$249 Bluray players in Walmart after the summer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $249 Bluray players in Walmart after the summer?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Yes, that is right. Funai is preparing bluray players to be sold at Walmart under the Sylvania/Emerson brand name. There is no official announcement as of yet, but I have very good word from a very trusted source that it is definately going to happen. So don't worry about bluray player prices, they are falling like they should, not being pushed down by subsidization.

Stay tuned to your audioreview network.....

L.J.
03-19-2008, 08:10 AM
OK Mr. Smartypants.....when will we start to see new releases drop to about $19.99. I Am Legend went for $18.95 at Amazon. Is that trend gonna continue?

03-19-2008, 08:27 AM
OK Mr. Smartypants.....when will we start to see new releases drop to about $19.99. I Am Legend went for $18.95 at Amazon. Is that trend gonna continue?

Well brainyshirt, I know Sony and Disney are going to get more aggressive with its pricing structure. Fox, it going to take a while. Warner will follow suit with Disney and Sony. We will have to see about Universal come this summer, and Paramount is having some issues right now. According to my friends and sources there, all information on bluray is on lockdown. I may have to call my former boss there and get some information. Maybe a BBQ would do the trick.

I do not think your are going to see an instant major price drop, but they will go down gradually leading up to the holiday season.

GMichael
03-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks to Brainyshirt and Smartypants. Good news all around. But what does any of this have to do with tweeters needing more power?:idea:

03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks to Brainyshirt and Smartypants. Good news all around. But what does any of this have to do with tweeters needing more power?:idea:

Well, those damn things have to move 12,000 times a second, that must require more than a woofer that only moves 12 times a second..:out::crazy:

Rich-n-Texas
03-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Smartypants and Brainyshirt. Good Lord. :rolleyes:

This IS good news. Fits my timeframe just fine. Although I'm kinda getting the PS3 bug.:idea:

GMichael
03-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, those damn things have to move 12,000 times a second, that must require more than a woofer that only moves 12 times a second..:out::crazy:

Seems logical. And the fact is, 12,000 is a higher number than 12.:14:

Rich-n-Texas
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Can we PLEASE keep just one thread on topic around here?!?!?!

:ihih:

03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Can we PLEASE keep just one thread on topic around here?!?!?!

:ihih:

Okay.....no need to get huffy puffy stuffy!

L.J.
03-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Wonder if these players are gonna fully loaded. Full audio decoding, 5.1 analog output....I don't care much about extras so I could care less about profiles, but ethernet connection would be nice for updates I guess. Bah...screw it, I'm gonna get another PS3!

03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Wonder if these players are gonna fully loaded. Full audio decoding, 5.1 analog output....I don't care much about extras so I could care less about profiles, but ethernet connection would be nice for updates I guess. Bah...screw it, I'm gonna get another PS3!

Actually brainyshirt these will be profile 1.1 players. I do not have any additional details other than that.

Woochifer
03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Weren't the first Funai players originally supposed to have come out last summer? I recall reading the rumors about them coming in around $500, but then Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, et al began dropping their standalones to $600 and then $500. Interesting news though if the Funai players came in at $250 after the summer. This would put them right on target for $200 by the holiday shopping season.

03-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Weren't the first Funai players originally supposed to have come out last summer? I recall reading the rumors about them coming in around $500, but then Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, et al began dropping their standalones to $600 and then $500. Interesting news though if the Funai players came in at $250 after the summer. This would put them right on target for $200 by the holiday shopping season.

I think they were having trouble getting their liscenses together. The way the BDA is dealing with the cheats from China, is that they are not allowing any parts to be released to unliscensed manufacturers. Once the player is designed, it must be approved by the BDA before it can be sold with the name bluray on it. Suppliers who sell parts to unliscensed manufacturers loose their liscense as well. Even those low priced chinese players that will be in the pipeline will have to undergo a strict inspection, and can only use parts from liscensed suppliers. I think they have learned this go around.

Groundbeef
03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Seems logical. And the fact is, 12,000 is a higher number than 12.:14:

I always thought you were smarter than the average bear. Check this out:

12is BIGGER than 12,000. Go figure that out math whiz. Now where is Pixel. I gots some math homework that needs checkin'.

GMichael
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I always thought you were smarter than the average bear. Check this out:

12is BIGGER than 12,000. Go figure that out math whiz. Now where is Pixel. I gots some math homework that needs checkin'.

