PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month

L.J.
03-20-2008, 08:30 AM
PS3 BD-Live Update Coming This Month

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will issue a firmware update later this month that will enable the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to playback BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray movie discs. BD-Live allows your Blu-ray player (in this case, a PS3) to access additional content via an Internet connection. Some already revealed BD-Live features include downloading related movie trailers, sending a ringtone to your cellphone, and playing interactive online games.

Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA commented, "With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers. Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the release of this BD-Live upgrade, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story' and 'The 6th Day', both of which will feature exclusive BD-Live content to show off the potential of the upgrade. Additionally, films such as Lionsgate's 'War' and 'Saw IV', which were released earlier this year, already have BD-Live features right on the disc.

With this upgrade, the PS3 will become the first available BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market, living up to its position as the ultimate home entertainment system. The first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player will be the Panasonic DMP-BD50, which is expected to be released this May.

Full Upgrade Details
BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade
"Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (*1)
"Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.
DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
"Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (*2)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1132

L.J.
03-20-2008, 08:38 AM
That's nice and all, I welcome any upgrades to the PS3, I mean I really love my PS3, but........WHERE"S DTSMA!!!!!! :arf:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
That's nice and all, I welcome any upgrades to the PS3, I mean I really love my PS3, but........WHERE"S DTSMA!!!!!! :arf:

I have a feeling its going to be a while for Dtsma. From what I have heard from Paidgeek the Sony insider, Sony is not going to do what Toshiba has done and screw other CE companies within the BDA by undercutting their players. If the PS3 get DtsMA, then pioneer, panasonic, and other CE players that have players that can do it, but are more expensive, will be undercut. It is going to happen though, he confirmed that, but they want to wait until more players closer to the PS3 price are out there.

GMichael
03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
It's cool and all to get 2.0, but I just upgraded last week. What happened to the fewer upgrade thing?

L.J.
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
It's cool and all to get 2.0, but I just upgraded last week. What happened to the fewer upgrade thing?

The upgrade last week was to add system stability.

The PLAYSTATION®3 System Software version 2.17 update includes the following:

System stability during use of some PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been increased.

I'll take all the updates I can get. You gotta love the support :thumbsup:

So you finally got connected to the network. Are you doing wireless?

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm teetering on the edge...

L.J.
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling its going to be a while for Dtsma. From what I have heard from Paidgeek the Sony insider, Sony is not going to do what Toshiba has done and screw other CE companies within the BDA by undercutting their players. If the PS3 get DtsMA, then pioneer, panasonic, and other CE players that have players that can do it, but are more expensive, will be undercut. It is going to happen though, he confirmed that, but they want to wait until more players closer to the PS3 price are out there.

Yeah I've read this. Makes sense. I only have 4 DTSMA titles, so I'll live. Looks like iRobot is gonna have to be in DTS 1.5 :( .

So this is what it's come to....complaining about a full bitrate DTS track. How sad. :lol: :lol:

BTW, I'm curious about a PS3 with B/C. I think there's a rumor of something coming out. I plan to get a 2nd one but I want the exact features of the 60g model. Got any info??

GMichael
03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
The upgrade last week was to add system stability.

I'll take all the updates I can get. You gotta love the support :thumbsup:

So you finally got connected to the network. Are you doing wireless?

Yeah, I went with a cat6 for a little while but found out that I liked it too much to only use it now and then. So now I went wireless. Using a "super G". It's not as fast as that cable, but it gets the job done. I filled up over 50GB with free downloads.

L.J.
03-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm teetering on the edge...

Aww...poor baby don't wanna waste the HD decoding abilities of his shiny new 3800 :ciappa:

L.J.
03-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I went with a cat6 for a little while but found out that I liked it too much to only use it now and then. So now I went wireless. Using a "super G". It's not as fast as that cable, but it gets the job done. I filled up over 50GB with free downloads.

External HD can plug right into a USB port :cornut:

I plan on putting a internal drive in mine eventually. I stream from a 500g I have in another room though. You gotta love it.

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Good thing it only cost me a little over $1K huh? :p

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah I've read this. Makes sense. I only have 4 DTSMA titles, so I'll live. Looks like iRobot is gonna have to be in DTS 1.5 :( .

So this is what it's come to....complaining about a full bitrate DTS track. How sad. :lol: :lol:

BTW, I'm curious about a PS3 with B/C. I think there's a rumor of something coming out. I plan to get a 2nd one but I want the exact features of the 60g model. Got any info??

Let me tell you this, IRobot at 1.5mbps is no slouch let me tell ya. That is one powerful soundtrack, even played back with a lossy codec.