This was surprising. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This was surprising.

Bigmoney
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I stopped by my dealer today and walked about with a monster power strip just to demo. The strip retails at 229$. I did'nt pay a dime but rather borrowed it as I am clsoe with the owner. I wanted to see the affect of basic line filtration in my system. I hooked it up and..............the sound was horrible! The sound was a tad coloured, bright, edgy, higher noise floor, and I would say the soundstage was a little wider with worse imaging. I guess the best word would be smeared. How could this be I thought. Has anyone had similar results with power conditioning. Please tell me that other conditioners may benefit me. Hopefully this is just another reason to stay away from monster.

basite
03-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I had better effects :)

but I used Isotek power strips. much better IMHO...
I don't really like monster for the reasons you mentioned. not only their power products are like that...

Those power strips are actually also filters. and filters take frequencies out, and kill the dynamics a little. this is also called overfiltering, which results in the things you summed up :)

also try PS audio when you get the chance to...

What the isotek did in my system: overall, a quieter background, less stressy, and more focus.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bigmoney
03-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Did you have any negative effects with the isotek.