Need suggestions for a Porcupine Tree comp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a Porcupine Tree comp

Finch Platte
03-20-2008, 08:06 AM
A fellow over on another board has just learned about PT, and I offered to make him a "best" of. Some old, more new.

Make my life easier & recommend some stuff.

Thanks!

fp

3-LockBox
03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I've made several PT comps myself over the years. Thing is, I make these comps and then I really start missing the albums. Since Wilson did such an excellent job of mixing and sequencing, all their albums have a great flow to them.

I gave my nephew a comp of their more mainstream sounding stuff a couple of years ago. Here's what it looked like (from memory):

Signify (w/ intro)
Shallow
Blackest Eyes
Sever
Even Less
Dislocated Day
Lightbulb Sun
Piano Lessons
Halo
Shesmovedon (from Lightbulb Sun)
Last Chance To Evacuate Earth
Waiting (Insignificance version)
Trains
Fadeaway

I did some fades and segues so that it would flow nicely; for example, Even Less flows very well into Dislocated Day, if you have a good editor that is. It all fits onto an 80 minute CD-R w/ no severe editing.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Stone
03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Stop now, before it's too late for him.

Finch Platte
03-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Stop now, before it's too late for him.

You mind making a list of music that it's ok to listen to?

TIA.

fp

ForeverAutumn
03-21-2008, 11:26 AM
I like 3LBs list but make it a 2-CD set so that you can include.

Gravity Eyelids
The Sound of Musak
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
Anesthetize

3-LockBox
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I tend to avoid 2-disc comps for noobies because of information overload.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

ForeverAutumn
03-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I tend to avoid 2-disc comps for noobies because of information overload

Alright, fine. But at the very least, The Sound of Muzak should be on there.

And what the hell are you doing to your posts? Every time I quote you I have to delete a bunch of gobbly-gook.

thereyet
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I never liked mixes or greatest hits of anyone. But if you must...I 2nd Sound of Muzak.

Also...

Shallow
Sentimental
Trains

Ah hell, I like 3LBs whole list!

thereyet

3-LockBox
03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">FINE! Use Sound Of Muzak. I'd remove Last Chance to Evacuate Earth, but then I'd use the single version of Shesmovedon from Deadwing, cuz its already edited.

I don't why the screwy post thing is happening either. Its happening on my end as well, but then again my kids are usuing the computer more and more and all kinds of funny sh!t are going on now. I need a real computer person to look at it.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

Duds
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Gotta have Radioactive Toy on there

3-LockBox
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">One could make a two-disc comp with PT's more accessible modern stuff on one disc and their proggier, spacerock stuff of the other, but then there's the information overload thing. But an introductory comp should leave a listener wanting more...</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">