I said HIGHER not BIGGER you goon.:ciappa:

Groundbeef
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I said HIGHER not BIGGER you goon.:ciappa:

There you go smartypants. Now my 12 is higher than 12,000. Geesh, you ain't so smart afterall! :ciappa:

GMichael
03-19-2008, 01:15 PM

There you go smartypants. Now my 12 is higher than 12,000. Geesh, you ain't so smart afterall! :ciappa:

I'm not Smartypants.:hand: Sir T is Smartypants. :3: Can't you read?:yikes:

pixelthis
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Actually brainyshirt these will be profile 1.1 players. I do not have any additional details other than that.

the ONLY details you have are what you read in the newspaper.

And the Chinese are a LOT smarter than you and your monopolistic bunch (isnt everybody)

ONE TRIP OVER TO BUY A CRATE of Blu players and they'll be churning them out like sausages, 99 bucks each, they have as much respect for property rights as human rights,
ZERO, which matches you I.Q BTW

In spite of your feble protestations to the contrary, a Blu is just a souped up DVD player
with a few more chips and a blue laser.
And they can keep off a bunch of the junk you guys saddled your players with
(JAVA?, A ZILLION SOUND FORMATS?) Get real.
Next Christmas you'll be able to get a player for 150 bucks 07 US
(five million US after the collapse of the dollar):1:

pixelthis
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm not Smartypants.:hand: Sir T is Smartypants. :3: Can't you read?:yikes:

You infuse EVERY thread with your ignorant hippie burnout nonsense.
GO listen to DSOTM again.
AND my guess is that NONE of you is wearing pants:1:

Groundbeef
03-20-2008, 06:17 AM
You infuse EVERY thread with your ignorant hippie burnout nonsense.
GO listen to DSOTM again.
AND my guess is that NONE of you is wearing pants:1:

If you want to sit around drinking beer in the middle of the night fantisizing about us talkin' audio without pants on, have at it. Seems a little creepy, but to each his own right?

GMichael
03-20-2008, 06:44 AM
If you want to sit around drinking beer in the middle of the night fantisizing about us talkin' audio without pants on, have at it. Seems a little creepy, but to each his own right?

And he calls me the hippie?:incazzato:
I was more of a biker dude.:idea:

Groundbeef
03-20-2008, 07:29 AM
And he calls me the hippie?:incazzato:
I was more of a biker dude.:idea:

Schwinn or Huffy?

GMichael
03-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Schwinn or Huffy?

Harley
Rupp
Harley
Yamaha
Harley
Honda
Harley
Kawasaki
Harley
Suzuki
and of coarse, Harley.

But I am feeling a little Huffy today.

03-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Schwinn or Huffy?

LOLOL...I was thinking training wheel myself.

GMichael
03-20-2008, 08:31 AM
LOLOL...I was thinking training wheel myself.

I'll take my training wheels off and slap you with them son.

03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
I'll take my training wheel off and slap you with them son.

I would prefer a gilfite fish myself, less pain, and leaves fewer scars, and you can eat it after its done its damage.

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I would prefer a gilfite fish myself, less pain, and leaves fewer scars, and you can eat it after its done its damage.
Okay. So now we know he's Jewish with a bald head. It's becoming clearer to me now who I'll need to stay away from at GM's 8000 post party. :biggrin5:

GMichael
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Okay. So now we know he's Jewish with a bald head. It's becoming clearer to me now who I'll need to stay away from at GM's 8000 post party. :biggrin5:

Make that, hispanic, Jewish and bald. (I think I've seen him in a few movies as a cop) May as well throw in as many generalizations as possible.:17:

Sir T, I'll pass on the fish thanks. No telling where that thing has been.

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Make that, hispanic, Jewish and bald. (I think I've seen him in a few movies as a cop) May as well throw in as many generalizations as possible.:17:

Sir T, I'll pass on the fish thanks. No telling where that thing has been.
Not trying to slight anyone's religious persuasion GM. :)

GMichael
03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Not trying to slight anyone's religious persuasion GM. :)

I didn't think you were. I was just trying to be as obnoxious as possible. How'd I do?

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't think you were. I was just trying to be as obnoxious as possible. How'd I do?
You've got a ways to go before you're into my ballpark. :thumbsup:

03-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Well I think you both of you gentiles are meshugena and gornisht helfn. Not to mention Loco en la cabeza. And I say all of this with a freshly shined scull cap!! So that just about covers it.

Rich-n-Texas
03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
The loco part I understand. The rest of it... :crazy:

GMichael
03-24-2008, 06:18 AM
The loco part I understand. The rest of it... :crazy:

Just more of the same. My mom would have said, patso. My wife still calls me boung (sp, sounds like boo-ung). All the same thing.:arf: :arf: :arf:

pixelthis
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Just more of the same. My mom would have said, patso. My wife still calls me boung (sp, sounds like boo-ung). All the same thing.:arf: :arf: :arf:

SHE CALLS ME BETTER:1: