Differences Between North American & European Reviews [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between North American & European Reviews

Ajani
03-18-2008, 07:09 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed disparities between North American & European Reviews for some products....

Offhand I can think of two brands that seem to be received very differently in North America and Europe: Marantz & NAD....

Case in point the NAD C372 (150 Watt per channel integrated amp) - if you check the NAD website all the reviews for this amp are from the US and Canada... Stereophile rated it as Class B, The Absolute Sound and Soundstage both loved it... yet if I remember correctly it was trashed by What Hifi? when it came out & given only an average rating by HiFi Choice more recently... The North American reviews seemed to love it's power capabilities while the Europeans thought that there were far better performing (though less powerful) amps available at its price.... The Europeans have heaped praises on NAD's cheaper and lower powered amps....

Case 2 - Marantz Integrated Amps... Where are the reviews for the PM7001 or any of the Reference series in North America? I see 5 star What HiFi? reviews, EISA awards & Excellent HiFi Choice reviews for Marantz amps in Europe, but I can't even find a review for any of their amps in North America... What makes it even stranger is the fact that their CD players are raved about so highly in N.A. Stereophile has had their SA8260 & now SA8001 as Class A for about 6 years now and the Absolute Sound has picked their most expensive players the SA7S1 & the SA11S1 in their Editor's choice awards for 2007. So why haven't these same magazines reviewed their amps?

JohnMichael
03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I find it interesting that British magazines can rate the same equipment so differently. One may rave, another might think it is okay for the money and the last not recommended it. I think we all have different sonic priorities.

I have not heard a NAD component in too long a time to comment. I have also not heard the Marantz integrated amps but love the SA8001. I think they have a way with cd players. The CD5001 is a great budget player which I also own. I think the cd players draw a lot of attention and that may be why the int. amps are overlooked. There are integrated amps such as the Onkyo A-9555 which drew press for being a Class D design and sounds better than it's budget price might indicate. I think that novelty drew attention from some products that are good such as the Marantz int. amp. I think budget equipment is easily overlooked without some novel feature or like NAD a strong history of value for the dollar.

Woochifer
03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
The fundamental difference between the British and American magazines is that the British magazines will typically rate anywhere from 80 to almost 200 products in each issue, where U.S. magazines rarely review more than 20 products per issue. British magazines are also a lot more open to mixing mass market products with higher end products, and throwing home theater and two-channel product reviews into the same issue.

The U.S. magazines typically have a preconceived audience in mind -- Stereophile and TAS review audio-only, and leave the home theater reviews to separate sister publications that might use the same reviewers. And Sound & Vision is the magazine that rates mass market products, while Stereophile is less apt to including mass market products.

In addition, the U.S. magazine reviews are typically lengthier, where the reviewer will spend a long time with a product at home before publishing the review. British magazines typically cull together a review panel and they will do a comparison review of several products at the same time. Hi-Fi Choice I believe conducts these listening tests under blind conditions.

Differences in editorial policy will also vary depending on the magazine. I've noticed that What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice tend to have very different opinions frequently.

Ajani
03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
The fundamental difference between the British and American magazines is that the British magazines will typically rate anywhere from 80 to almost 200 products in each issue, where U.S. magazines rarely review more than 20 products per issue. British magazines are also a lot more open to mixing mass market products with higher end products, and throwing home theater and two-channel product reviews into the same issue.

The U.S. magazines typically have a preconceived audience in mind -- Stereophile and TAS review audio-only, and leave the home theater reviews to separate sister publications that might use the same reviewers. And Sound & Vision is the magazine that rates mass market products, while Stereophile is less apt to including mass market products.

In addition, the U.S. magazine reviews are typically lengthier, where the reviewer will spend a long time with a product at home before publishing the review. British magazines typically cull together a review panel and they will do a comparison review of several products at the same time. Hi-Fi Choice I believe conducts these listening tests under blind conditions.

Differences in editorial policy will also vary depending on the magazine. I've noticed that What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice tend to have very different opinions frequently.

To add to your points:

British Mags tend to give scores i.e. 5 stars, 91% etc... while American mags just give long narratives....

Ajani
03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I find it interesting that British magazines can rate the same equipment so differently. One may rave, another might think it is okay for the money and the last not recommended it. I think we all have different sonic priorities.

