impact of room acoustics on speaker selection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : impact of room acoustics on speaker selection?

marsal
03-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I need to select a speaker system for my new house within the next two weeks. I'm currently living in an apartment, while my new house is still a bunch of timbers and plywood.

I'm torn between two different speaker systems, and I would like to bring both of them to my apartment and listen to them for a couple of days before choosing one of them. My question is: Would this be a valid test? In other words, if I liked one speaker system better in my apartment, would that probably mean that I would like that speaker system better in my home?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Jimmy C
03-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I need to select a speaker system for my new house within the next two weeks. I'm currently living in an apartment, while my new house is still a bunch of timbers and plywood.

I'm torn between two different speaker systems, and I would like to bring both of them to my apartment and listen to them for a couple of days before choosing one of them. My question is: Would this be a valid test? In other words, if I liked one speaker system better in my apartment, would that probably mean that I would like that speaker system better in my home?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

I would buy whichever speaker you think sounds best NOW. Sure, room acoustics play a huge role in overall sound, but the speaker's basic characteristics will carry through to the next place.

Oh - and don't spend too much on the rig... you'll need it for the new digs :*)

PDN
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I would also suggest you install as thick a carpet as you can in your new listening room as well as good thick drapes or curtains (if there are windows) to enhance the overall sound and bass response. Wood floors, tile floors, etc make a room more echoey and bass challenged. Upholstered furniture also helps. Enjoy the new home !! Nothing like the smell of a new house.