Best home theater system between $2000-$2500?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best home theater system between $2000-$2500??

jb5150
03-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's the deal, my brother would like to have a home theater system to go with his Bravia xbr4 52" set and ps3. The room is quite large and is adjacent to the kitchen - basically it's all one big room (it's a townhouse). Obviously he wont get the greatest sound in such a large space with poorly insulated walls. Anyway, he was partial to Bose but I told him that for the money he could probably find something much better than the compressed-like sound Bose has to offer.

I was thinking a lower-end Onkyo or Denon receiver (any models come to mind please feel free to share) and a set of 5, or 7 boston acoustics ( no model comes to mind at the moment) or do you think Polk would be a better way to to, or something entirely different?

I do get Sony audio products for 30-40% off but I know how bad sony speakers can be. Should he just go for a Sony all-in-one type deal or would he be better off going with individual components?

Obviously sound quality is subjective, to some degree anyway. What do you think would be the best bang for his buck for his budget?

bobsticks
03-20-2008, 01:40 AM
What do you think would be the best bang for his buck for his budget?

What is his budget?

blackraven
03-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Don't buy a HT in a box like bose. Here's a few recommendations among many choices available. I prefer NHT and B&W speakers. Too very different sounding speakers. NHT's warmer sounding and B&W's brighter and very accurate.

For a receiver, I like the onkyo 605 or 705. For speakers recommend the NHT Classic Two's or Three's as front channel with the NHT Zeros as the 2 rear and one of the NHT centers that fits your budget. For a sub I'd go with a 10" from Velodyne, Outlaw audio, HSU or even NHT if you decide to go with NHT's. The NHT Two's-$475pr., Three's -$650pr, Zeros-$250pr.

With B&W's look at the 685's for front and the 686's for rear speakers and an LCR600 center.

I prefer the sound of the NHT's, very warm sounding speaker with excellent bass and a very large sound for a book shelf speaker.

Other speakers to consider are PSB's, Paradigm.

Building your own system will sound much better than HT in a box.

GMichael
03-20-2008, 06:18 AM
What is his budget?

$2k to $2.5k.

Many choices to look at. The Onkyo AVR's seem to be giving the best bang for the buck these days. But what kind of speakers are you looking for? Does he need small, or can he use floor standers? Is this going to be used for all HT or some music as well. Do you know the size of the main room? Would you/he like multi-zone possibilities? Do you/he prefer any colors, wood grain, or just black speakers?

Take a peak through these sites just to get an idea of styles you/he may like. (any of these would blow any Bose system out of the water as far as quality sound) http://www.axiomaudio.com/?utm_source=1171&utm_medium=b&utm_campaign=728x90b
Also try http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

These are by far only a tiny glimpse of what's available. These are just to give us an idea of what you like.
As far as a receiver. I'd make sure that it has HDMI connections and the newer HD sound fields.
Make sure you get a good sub. Here's a link to a few good bang for the buck subs. Don't worry about them needing assembly. A monkey with a screw driver could finish these kits easily.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=29&ObjectGroup_ID=536

L.J.
03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Throw a bulk of your money toward the speakers.

No need for newer AVR since your gonna be using a PS3 (it decodes the new audio formats and outputs the signal over HDMI v1.1 or up), I'm assuming for BR playback. Something like a Yamaha 661 from Best Buy will do fine. Doesn't have the latest HD audio decoding but it does have preouts.

If you go with the Onkyo, I would suggest the 705, which has preouts. It offers some more flexibility that may be useful down the road.

jb5150
03-20-2008, 07:44 AM
well for receivers I was thinking Sony ES as my father got one many years ago and it is amazing. It certainly blew the marantz, yamaha, nak and pioneer models out of the water.I'm not famliar with the latest ES line, however. Maybe this is overkill for a townhouse but this is what I was looking at receiver-wise

Sony's ES Series Home Theatre A/V Receiver (7.1 channel)
STRDA3300ES
http://www.sonystyle.ca/common/images/products/STRDA3300ES_lg.jpg

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1004077&navigationPath=n45940n32100n46020

bobsticks
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
$2k to $2.5k.

Yeah, I guess I could have read that. Cut and paste Blackie's response here.

jb5150
03-20-2008, 03:34 PM
for $2000 what paradigm speakers could I afford?

bobsticks
03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
for $2000 what paradigm speakers could I afford?

I haven't priced Paradigm in a hot minute but I suspect that you'd be pressed to complete a full 5.1 system with the Monitor series for 2k. Again, I'm not sure about the real street value currently so if I'm wrong someone chime in.

jb5150
03-20-2008, 04:19 PM
should I opt for a different amp.receiver then?? It's just that the sony is rated so highly and I can get it at around 30% off ( I know sony distributor - it's legit)

Ajani
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
My choice would be a cheap Sony (since you can get a discount)/Denon/Marantz/Yamaha Receiver and either Monito Audio Bronze or PSB Alpha speakers....

codecougar
03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
If your brother is "partial to Bose", I think it's safe to assume he doesn't know much about home audio.

I think you have a good idea going with a Onkyo receiver at around the $400-$500 mark. Something like this for $400 (as already recommended):

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=10420&i=580TXS605B&search=Onkyo+VENDORID580&searchdisplay=Onkyo&tp=179

Then spend the rest of the cash on a full 7.1 set up. Polk sucks (IMO). Just horrible. Infinity speakers still are the best bang for the buck IMO. B&W and Paradigm are a step up. Keep in mind that buying 7 or even 5 good speakers and a decent sub gets pricey. If the room is big and open, I would recommend a large center channel and floorstanding fronts if possible.

