TSM-MMe BURN-IN [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TSM-MMe BURN-IN

crt416
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I just bought a BRAND NEW Merlin TSM-MMe. Any one know, how long it take to break-in?
Sound is dry now but I heard after break-in sound will excellent. Any suggestion ?? Thanks.

jdance
03-23-2008, 12:35 AM
I just did some research on this (Google) and "speaker break-in" is roughly half-hoax. I am not familiar with your speakers, though.

To answer your question, the believers said normal listening over anywhere from 10-50 hours is the typical break-in period. Others recommended playing pink noise for shorter periods (one person recommended pointing them towards each other, hooking one up out of phase, and playing pink noise overnight), but that seems foolish/dangerous to me, as playing something like that over an extended period can put a lot of stress on the speaker. I would just stick to normal listening.

Good luck!

jrhymeammo
03-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Congrats on your purchase.

Merlin makes some of the finest loudspeaker, and I find them to be exceptional.

You should find out their sound opening up after 10-20 hours, and should fine tune itself after 200 hours or so. Break-in period of speakers is no myth.

Hifi shop I used to go to had a brand new pair of Stradivari, and they were breaking them in with Classe gears turned all the way up with Britney Spears CD on repeat. I felt extremely dirty after that incident because I had recognized her music....

Have fun with your new toy.
JRA