Introduction [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi, I'm new!!

Where is the 'Introduction Forum'? Maybe it's a joke only for novices hahaha.

I never thought I could write in a forum like this but last christmas I bought my father's dream: a really HI-FI stereo, not the usual stereo my friends know. I'm very happy with my Harman Kardon: HK 3480 and CD HD 970, B&W 684 but ... there is always a 'but'!!! Since I bought it I think that the salesman was very 'smart' and, sure, I was a real beginner.

So, I need some advice not interested and objective. Is it a good purchase? Maybe for the same money I could buy something better... I use to listen Ben Harper and other classics like Beethoven or Haendel :smilewinkgrin:

When I bought it I thought 'I'm satisfied. I did it. I will not need to look for another HI-FI in years'. And I'm here writing ... 3 months later.

Thanks in advance for your advices

Greetings from Barcelona

basite
03-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Hi there :D

there is no introductions forum indeed, but posting it in the general audio forum is good enough :D

It's a good system to start with, for the money, you sure bought a good system...

you can always upgrade, of course, but you have to decide if you want more or not. But at the moment, you should enjoy it and save for future upgrades if you really want to.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
03-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Welcome to AR. HK & B&W make some nice equipment. The biggest question is, "How do you like them?"
I bet your system sounds sweet!

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your coments!

I guess I'll be satisfied with my purchase until I listen something better; and it's not easy because my friends don't know this crazy world of music equipments. My pocket is safe!!!

Thanks again

GMichael
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for your coments!

I guess I'll be satisfied with my purchase until I listen something better; and it's not easy because my friends don't know this crazy world of music equipments. My pocket is safe!!!

Thanks again

Don't go yet! Maybe you need to spend $5k on new speaker wires.:arf:

bobsticks
03-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear from new friends across the pond.

"Is the system enough" is a question only you can answer. To be sure you've got some solid components. After three months do you find anything lacking? Enough bass? Too much fatiguing topend sizzle?

My only concern would be the size of your room. I suspect for a 4m x 5m room this would be a quality, simple system. In a room substantially larger the HK might have problems pushing the B&Ws to concert level volumes. Just a thought.

Again, welcome aboard. It seems like you're doing just fine.

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes, indeed, my room is 5m x 5m and it's not easy to listen music at concert level because I coild be generous with my music but my neighbours are not so understanding.

I like my equipment but I see a little weakness: bass, it's difficult to explain; if I reinforce the bass I feel to much distance with the middle tons...

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi GMichael,

What does it means '$5k'?

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi GMichael,

bobsticks
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Hey Marcel,

By "5k" GM means $5000.00US. Some here have been known to engage in such spending habits. I'm pretty sure he's joking with you.

With a room that size, and having neighbors, I suspect you would be best served by concentrating on quality and finesse over quantity of watts. I would suggest a subwoofer with an internal crossover. Your HK receiver will have some presets for sending the low tones to the sub and the mids and highs to the mains. Rarely is a receiver accurate in doing this (every room has special requirements after all).

One of the biggest mistakes new members make is buying a sub, slapping it in the chain and not working to customize the sound for the room...and then they wonder why it sounds bloated. An internal crossover will allow you to trim the bass frequencies to the sub so you don't have replication between the speakers. It will also allow you to lower the volume so that the critical midrange and highs are still prevalent.

Bass should be a foundation, not the only thing you hear.

Peace

GMichael
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Hi GMichael,

Sorry, just joking with you.

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your advices, Bobsticks.

About $5k...nice GM, I think it's a great joke. If you need to laugh often maybe I can help you with a lot of jokes about $5k.

GMichael
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for your advices, Bobsticks.

About $5k...nice GM, I think it's a great joke. If you need to laugh often maybe I can help you with a lot of jokes about $5k.

That's a good start. Will you take a check? If so, check out these threads.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=22015&highlight=joke

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=22720&highlight=joke

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=19799&highlight=joke

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14994&highlight=joke

marcelnonatsu
03-24-2008, 10:03 AM
HA HA HA HA, :sleep:

Is it funny?

I doesn´t matter. I really appreciate your welcome message to this forum. :arf:

hydroman
03-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Welcome aboard!
Nice set up!

Let the tweaks begin! Is anyone ever completely satisifed? I sometimes move speakers just to hear a difference.

marcelnonatsu
03-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi Hydroman,

thanks for your welcome.

I will try it...to look for a different sound. Yesterday I spent some money on new speaker wires and there is a big difference. I'm not joking, it's true!! (maybe I don't understand GM because my english is :sad: ).
I spent less than 10% of my equipment value and there is a big big difference.

Thanks

captjamo
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Welcome Marcel. I'm pretty new myself. I almost bought the complete 684 home theater suite. What wires are doing so well for you? I agree with Bobsticks that a sub is what you need. 684's sound really good. Nice choice. Enjoy