The Sony ES is nice, but even with your discount, it is still going to be much more than the Onkyo and I'm not sure your brother is going to hear much of a difference. Make sure you can afford all the speakers first.

But yeah, definitely avoid speakers from Bose, Polk, or Sony.

frenchmon
03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Here's the deal, my brother would like to have a home theater system to go with his Bravia xbr4 52" set and ps3. The room is quite large and is adjacent to the kitchen - basically it's all one big room (it's a townhouse). Obviously he wont get the greatest sound in such a large space with poorly insulated walls. Anyway, he was partial to Bose but I told him that for the money he could probably find something much better than the compressed-like sound Bose has to offer.

I was thinking a lower-end Onkyo or Denon receiver (any models come to mind please feel free to share) and a set of 5, or 7 boston acoustics ( no model comes to mind at the moment) or do you think Polk would be a better way to to, or something entirely different?

I do get Sony audio products for 30-40% off but I know how bad sony speakers can be. Should he just go for a Sony all-in-one type deal or would he be better off going with individual components?

Obviously sound quality is subjective, to some degree anyway. What do you think would be the best bang for his buck for his budget?

For your budget you should be able to get all you need from here...including speakers.

http://www.accessories4less.com/

frenchmon

jb5150
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
OOok my brother just dropped the budget down to $1500 - a bit more constrained are we.

So scrap the Sony ES receiver. Should i go for an onkyo receiver and what for speakers (size is a bit of an issue)?

are these infintiy speakers a good deal? http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10086745&catid=20323&logon=&langid=EN#

blackraven
03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Go with an infinity beta system while they are still available. Infinity beta 20's for front's and the Beta 10's or beta 20's for rear channel and a beta center channel and a Mirage S8 sub. www.crutchfield.com

Or consider a PSB system PSB Image 25's for front , PSB Alpha B's as rear's.

codecougar
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
OOok my brother just dropped the budget down to $1500 - a bit more constrained are we.

So scrap the Sony ES receiver. Should i go for an onkyo receiver and what for speakers (size is a bit of an issue)?

are these infintiy speakers a good deal? http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10086745&catid=20323&logon=&langid=EN#

Yes, get the Onkyo.

I never heard that Infinity set up. In general I would avoid buying an "all in one" package. I agree with blackraven on the Infinity Beta series. That's what I use and they kick butt:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=beta+20&i=108BT20B

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=beta&i=108BTC250B

You can get 4 Beta 20's for $500 ($125 per speaker) and then a C250 center channel for another $130. Then buy the Onkyo TX-SR605 for $400. You are now at $1,030 and you can spend the rest on a nice subwoofer, but you may also need speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers so keep that in mind.

jb5150
03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
i'd rather get the stuff locally but i dont know where in Vancouver (canada) to purchase onkyo

blackraven
03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
go to the onkyo web site and do a search for dealers in canada.

f0rge
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
onkyo is hard to find in canada at any resonably priced retailer, i looked in the GTA area anyway...

if you're looking at paradigm, the mini monitors would be great fronts, the atoms are would make great rears, add a cc-190 center and a sub from the above listed links. this would be a pretty killer system that would decimate HTIB

mini's retail for $500cad, look to pay closer to $400
atoms are $280 retail, knock at least $50 off
the cc-190's price escapes my memory at this point in time, but i think it's around $250

that should still leave you about $200 for a sub and $400 for a receiver

blackraven
03-24-2008, 01:19 PM
If you cant find an onkyo at a decent price, then go with a Yamaha or Denon. They will all do the job. At the price range you are looking at they are all pretty much the same.

f0rge
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
i should have mentionned in my above post that those prices are canadian

jb5150
04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
What do you guys think of this bestbuy.ca deal I found?

Klipsch synergy f1 2 way floorstanding tower speakers, S1 2 way bookshelf speakers, 10" powdered woofer (synergy sub-10), and 2-way Center channel (Synergy C1)

for $1000? Would this be a good purchase with let's say a denon or yamaha amp?

Luvin Da Blues
04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
i'd rather get the stuff locally but i dont know where in Vancouver (canada) to purchase onkyo

A&B Sound carries Onkyo. I'm sure FutureShop does as well.

Cheers,

LDB

blackraven
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not a fan of Klipsch, way too bright for my tastes but alot of people like them. I'd go with a set of infinity Beta 20's for front channel and beta 10's or 20's as rear along with a beta center channel C250 for $129 and a $250 sub.

Also consider the infinity Primus 162's which were a stereophile magazine recommended budget speaker for $99 each as front speaks and the 152's (which were stereophile recommended the year befroe as well) as rear for $89 each. And the PC250 center for $159. The grills are ugly on the newer models but you can take them off or get them in all black. I bought last years 160's for my daughter and they are a great sounding budget speaker.

www.crutchfield.com carries the infinity's.

dada
04-08-2008, 01:35 AM
The denon 1907 check it out at dakmart.com great avr,authorized dealers. the sub is very important,i also have a big room and the NHT classic 10 or 12 does a grat job .I also love the NHT speakers,you can usually get good deals on ebay good luck

BadAssJazz
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
The denon 1907 check it out at dakmart.com great avr,authorized dealers. the sub is very important,i also have a big room and the NHT classic 10 or 12 does a grat job .I also love the NHT speakers,you can usually get good deals on ebay good luck

I thought DakMart specialized in refurbished units? I suppose that isn't a bad way to go if you don't want to pay new prices, and used equipment is not your thing.

I've been hearing good things about NHT ("now hear this") for years. Probably not a bad way to go.