That's a good point, I can think of two products with very different reviews in HiFi Choice and What HiFi?

Monitor Audio RS6 were raved about and made speaker of the year back in 05 by What HiFi but were not recommended in their HiFi Choice review (interestingly enough, HiFi Choice later recommended the RS8).

Cambridge Audio 840A version 1 - Raved about by HiFi Choice but only given 3 stars by What HiFi?

I have not heard a NAD component in too long a time to comment. I have also not heard the Marantz integrated amps but love the SA8001. I think they have a way with cd players. The CD5001 is a great budget player which I also own. I think the cd players draw a lot of attention and that may be why the int. amps are overlooked. There are integrated amps such as the Onkyo A-9555 which drew press for being a Class D design and sounds better than it's budget price might indicate. I think that novelty drew attention from some products that are good such as the Marantz int. amp. I think budget equipment is easily overlooked without some novel feature or like NAD a strong history of value for the dollar.

I can understand Marantz amps being overshadowed by their CD players, but even so I'm really suprised that I can't find even one review.... I thought manufacturers tended to send matching components to be reviewed together (well I see a lot of that in the British reviews anyway)...

Feanor
03-19-2008, 02:58 AM

The panel/consensus approach of the Brit mags is commendable although the time with a given component must necessarily be very short. 'Phile and TAS articles themselves are long on account of being heavily padded with personal reminiscences and anecdotes on the one hand, and impressions of the sound particular recordings that are difficult to relate to unless you own the actual album. I would appreciate more succinct and to-the-point articles. Personally, if I wanted a literary experience I would look elsewhere than audiophile magazines.

Rich-n-Texas
03-19-2008, 04:29 AM
I'll bet ya $10.00 that Def Tech has never gotten a bad review in S&V mag. Their advertisement for those plastic looking tower speakers have appeared on the inside cover and page five for at least the past five issues. Prime real estate for which they probably pay big bucks to S&V for. Would the S&V editors EVER say anything negative about those two models? Not likely.

One greedy hand washes the other greedy hand. :rolleyes:

hermanv
03-19-2008, 07:33 AM
I have read that one reason the equipment reviews are different is because of housing issues. British and European houses tend to be smaller than those in the USA. The smaller rooms will cause a difference in how amplifiers are rated due to fewer watts being needed for a given loudness. This also causes speakers marketed in Europe to be smaller and probably more efficient overall, leading to yet another form of review bias.

Many American audiophiles would consider a 25 watt solid state amplifier as too small , but the European reviewers color their tastes to some extent for their audience. Since we in the US are less likely to consider a 25 watt amp as adequate, our perspective is somewhat different and few amplifiers with those kind of power ratings get US reviews.

I realize that some American audiophiles just love their 5 watt SET, but in spite of that love affair, flea power SET has never become mainstream.

So it would seem that the reviews end up with different conclusions because the listening environment is different.

Ajani
03-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I have read that one reason the equipment reviews are different is because of housing issues. British and European houses tend to be smaller than those in the USA. The smaller rooms will cause a difference in how amplifiers are rated due to fewer watts being needed for a given loudness. This also causes speakers marketed in Europe to be smaller and probably more efficient overall, leading to yet another form of review bias.

Many American audiophiles would consider a 25 watt solid state amplifier as too small , but the European reviewers color their tastes to some extent for their audience. Since we in the US are less likely to consider a 25 watt amp as adequate, our perspective is somewhat different and few amplifiers with those kind of power ratings get US reviews.

I realize that some American audiophiles just love their 5 watt SET, but in spite of that love affair, flea power SET has never become mainstream.

So it would seem that the reviews end up with different conclusions because the listening environment is different.

Good points.... I suspect that the differences are due to what you described... essentially just differences in tastes....which are at least partially due to the average size of living spaces in which music is played...

I do find it interesting that you say that "the European reviewers color their tastes to some extent for their audience" and not that American reviewers color their tastes.... :idea:

blackraven
03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Ajani]That's a good point, I can think of two products with very different reviews in HiFi Choice and What HiFi?

Monitor Audio RS6 were raved about and made speaker of the year back in 05 by What HiFi but were not recommended in their HiFi Choice review (interestingly enough, HiFi Choice later recommended the RS8).

