (I only took him on a couple of times, and barely lived to tell about it!), and mtrycrafts always managed to debate audio topics while never revealing what he actually owned or used and almost always steering the topic back to DBT.

Woochifer
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey...Isn't PS & Lex the same person. Well I guess it does make sense to still address him as 2 different people :lol:

If he's two people in his own mind, who are we to tell him he's one and the same? That would be like revealing the truth about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny -- that they are really domestic partners living the debauched party life on Ibiza! :cool:

Rich-n-Texas
03-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't think I have to say who I voted for. Yes, Sir T, Wooch, Mark are great and knowledgable debaters (antagonists?) which has a lot to do with what I've learned here so far, but I can't say much about RGA and Flo since I wasn't really participating here in '05 & '06.

As far as I'm concerned though, RL, with his wit, wisdom, comedic style and flair for sarcasm was the perfect counterpoint for this group. His power cord debate with E-Stat comes to mind which was just classic RL. I think he'll be back, and our "close-knit" community will be better off for it.

Speaking of E-Stat, I would've included him on the list as well.

kexodusc
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Sir T for endurance alone...man knows some serious chite about a/v everything too.

JSE
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
:

, and mtrycrafts always managed to debate audio topics while never revealing what he actually owned or used and almost always steering the topic back to DBT.

A long long time ago I asked a question in the off topic forums about which type food was better for me to eat that night. I think it was between Mexican and Greek. Many people gave me their opinions and various suggestions. Mtrycrafts chimed is and said nobody could say for certain which would be best until we all conducted DBTs. I think that actually answered my question the best. :skep:

BTW, I think someone found out he had a Realistic record player with 8-Track deck all-in-one-job with built in speakers.

GMichael
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Sir T streaks out to an early lead. (of 2)

bobsticks
03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Fortunately for purposes of civility the difference between my favorite and the best debater can be described as 100% subjective.

Clearly, Wooch and T are the most well-versed among us. I have consulted their writings for advice on purchases and I have benefited from it. I have consulted their writings on tweaks and set-up advice and I have benefited from it. A case for either being the most technically accurate or most conforming to proper methodology of argumentation would be easy to make.

That said, Resident Loser had a way with words that never failed to amuse and educate...and didn't require the gargantuan level of mental persipacity just to make it to the end of the post...

(Sir Terrence??!...how about Sir Protagoras...you killed me with the "Nighliar Wars"...I felt like Dionysius and Sisyphus all rolled up into one quivering ball of mental oatmeal...)

Florian
03-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Well, i just had to vote for myself. I am not a fan of Wooch and his Paradigm thingys ;-) I dont know much about SirT.... and self love is the best love of them all !

GMichael
03-26-2008, 05:09 AM
I dont know much about SirT....

Don't all you ex mods/AR walk offs have a club together?

Luvin Da Blues
03-26-2008, 05:17 AM
I have never really heard/read Sir T go at it yet so... my vote for the ARs Masterdebater goes to Wooch.:6:

Feanor
03-26-2008, 05:28 AM
I vote for Sir T-the-T. He's well informed of course, but on top of that he is tenacious, relentlessly thorough, brooks no ignorance or foolishness, and will tell you exactly what he thinks of your arguments and you yourself.

(Personally I'm no debater. I state my case within in the bounds of my knowledge then I'm otta there.)

basite
03-26-2008, 05:42 AM
after reading the 'PLASMA IS DEAD' thread, my current vote goes to Wooch :D

topspeed
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
With respect to JSE/Cartman, I had to vote for our dearly departed schizo: Lexie/TLADINY/John/PS

Sure, many of the other people listed are very good debaters, but are any MORE ENTERTAINING than Lex was? Put Lex, Sir T, and JSE in a room and break out the beer and pretzels.

CLASSIC.

JSE
03-26-2008, 10:25 AM
With respect to JSE/Cartman, I had to vote for our dearly departed schizo: Lexie/TLADINY/John/PS

Sure, many of the other people listed are very good debaters, but are any MORE ENTERTAINING than Lex was? Put Lex, Sir T, and JSE in a room and break out the beer and pretzels.

CLASSIC.

You guys had Beer & Pretzels? :(

GMichael
03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
You guys had Beer & Pretzels? :(

And popcorn.

JSE
03-26-2008, 11:16 AM
And popcorn.

Dammit! :mad:

GMichael
03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Dammit! :mad:

You guys were too busy fighting over who was off their meds to notice that the rest of us were planning parties and betting on who would say what first. You were better than the 3 stooges.

Groundbeef
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I voted for myself.

As for the fighting, I just don't have the time. Cant even spend time on the 360. This last semester is gonna kill me. That and looking for a job. Between the both, I'll be dead before June.

BTW, I think that was a little below the belt calling Sir T "A big Flamer". Oh wait, I mis-read. A flame artist. Well, I guess not all flamers are in theater. Some have to paint I guess.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I voted for my brudda Wooch, because I have to admit, I would never get into a debate with him, he is just too good and informative. Besides, how do you call someone as smart, nice and cool as he is a Mudos hijo de puta. It just wouldn't work because he is the total opposite. I remembered when he first joined here, so wet behind the ears he could have caused a midwest flood. He ain't that way now, and it just makes me so proud.....Okay I have pulled myself together.

Damn you Wooch, you had to go and mention Doc Greene. Damn I really miss that guy a whole lot. He was my mentor, friend, and hero. I am still smarting from his departure.

RL, he is another I greatly respected. I didn't always agree with his views, and we have gotten into it on several occasions. But I always walked away really respecting him as a person. Not to mention his colorful dialog.

BTW, I think that was a little below the belt calling Sir T "A big Flamer". Oh wait, I mis-read. A flame artist. Well, I guess not all flamers are in theater. Some have to paint I guess.

LOLOL..Beef, this is soooooooo cold. Anyone have a jacket! LOL. Mooboy, hang in there with school. If you die, we will send you to a meat packing plant in Chino. You'll be alright there.

Freakin Topspeed, holdin back on the beer, pretzels AND popcorn while I had to deal with a cucarachas outbreak in the form of Lex printer type individual. Unforgiveable...

And to think, back in the late nineties there was so much brain power on this website, my name wouldn't have even made this list.

03-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Don't all you ex mods/AR walk offs have a club together?

That club was disbanded when we all walked off.

GMichael
03-27-2008, 05:20 AM
And to think, back in the late nineties there was so much brain power on this website, my name wouldn't have even made this list.

Don't start that acceptance speech just yet there my friend. Looks like Wooch slipped into the lead while you were clearing your throat.

Rich-n-Texas
03-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Looks like I picked a Looser again.

(Pun intended without hesitation)

Rich-n-Texas
03-27-2008, 06:01 AM
That club was disbanded when we all walked off.
Noooooooo... That club was disbanded when you invited SVI to join. :rolleyes:

03-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Don't start that acceptance speech just yet there my friend. Looks like Wooch slipped into the lead while you were clearing your throat.

Not an acceptance speech, just a sobering reality. That was my vote you ninny!

GMichael
03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
you ninny!

Pixyfan!

03-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Noooooooo... That club was disbanded when you invited SVI to join. :rolleyes:

No I dent!! That was Eric

03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Pixyfan!

Am not :prrr:

Rich-n-Texas
03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
No I dent!! That was Eric
In that case, they didn't walk off, they RAN off! :yikes:

03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
In that case, they didn't walk off, they RAN off! :yikes:

He ran me off, that is for sure.

GMichael
03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
OK, two write in votes for Ericl. Got it.

oaqm
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I am a worthless n00b, but I voted for Woochifer based on the references to the thread discussing the demise of a late lamented technology that died from plasmalaria.... or something like that.

trollgirl
04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
My, my, my, you've become a chummy bunch...

GMichael
04-22-2008, 07:10 AM
My, my, my, you've become a chummy bunch...

