Best Buy offers $50 rebate to HD-DVD owners, Circuit City offers trade-up to Blu-ray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy offers $50 rebate to HD-DVD owners, Circuit City offers trade-up to Blu-ray

Woochifer
03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
When the HD-DVD camp threw in the towel, Best Buy had indicated that they would come up with a trade-in/up program for HD-DVD player owners. Presumably other retailers were weighing similar programs for their customers. Details of BB's program were posted onto their website this week. It basically consists of two separate programs.

1. For anyone who purchased a HD-DVD player (including the Xbox 360 add-on drive) before February 23, a $50 gift card will be mailed out to them by May. This is unconditional and can be used for any BB store or website purchase, not just Blu-ray products as had been rumored earlier.

2. Anyone who wants to trade in their HD-DVD player, BB's website is accepting trade-ins on HD-DVD players, even if it was purchased somewhere else. The site just went online today, and the prevailing trade-in values for a HD-DVD player in excellent condition with the original box and remote range between $40 and $165 (for the Tosh HD-XA2). The trade-in value is again redeemed as a BB gift card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat147600050717&type=category

While Best Buy is moving forward by publicizing this offer on the front page of their website, Circuit City seems to have a more cryptic campaign for their HD-DVD customers. Basically, CC extended the return window on HD-DVD players to 90 days, and will supposedly apply the full purchase price towards a Blu-ray player no matter how old the HD-DVD player is. But, details of this programs are not available on CC's website, and you have to go into a CC store and ask for the offer.

pixelthis
03-23-2008, 10:45 PM
This is basically an I.Q test, to see if those dumb enough to buy into a doomed format
will be smart enough to get out while the gettin's good, or will they keep their HD dino
because its such a "good upconverter"

Think you can figure it out wooch?:1:

Woochifer
03-24-2008, 05:53 PM
This is basically an I.Q test, to see if those dumb enough to buy into a doomed format
will be smart enough to get out while the gettin's good, or will they keep their HD dino
because its such a "good upconverter"

Think you can figure it out wooch?:1:

Obviously, you haven't yet, otherwise you wouldn't be asking! :dita:

pixelthis
03-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Obviously, you haven't yet, otherwise you wouldn't be asking! :dita:

Ok, so whos next?
Some weirdo named "wooch"
STAMP

a BIG FAT F-:1:

Woochifer
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok, so whos next?
Some weirdo named "wooch"
STAMP

a BIG FAT F-:1:

Just as I suspected, clueless as usual! :lol:

You do know that IQ tests are not administered on an A-F scale, right? Or is that F stamp the only one that you have first hand experience with? :dita:

pixelthis
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Just as I suspected, clueless as usual! :lol:

You do know that IQ tests are not administered on an A-F scale, right? Or is that F stamp the only one that you have first hand experience with? :dita:

an "f" IS BELOW 60.
Like your "I.Q":1:

Woochifer
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
an "f" IS BELOW 60.
Like your "I.Q":1:

Had to look that up too, huh? Or are you just now learning to count that high? :dita:

dean_martin
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
I received the best buy notice (not the $50 gift card) by mail. Then I received an automated phone call from best buy that repeated itself like a scratched LP:

Hello. This is Best Buy. Our records indicate...Hello...hello...hello...hello, etc., ad nauseum.

Woochifer
03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I received the best buy notice (not the $50 gift card) by mail. Then I received an automated phone call from best buy that repeated itself like a scratched LP:

Hello. This is Best Buy. Our records indicate...Hello...hello...hello...hello, etc., ad nauseum.

Supposedly, the gift cards will arrive in May to coincide with the arrival of the stimulus checks, and a major promotional push for Blu-ray will happen then as well.