Cambridge Audio 840A version 1 - Raved about by HiFi Choice but only given 3 stars by What HiFi?

This just shows how every one has different likes and dislikes. What sounds good to one persons ears may not sound as good to another. Thats what makes trusting reviews difficult. I personally like the review panel method of reviewing a product and comparing it with other brands.

GMichael
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Maybe the grass is just greener on the other side. Here in the USA a Corvette is just another Chevy. In Japan it's one of the highest levels of prestige to own one.

Rich-n-Texas
03-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe the grass is just greener on the other side. Here in the USA a Corvette is just another Chevy. In Japan it's one of the highest levels of prestige to own one.
I'm going to come up there and SMACK you!!!

GMichael
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm going to come up there and SMACK you!!!

You know what I mean.

hermanv
03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I do find it interesting that you say that "the European reviewers color their tastes to some extent for their audience" and not that American reviewers color their tastes.... :idea:Just bad semantics, everyone colors their opinions based on their own perceptions. Except maybe Corvette owners. :smilewinkgrin:

Ajani
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
This just shows how every one has different likes and dislikes. What sounds good to one persons ears may not sound as good to another. Thats what makes trusting reviews difficult. I personally like the review panel method of reviewing a product and comparing it with other brands.

I actually really like HiFi Choice's panel review approach, especially the DBT part... the only thing I wish the European mags would do more consistently is to state what 'associated equipment' was used in the testing...

It's great to know that a panel of reviewers like a particular amp over 5 other amps, in a DBT group test... but I really want to know what Speakers and CD player were used in the testing.... since I'm a strong believer in system synergy...

Also, I tend to read both professional reviews (for sound quality) and user reviews (for reliabilty - no point buying a great sounding product that will turn to junk in 3 weeks)... Reviews help me to identify hot products that I really should audition before spending my money on anything else... however, no-one should use reviews as the sole reason for making a purchase.... That will almost inevitably lead to disatisfaction.

Ajani
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I'll bet ya $10.00 that Def Tech has never gotten a bad review in S&V mag. Their advertisement for those plastic looking tower speakers have appeared on the inside cover and page five for at least the past five issues. Prime real estate for which they probably pay big bucks to S&V for. Would the S&V editors EVER say anything negative about those two models? Not likely.

One greedy hand washes the other greedy hand. :rolleyes:

Maybe.... though I think sometimes we assume that products get great reviews because of advertising when it may actually be the other way around....

For example - after the Monitor Audio RS6 got a massive @$$kissing from Stereophile, ads went up on Stereophile's website (and are still up) quoting Rob Reina's review of the RS6.... Yes it is possible that it was a case of pat my back and I'll pat yours, but it could also just be good marketing by Monitor Audio...

If I produced a product and a review magazine loved it, I'd make sure to advertise as much as possible in that magazine and quote the review in every ad... just in case a reader might have missed the actual issue... On the other hand, If a magazine bashed my product, then there is no way in hell that I'd waste money advertising in their mag... so it may just be a case of companies advertising in mags that generally like their products and not that companies pay mags to write good reviews....

Rave reviews don't necessarily mean pay offs.... just consider how many of our forum members are die-hard supporters of particular brands (Apogee, PSB, McIntosh, Dynaudio & Magnepan come to mind).... I doubt that any of these members get kickbacks from their favourite brands for constantly doing 'free advertising' for them... So I suspect professional reviewers are the same.... they fall in love with particular brands and never stop raving about them....

Ajani
03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Another Difference that I remembered today is that European mags are more willing to trash a product... I can think of so many absolutely nasty reviews in British mags for products by major brands (even when they've praised other products in that manufacturer's line)... I really can't remember the last time I read a really bad review of a product in Stereophile or The Absolute Sound.

pixelthis
03-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't read magazines for HI-FI not intended for the American market and am puzzled as to why they sell them over here.
Not being zenophobic but conditions and tastes and expectations tend to be different in
certain areas of this country alone, you know its going to be apples and oranges in another country.
SO A "REVIEW" from what hi-fi or another mag from "over the pond" is generally
going to be , like GM and RICH, pretty much useless.

BTW rich do you go around "smackin" on guys much?:1:

Feanor
03-31-2008, 03:04 AM
I don't read magazines for HI-FI not intended for the American market and am puzzled as to why they sell them over here.

Not being zenophobic but conditions and tastes and expectations tend to be different in certain areas of this country alone, you know its going to be apples and oranges in another country.[emphasis added]

SO A "REVIEW" from what hi-fi or another mag from "over the pond" is generally going to be , like GM and RICH, pretty much useless.

Different, yes. But this is exactly why some of us like to read these mags occassionally -- a fresh perspective. I guess that's an "alien" notion to you, Pixel.

Ajani
03-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Different, yes. But this is exactly why some of us like to read these mag soccassionally -- a fresh perspective. I guess that's an "alien" notion to you, Pixel.

Agreed... Shocking as it might seem to Pix and many others, you can learn things from other cultures... even in relation to our audio hobby.....

E-Stat
03-31-2008, 04:59 AM
...but conditions and tastes and expectations tend to be different in
certain areas of this country alone, you know its going to be apples and oranges in another country.
Sounds like a good reason to get a wide range of opinions to me.

rw

GMichael
03-31-2008, 07:39 AM
Not being zenophobic but conditions and tastes and expectations tend to be different in
SO A "REVIEW" from what hi-fi or another mag from "over the pond" is generally
going to be , like GM and RICH, pretty much useless.

BTW rich do you go around "smackin" on guys much?:1:

I don't do a whole lot of reviewing. But the few I have done have been accurate and good reads.
Didn't see much wrong with Rich's review either. He put down what he knew, and made no attempt to act like he knew about things he didn't. Maybe you could take note of that and follow his shining example.

Rich-n-Texas
03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
I tend to think the "real world" reviews that I encounter on sites like Amazon, here, and other places pertinent to stuff I purchase are a better, less externally influenced read.

Yes, I fall into the "great unwashed" category and I only speak to what I have experienced myself.

BTW, what does he mean by "smackin"? Is that more hillbilly speak?

O'Shag
03-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Ajani, did you get Monitor Audio's yet?

Please take this under serious consideration. A used pair of Gold Reference 60s are just about the best speaker-bargain in high-end audio. Period. I've listened to many high-end speakers over the years, I am fortunate to own one of the greatest speakers ever made. I can tell you categorically that the Gold Reference 60 is a giant killer, and that is no hype. First off, you've got fantastic ceramic coated magnesium drivers C-CAM, the surface of which is fashioned (very cleverly) like a golf ball to aid in dispersion (golf balls are dimpled to help them travel further with less resistance). I can't think of any other manufacturer doing this, so I'm guessing MA have this under patent in some way. Secondly, you have that marvellous and unusual copper/gold dome tweeter that is easily a match for many a high-end titanium tweeter. You get drivers that are all constructed in exactly the same fashion (except the tweeter). As far as sound, you get ultra fast, ultra clear, see-thru transparency given their price. You get seemless coherence (close your eyes and this speaker sounds like an electrostatic with cajones). You get prodigious bass for a speaker of this size - the bass that really counts by the way - the mid-bass that is, which is warm, rich, full, and fast. No it will not have the bottom end of a heavyweight, but it is very good all the same. With a good tube amp, these GR60s are so so enjyable to listen too. These can be had on the used market for about 1,500 -1,700 or so (a steal). Save and get these if you can. It is very much worth it. You will be drawn to listening to all sorts of music much too much I can tell you. By the way, the Paradigm References, which are similar and pretty good overall, are still no match for the GR60s.

I like Eurpean audio mags as well as American mags. Its informative to get different perspectives. I think the Brit mags - hi-fi choice for example - tend to be a bit more to the point/scientific about things. I've read some brilliant articles in European mags that address the science behind acoustic subjects, and I wish Stereophile and TAS had more of these.

Ajani
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Ajani, did you get Monitor Audio's yet?

Not yet.... I've finally got the wife to agree to the budget (lol)... so I will be getting either a pair of GS20 or GS60s... I haven't heard the 60s though, but the 20s were amazing (with some tubed Musical Fidelity Gear)....

Please take this under serious consideration. A used pair of Gold Reference 60s are just about the best speaker-bargain in high-end audio. Period. I've listened to many high-end speakers over the years, I am fortunate to own one of the greatest speakers ever made. I can tell you categorically that the Gold Reference 60 is a giant killer, and that is no hype. First off, you've got fantastic ceramic coated magnesium drivers C-CAM, the surface of which is fashioned (very cleverly) like a golf ball to aid in dispersion (golf balls are dimpled to help them travel further with less resistance). I can't think of any other manufacturer doing this, so I'm guessing MA have this under patent in some way. Secondly, you have that marvellous and unusual copper/gold dome tweeter that is easily a match for many a high-end titanium tweeter. You get drivers that are all constructed in exactly the same fashion (except the tweeter). As far as sound, you get ultra fast, ultra clear, see-thru transparency given their price. You get seemless coherence (close your eyes and this speaker sounds like an electrostatic with cajones). You get prodigious bass for a speaker of this size - the bass that really counts by the way - the mid-bass that is, which is warm, rich, full, and fast. No it will not have the bottom end of a heavyweight, but it is very good all the same. With a good tube amp, these GR60s are so so enjyable to listen too. These can be had on the used market for about 1,500 -1,700 or so (a steal). Save and get these if you can. It is very much worth it. You will be drawn to listening to all sorts of music much too much I can tell you. By the way, the Paradigm References, which are similar and pretty good overall, are still no match for the GR60s.

I haven't auditioned Paradigm's Reference Series yet... but I'm going to book a trip to Puerto Rico in July (The wait is killing me) to do a lot auditioning and purchase some new gear... Unless I'm totally blown away by some other combo during my auditions, my heart is set on the Monitor Audio Golds with Musical Fidelity.....

I like Eurpean audio mags as well as American mags. Its informative to get different perspectives. I think the Brit mags - hi-fi choice for example - tend to be a bit more to the point/scientific about things. I've read some brilliant articles in European mags that address the science behind acoustic subjects, and I wish Stereophile and TAS had more of these.

I think a blend of different mags and consumer reviews is the way to go...

O'Shag
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
You will be a happy camper with the GS60s, especially driven by Musical Fidelity tube gear (KW500?). The GS60s are going to be clearly superior to the GS20s, even though the 20s are good. The speaker will be able to produce more of the audio spectrum with more ease and less distortion. The mid-bass performance of the GS60 (its virtually identical to the GR60 except the tweeter is supposed to extend a little higher in frequency - I found this out by talking to Monito Audio here in the US) will be fuller, richer and more impactful. This makes for a much more satisfying musical experience no matter what genre you listen to.

Oh and if you've not seen the GS60 in person, they are extremely attractive and well-finished, so your missus will be happy for that. I would go for the piano laquer black, even though mine are the rosewood veneer finish.

Ajani
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
You will be a happy camper with the GS60s, especially driven by Musical Fidelity tube gear (KW500?). The GS60s are going to be clearly superior to the GS20s, even though the 20s are good. The speaker will be able to produce more of the audio spectrum with more ease and less distortion. The mid-bass performance of the GS60 (its virtually identical to the GR60 except the tweeter is supposed to extend a little higher in frequency - I found this out by talking to Monito Audio here in the US) will be fuller, richer and more impactful. This makes for a much more satisfying musical experience no matter what genre you listen to.

Oh and if you've not seen the GS60 in person, they are extremely attractive and well-finished, so your missus will be happy for that. I would go for the piano laquer black, even though mine are the rosewood veneer finish.

I've seen the GS20 and they looked amazing, so I expect the 60 should look equally nice...

For now I'll have to work with one of Musical Fidelity's cheaper tubed gear... they based two of their latest amps on the KW550:

The A1008 (250 watts) but also just over half the price of the KW550 & the X-T100 (only 50 Watts) but about a fifth of the price.... (Actually the only amps in their current line that are not tubed are the A1 and A5.5)

For now I'm going with the GS60/X-T100 combo... years down the road I can upgrade to the A1008 and hopefully after that, the Monitor Audio Platinums :)

nightflier
03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Rave reviews don't necessarily mean pay offs.... just consider how many of our forum members are die-hard supporters of particular brands (Apogee, PSB, McIntosh, Dynaudio & Magnepan come to mind).... I doubt that any of these members get kickbacks from their favourite brands for constantly doing 'free advertising' for them... So I suspect professional reviewers are the same.... they fall in love with particular brands and never stop raving about them....

It's been my experience that the reason people rave about a specific brand or model that they own is simply because deep inside they don't want to know nor do they want anyone else to know that they bought something less than the best. People are like that about cars too - how many people aren't convinced that the car that they bought is the best one for you too? The fact is, most of us feel a need to legitimize our choice in gear.

Reviewers are perhaps even more guilty of this. For one, they have to justify sometimes outrageously expensive and incovenient gear to their readers (Michael Fremer's TTs come to mind). Likewise, expensive gear is less likely to be defective or lacking, thus upholding their judgment even more. Finally, the extravagance ensures that elusive 'synergy' aspect with the equally expensive gear they will likely review in the future. Therefore they must have the best and if it isn't, they need to convince the reader that it is.

And the unfairness that we as readers feel about this, should not whitewash our own foolishness for buying into it. After all, would we respect any of these reviewers if they wrote about how good those $30K speakers sounded hooked up to a $500 integrated? And what if that made-in-China no-name clone actually sounded just as good (indiscernibly so) as the one that is hand-assembled in Denmark and costs 20x as much? Well we would never read about it - the reviewer would undoubtedly find something lacking in its sound, even if it was only in his/her own mind - after all, their reputation depends on it.

Europeans tend to be a little less fooled by unusually high cost and extravagant size. Yes, there are still some who need forklifts ;) to move their speakers, but I gather that this is highly unusual there, whereas Americans see this type of extravagance more often than Europeans do (like on TV shows such as Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous). From my own experience I know quite a few people here in SoCal who have hugely extravagant A/V rooms, whereas I know of none in Western Europe. This is my own experience, but the audiophiles I know there actually prefer small, understated, and simple-to-operate gear (albeit still expensive) - brands like Lowe, Naim, Atoll, Primare, etc. I also remember reading that AvantGarde sells more of their huge horn speakers in the North America than in all of Europe.

It's also been my experience that Europeans, even if they spend a small fortune on something, tend to own the gear longer, perhaps because after having lived through more wars and social upheavals, they have become more complacent about something that is "good enough". This is an unthinkable concept for many American audiophiles. Again, drawing from my own experience, many people here place a high priority on the resale value of something, especially if they bought it used. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is equally true for automobiles. Europeans not so much - they tend to consider the longevity of a piece of audio gear above anything else which is probably why simplicity is another primary concern (fewer things that can break down). As for European cars, the used market is so suppressed by regulation that it hardly exists anymore.

So the reviewers cater to these differences. Marantz integrated amps don't have enough buttons, lights, etc. for the American market. Likewise, the NAD higher end amps are seen as overkill and more for the "American audio palate." Naim and Creek amps, on the other hand are just the right fit for a European living room. And considering the speakers that are produced there, it does seem that they are more sensitive and geared towards those lower-powered amps, as someone else mentioned above.

Now I would almost go as far as saying that there is also some cultural elitism at play here. Those negative articles are perhaps a jab at American reviewers that are seemingly constrained by the advertising dollars that ultimately do pay for the magazine's very existence, even if those advertising dollars trickle in well after the review is written, as Ajani suggested. Subscription fees represent only a fraction of the magazine's operating costs - after all, someone has to pay for their reviewers' extravagant gear, even if they do get it at the extremely discounted reviewers' price. Yes, there is definitely some unsavory relationship here, although I don't know how else one would be able to make a commercially competitive magazine out of it. Let's remember that they are competing with Road & Track, People, and Martha Stewart on the newsstands.

And regarding the length of American articles, maybe this is simply another example of American extravagance - see, even our articles are bigger! Or perhaps it's simply that they need that much more pork to hide the fact that their conclusions are not as easy to substantiated. I love how so many American magazine articles attempt to legitimize matters by offering up some comparison with another component. They of course start out by prefacing how different that other component is (you know, comparing that MTM floorstander with a bookshelf speaker they were reviewing the week before - puuuleeeze). Perhaps this is why online review sites can't so easily get away with that, because their European readers would hang them for it?

Am I just a bit miffed by all this? You betcha. I'll admit it, I've spent a whole lot more money on gear because of seemingly great reviews than I could have. Is everything in Europe better? Absolutely not, but we should at least be willing to take the good things and make them part of what makes our country still a decent place to live. In this particular case, we can learn a thing or two about those snooty Europeans reviewers.

Ajani
04-01-2008, 07:11 AM
European reviews are more accurate?

Maybe....

It's been my experience that the reason people rave about a specific brand or model that they own is simply because deep inside they don't want to know nor do they want anyone else to know that they bought something less than the best. People are like that about cars too - how many people aren't convinced that the car that they bought is the best one for you too? The fact is, most of us feel a need to legitimize our choice in gear.

There is some element of truth in that.... but I think it's way too much of a generalization to hold true all the time... Some people really just love their gear or even their cars...

Reviewers are perhaps even more guilty of this. For one, they have to justify sometimes outrageously expensive and incovenient gear to their readers (Michael Fremer's TTs come to mind). Likewise, expensive gear is less likely to be defective or lacking, thus upholding their judgment even more. Finally, the extravagance ensures that elusive 'synergy' aspect with the equally expensive gear they will likely review in the future. Therefore they must have the best and if it isn't, they need to convince the reader that it is.

And the unfairness that we as readers feel about this, should not whitewash our own foolishness for buying into it. After all, would we respect any of these reviewers if they wrote about how good those $30K speakers sounded hooked up to a $500 integrated? And what if that made-in-China no-name clone actually sounded just as good (indiscernibly so) as the one that is hand-assembled in Denmark and costs 20x as much? Well we would never read about it - the reviewer would undoubtedly find something lacking in its sound, even if it was only in his/her own mind - after all, their reputation depends on it.

It is true that it's tough for reviewers to maintain credibility, without owning some exotic and exorbitantly priced gear.... unless they stick to reviewing 'budget' components... It's unfair but it's true... same thing happens on this site, people tend to judge audio knowledge and experience by looking at the gear listed in your profile....

Europeans tend to be a little less fooled by unusually high cost and extravagant size. Yes, there are still some who need forklifts ;) to move their speakers, but I gather that this is highly unusual there, whereas Americans see this type of extravagance more often than Europeans do (like on TV shows such as Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous). From my own experience I know quite a few people here in SoCal who have hugely extravagant A/V rooms, whereas I know of none in Western Europe. This is my own experience, but the audiophiles I know there actually prefer small, understated, and simple-to-operate gear (albeit still expensive) - brands like Lowe, Naim, Atoll, Primare, etc. I also remember reading that AvantGarde sells more of their huge horn speakers in the North America than in all of Europe.

As someone said earlier: different apartment/house sizes probably account for massive speakers not being as popular in Europe... The best small room setup I ever heard (worked perfectly in an 11' by 11' room) was comprised of all British gear from MF and MA... Now Imagine some American Brands such as Krell and Revel producing small room gear.... hmmm.... that would be interesting....

It's also been my experience that Europeans, even if they spend a small fortune on something, tend to own the gear longer, perhaps because after having lived through more wars and social upheavals, they have become more complacent about something that is "good enough". This is an unthinkable concept for many American audiophiles. Again, drawing from my own experience, many people here place a high priority on the resale value of something, especially if they bought it used. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is equally true for automobiles. Europeans not so much - they tend to consider the longevity of a piece of audio gear above anything else which is probably why simplicity is another primary concern (fewer things that can break down). As for European cars, the used market is so suppressed by regulation that it hardly exists anymore.

That's why the used market is so hot in America.... people trade out gear at speeds that would make SVI proud.... which is really kind of strange when you think about it... Reviewers spend months with a piece of gear just to write a review and then the consumers spend only a few days/weeks with a product before selling it... WTH???

So the reviewers cater to these differences. Marantz integrated amps don't have enough buttons, lights, etc. for the American market. Likewise, the NAD higher end amps are seen as overkill and more for the "American audio palate." Naim and Creek amps, on the other hand are just the right fit for a European living room. And considering the speakers that are produced there, it does seem that they are more sensitive and geared towards those lower-powered amps, as someone else mentioned above.

That rule doesn't always hold true, but I've found that to a large extent it does....

Now I would almost go as far as saying that there is also some cultural elitism at play here. Those negative articles are perhaps a jab at American reviewers that are seemingly constrained by the advertising dollars that ultimately do pay for the magazine's very existence, even if those advertising dollars trickle in well after the review is written, as Ajani suggested. Subscription fees represent only a fraction of the magazine's operating costs - after all, someone has to pay for their reviewers' extravagant gear, even if they do get it at the extremely discounted reviewers' price. Yes, there is definitely some unsavory relationship here, although I don't know how else one would be able to make a commercially competitive magazine out of it. Let's remember that they are competing with Road & Track, People, and Martha Stewart on the newsstands.

I'm sure the same kind of unsavory relationship exists with other review magazines, whether for cars or kitchen appliances... no reviewer wants to piss off their advertisers, but that doesn't mean that all reviewers are corrupt either.....

And regarding the length of American articles, maybe this is simply another example of American extravagance - see, even our articles are bigger! Or perhaps it's simply that they need that much more pork to hide the fact that their conclusions are not as easy to substantiated. I love how so many American magazine articles attempt to legitimize matters by offering up some comparison with another component. They of course start out by prefacing how different that other component is (you know, comparing that MTM floorstander with a bookshelf speaker they were reviewing the week before - puuuleeeze). Perhaps this is why online review sites can't so easily get away with that, because their European readers would hang them for it?

LOL.... I alway wonder what the point of comparing a $1,500 floorstander with a $2,300 bookshelf is.... then telling me that the floostander has better bass and dynamic range but the bookshelf is airier in the treble with more liquid midrange... ummm yeah... like duh... what I'd like to see is a comparison with some other $1500 floorstanders....

The one thing I will give some of them credit for, is comparing a lower level model with a higher level one from the same brand... e.g comparing a Revel Concerta to a Revel Studio... that's a fun comparison and tells me whether it's worth the extra dough to upgrade (well not really, but in theory anyway)

Am I just a bit miffed by all this? You betcha. I'll admit it, I've spent a whole lot more money on gear because of seemingly great reviews than I could have. Is everything in Europe better? Absolutely not, but we should at least be willing to take the good things and make them part of what makes our country still a decent place to live. In this particular case, we can learn a thing or two about those snooty Europeans reviewers.

Yep, Europe is not a better place, just different... but you can still learn alot from 'different'....

nightflier
04-04-2008, 03:42 PM
LOL.... I alway wonder what the point of comparing a $1,500 floorstander with a $2,300 bookshelf is.... then telling me that the floostander has better bass and dynamic range but the bookshelf is airier in the treble with more liquid midrange... ummm yeah... like duh... what I'd like to see is a comparison with some other $1500 floorstanders....

I looked back through a few of my older magazines, and the European writers definitely do this a lot less. They also have a lot more shoot-off articles with similar models. If I'm shopping for a piece of gear, those articles would be a whole lot more useful to me in narrowing down what I will audition.

I hate to pick on Stereophile, because I do enjoy reading it, but it drives me nuts to have to read about gear in comparison to Caliburn 'tables and AvantGarde speakers. I mean even if you can afford them, they are about as impractical as they come. You'd think these people have no children, pets, dust, bad weather, thunderstorms, or overzealous cleaning people, and that their houses are mansions designed specifically for audio-auditioning. The further out there these reviewer's systems are the further they are from what people will buy. If the advertisers cared about actually selling stuff, they'd venture a comment about this. I mean how many pairs of Sentinels series speakers will Avalon Acoustics sell compared to their more down-to-earth-priced gear? If they and the magazines really cared about growing the market, they'd at least try to compare gear that most of their readers can actually afford or be able to make room for in their lives.

In the end, the reviewing of outrageously exotic gear is a disservice to this hobby. At least the European reviewers understand that a little better. And maybe this is why the market for hi-end audio is growing and more competitive there.

3-LockBox
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
There are integrated amps such as the Onkyo A-9555 which drew press for being a Class D design and sounds better than it's budget price might indicate.

Shows how long I've been out of the loop.

I didn't know that name brand mass market equipment had gone to class D design yet. I happen to own a Sonic Impact Super T class D amp and its is a killer little amp - ink black quiet, very very low distortion, and crystal clean mids and highs -- all at a whopping 10 watts per channel (yes, that's ten).

I used to own an Onkyo receiver back in the '90s, and I loved it. I kinda got away from recievers since then, and I only go 2-channel as it is. There was something synergistic between Onkyo and Polk Audio gear (still got my Polks).

Have you heard this new Onkyo?