Best DVD Player for <$1000??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Player for <$1000???

fountboy
03-05-2004, 04:40 PM
What is the best DVD player for under $1000? I am using it with a DVI capable front projector, the BenQ8700. As far as video input goes to the projector, should I use component or DVI, or both? I know DVI keeps the signal in the digital domain all the time, but there isn't much of a DVI enabled DVD player selection right now.

I will be using the theater room for mostly movies, DVD's, but also broadcast TV and HDTV when is is more available.

SO anyways yeah, what is the best DVD player out there for under $1000 that would fit my needs. Thanks.

Woochifer
03-05-2004, 05:48 PM
By the end of the year, there will be a lot more DVI-enabled DVD players. So, if you really want to take advantage of the DVI input on your projector, then you're probably best off waiting it out. Panasonic and Toshiba release their DVI DVD players next month, and since both manufacturers provide OEM components to higher end manufacturers (eg: Yamaha and Denon both use Panasonic transports for their DVD players, and add their own modificatons later), more high end stuff will likely follow suit. No guarantee though that the DVI input will yield higher picture quality since this is really the first round of DVI DVD players, and with any first releases there are bound to be growing pains. Component video has had more time to work out lingering problems.

The DVI-enabled DVD players coming out will cost a lot less than $1,000. The $1,000 price point is mostly for universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD players, and for now, players like the Denon DVD-2900, Yamaha DVD-S2300, or Pioneer Elite DV-47A are the most oft mentioned players right around that price point. But, none of them have DVI outputs.

spacedeckman
03-05-2004, 08:51 PM
The consortium met recently and decided they had nowhere else to go with the standard and it wasn't worth re-engineering.

HDMI is coming.

fountboy
03-06-2004, 08:57 AM
So between the Denon DVD2900 and the Elite 47Ai, what would be your choice. I was already thinking about the Denon, but I am using a Pioneer Elite receiver, not that it matters. Thanks.

By the end of the year, there will be a lot more DVI-enabled DVD players. So, if you really want to take advantage of the DVI input on your projector, then you're probably best off waiting it out. Panasonic and Toshiba release their DVI DVD players next month, and since both manufacturers provide OEM components to higher end manufacturers (eg: Yamaha and Denon both use Panasonic transports for their DVD players, and add their own modificatons later), more high end stuff will likely follow suit. No guarantee though that the DVI input will yield higher picture quality since this is really the first round of DVI DVD players, and with any first releases there are bound to be growing pains. Component video has had more time to work out lingering problems.

The DVI-enabled DVD players coming out will cost a lot less than $1,000. The $1,000 price point is mostly for universal DVD/DVD-A/SACD players, and for now, players like the Denon DVD-2900, Yamaha DVD-S2300, or Pioneer Elite DV-47A are the most oft mentioned players right around that price point. But, none of them have DVI outputs.