Help! - B&W DM620 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! - B&W DM620

Retorterous
03-25-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm currently watching a pair of DM620 speakers on ebay -

how do they sound?
how do they compare with the the current kevlar/nautilus generation?
what should i expect to pay?

Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

PDN
03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Well, I'll take a stab at this. It may be a long shot to find anyone who has these units or is familiar with their sound. I've never heard them but I did take a look at their specs. They have two 200mm mid-range/bass polypropylene drivers which are fairly large as compared to the current 600 series which employs their standard 6" mid-range kevlar drivers and 6.5" aluminum/kevlar bass drivers. They are rated as 4 ohm speakers requiring more power to drive them than a standard 8 ohm speaker but at the same time, they have a sensitivity of 96 dB's which is high. Kelvar for drivers is a superior technology over the older polyproplylene since they remain more stiff during play minimizing standing waves and transmitting far fewer delayed time-smearing sounds for a much cleaner sound. Do you know the age of these speakers? The tweeter is probably not the tapered tube nautilus technology which eliminates bouncing and messy sound waves from behind the tweeter producing more crisp highs. Having said all of this, how they sound in your system in your room can only be found out one way. My gut feel is that they are probably boomy sounding with those two 8" drivers (IMO).

Retorterous
03-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes - all of what you say makes sense.

They are 1990-2 i think.

I missed out on a pair of B&W 602.5 S3 the other day for US$340!! Outrageous!

I will now find it very hard to pay anything over $250 for these but i suspect they will go for around $500. Damn.

PDN
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
With the new B&W 600 series out now and selling well (I suspect), I would speculate that more and more of the older Series 2 & 3 600 DM speakers should be available preowned at B&W dealers as trade-ins as well as on this site at audiogon.com, ebay, etc. Right now there's a pair of DM602 S2's in black at audiogon.com for $325.00/par. Are you sold just on floor standers or perhaps large bookshelves? The DM602 S3's are dynamite. They have a full 7" dia mid-range/bass driver which is large for a standmount. What is your budget on this if I may ask?

Retorterous
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes, my friend has a pair of DM602 S3 speakers and they are pretty flawless.

I'm in Australia and everything here is more expensive. I wouldn't want to spend more than AU$450 dollars (about US$400). Speakers in the US are cheaper, but postage is painful - i recently bought an immaculate Pioneer SX-780 receiver for US$125 and postage cost US$135. Ah well, I would've been paying a considerable amount more had i purchased the same item here (and waited for a few years for one to come up!)

Large bookshelf speakers are okay. I'm also watching some JBL LX44 speakers from around 1990. I might be able to pick them up for AU$300.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=LX44BLK&CheckProduct=Y

Also, I have my on some Mission Renaissance 737 form the mid 80s.

Do you anything about either of these speakers? I'd still prefer the DM620s - from what i figure, sound-wise i can't go wrong, but i just need to watch the price.

tadwyche
03-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm currently watching a pair of DM620 speakers on ebay -

how do they sound?
how do they compare with the the current kevlar/nautilus generation?
what should i expect to pay?

Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I own a pair of the DM 620 speakers-when I bought them around 1990 I thought they were the most convincing speakers I had ever listened to.