Matched Sub for the AR.com DIY? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Matched Sub for the AR.com DIY?

bcass
03-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Has anyone a suggestion for a good DIY subwoofer to match with the AR.com DIY speakers from Ed Frias? OK yeah, I got the bug now and I'm ready to build the cabinet and all from scratch this time! :wink5:

hydroman
03-26-2008, 04:35 AM
PartsExpress has been good to me in my DIY project.

Know this. Powering a 4ohm sub requires a very specific amp (bridged mono stable to 2 OHMs) so use a 8ohm dual coil driver or get the Dayton plate amps. [period] AFAIK.

Me? I plan to buy the Dayton 1000watt amp @ $400. Check into the Dayton sub kits - i wish i had.

kexodusc
03-26-2008, 07:24 AM
I use twin 15" Dayton Quatro subs in a sealed box, about 3 cubic feet. They're fairly high sensitivity and you can easily get away using a 240-250 watt plate amp in all but the biggest rooms.

This is one of the most popular DIY projects on the PartsExpress forums, it's inexpensive and packs a mean punch for HT while offering excellent sound quality for music listening.
My first unit replaced a $1200 commercial sub. Much better sounding, though much above 105 dB in my room you might want a bigger amp or a 2nd unit. Not bad for $250-$300 in parts and materials, not bad at all.

There's other possibilities depending on your budget. I built a 12" Titanic sub for my parents which is also a pretty darn good unit, and a few of the guys here have gone with the 15" Titanics and are very pleased.

flippo
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
This driver is one I used tp build my DIY sub. It is a very low distortion driver and it has the ability to be used in numerous different configurations by using different inserts that change the specs. Look it up and check for yourself.