Come on back and fire off a few posts. There are still a few people here who enjoy a going few rounds. Most of them are just lurkers now. Maybe you can drag them out of retirement.

04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Come on back and fire off a few posts. There are still a few people here who enjoy a going few rounds. Most of them are just lurkers now. Maybe you can drag them out of retirement.

I was dragged out of retirement, I still have the gravel in my hiney to prove it!

Rich-n-Texas
04-25-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm told pix likes Rocky Road sundaes T? :lol:

GMichael
04-25-2008, 07:15 AM
There's an image I could have lived without.:yikes:

04-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm told pix likes Rocky Road sundaes T? :lol:

Okay, this was good. Now can you tell me how I can get my morning cup of coffee off the screen and back into the cup?

Groundbeef
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Okay, this was good. Now can you tell me how I can get my morning cup of coffee off the screen and back into the cup?

You could take off your Depends, soak it up, then wring it back into the cup.

Of course you should make sure it's clean first. Otherwise that could be a bit nasty.

Rich-n-Texas
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Geeeeez.... a page out of pix's book. :eek:

05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
You could take off your Depends, soak it up, then wring it back into the cup.

Of course you should make sure it's clean first. Otherwise that could be a bit nasty.

Naaawww, I found Depends fashionably unsuitable for me. Pampers are definately the way to go, and their pamp couture line is especially snazzy:ciappa:

bobsticks
05-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Jesus, just how old is everyone on this site?

We need to install a diaper changing station next to the watercooler?

GMichael
05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Jesus, just how old is everyone on this site?

We need to install a daiper changing station next to the watercooler?

There seem to be two generations here.

1) Just out of HS, but not out of diapers yet.
2) Old as dust. Starting to get back into diapers.

Time to stock up on the Pampers.

Smokey
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't like the direction this thread has taken :frown2:

trollgirl
05-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Sorry, I seem to have mellowed out some since that knock-down-then-kick insult-fest I had with what's-his-name. It was a long time [yawn] ago... Maybe something new for the Steel Cage - I enjoyed the Kennedy Assassination thread, and I still seem to have had the last say.

I recently read Richard Hoagland's "Dark Mission," and besides the usual suspects [the Vatican, the CIA, the Mob, the LBJ, the Fidel, the Russkies, etc, etc, etc] he supplies a surprise candidate: NASA. A very interesting story, and credible. In the book is a false-color enlargement, from someone's photo, of three men in the grassy knoll area, and one of them is clearly in a policeman's uniform, and is just as clearly firing a rifle.

BTW, Hoagland [unlike me] insists that Apollo did land men on the Moon. If you take a look at "Dark Mission," PM me and tell me how many mistakes there are on the front cover photo, and what they are. I count at least four.

Smokey may like this direction even less...

Laz

Rich-n-Texas
05-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't like the direction this thread has taken :frown2:
:lol: I missed this one. You're showing your age Smokey. :smilewinkgrin:

Pat D
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Of those listed, I would pick Wooch, though Sir T and Markw are no slouches.

Mtrycrafts would be my first choice, but he doesn't bother to post over here any more. But he's very active at Audioholics, where his talents are appreciated.

Eyesypy also was very good, but I haven't heard from him for ages. Here's the link to his site, which contains loads of useful information and references:

http://2eyespy.tripod.com/

Richard Greene hangs out at AA giving good information and advice, especially on subwoofers. Dick Hertz is there also. I post there fairly often, too.

Don't know about Resident Loser anymore.

Here at AR, I look in mainly on Rave Recordings to see if I can contribute anything to the discussions: some people ask me about classical music from time to time. I also look at Speakers, General, and occasionally, Off Topic. I'll be busy for a few months anyway so I won't have much time for posting anywhere because my old office asked me to go back and work on a project which should be very interesting and challenging. They appreciate you on projects, and some of the people working on it know what I can do. And they made an offer I couldn't refuse.:smile5: