Need help with choosing speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with choosing speakers

timbrooks2001us
03-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Folks/Experts out there,

Need some help with choosing speakers!.

Currently, I have a pair of B&W 603S3 and am driving them with the NAD C162/C272 pre-amp/power-amp combination. Although I am very happy with the current set up, I feel that it does not give me the low end I am looking for. The bass just doesn't seem to be enough. I listed to all kinds of music ranging from soft rock to country to classical.

I am thinking of upgrading the speakers and am thinking about the following speakers to help me out on the bass front.
Energy RC70
B&W 683
Paradigm Studio 100

Is there any other way to do this without spending a whole lot of money on a set of new speakers.

Thoughts will be appreciated

Ajani
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Well you certainly have enough power (150 watts) to produce deep bass, so you're left with two options (apart from placing your speakers closer to the walls):

1) Get a subwoofer... some people like the sound of a bookshelf/sub combo (I really don't)

2) Get floorstanders.... all 3 options you mention should give you good bass response... the 683 are the cheapest of the lot and would probably sound closest to your existing speakers...

frenchmon
03-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Folks/Experts out there,

Need some help with choosing speakers!.

Currently, I have a pair of B&W 603S3 and am driving them with the NAD C162/C272 pre-amp/power-amp combination. Although I am very happy with the current set up, I feel that it does not give me the low end I am looking for. The bass just doesn't seem to be enough. I listed to all kinds of music ranging from soft rock to country to classical.

I am thinking of upgrading the speakers and am thinking about the following speakers to help me out on the bass front.
Energy RC70
B&W 683
Paradigm Studio 100

Is there any other way to do this without spending a whole lot of money on a set of new speakers.

Thoughts will be appreciated

The best thing for you to do is to go out and listen to speakers, but if you want my two cents I would chose the Paradigms 100.

frenchmon

frenchmon
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Well you certainly have enough power (150 watts) to produce deep bass, so you're left with two options (apart from placing your speakers closer to the walls):

1) Get a subwoofer... some people like the sound of a bookshelf/sub combo (I really don't)

2) Get floorstanders.... all 3 options you mention should give you good bass response... the 683 are the cheapest of the lot and would probably sound closest to your existing speakers...

The 603 S3 are floorstanders.

frenchmon

Ajani
03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
The 603 S3 are floorstanders.

frenchmon

I keep getting confused with the change in numbering for the new 600 Series... so let me adjust my recommendation:

Get floorstanders with more bass... i.e the 683 or the 604 S3, both of which have an extra bass woofer....

PDN
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I have a pr of DM603 S3's with a B&W ASW600 subwoofer. Room is 23' x 13' x 8' high with two openings to hallways. I just upgraded from a Marantz A-V receiver to a Rotel RSX-1057 A-V receiver. With either receiver, absolutely NO problem with bass ext. I'm listening right now to Al Jarreu's newest CD (Love Songs) and I'm hearing so much bass that my head is starting to split open !! I've got to say the Rotel unit really makes these speakers come alive. Wow, I can't believe my ears. So get a subwoofer !! Your NAD units have plenty of power.

frenchmon
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I have a pr of DM603 S3's with a B&W ASW600 subwoofer. Room is 23' x 13' x 8' high with two openings to hallways. I just upgraded from a Marantz A-V receiver to a Rotel RSX-1057 A-V receiver. With either receiver, absolutely NO problem with bass ext. I'm listening right now to Al Jarreu's newest CD (Love Songs) and I'm hearing so much bass that my head is starting to split open !! I've got to say the Rotel unit really makes these speakers come alive. Wow, I can't believe my ears. So get a subwoofer !! Your NAD units have plenty of power.

What Marantz did you upgrade from?

frenchmon

some guy
03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
definitive tech bp series have decent bass, even the cheaper models. i have the bp8b's, tons of bass for such small woofers, but i still use a sub because i like to rattle the pictures on the walls. i use a nad t761 receiver and i got my def techs used from ebay for $265, i think they are around $700 new, so go find a great deal and keep rockin!!!