Changed my speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Changed my speakers

giofer69
03-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Well after a few months of auditioning various speakers, I decided to go with the new synchrony series from PSB. I went with the Synchrony Two (towers), I had the OM-12s from Mirage but I started to get tired with the Omnipolar technology. Paul Barton hit a home run with this series IMO. I owned PSB's in the past but changed to Mirage when I got into HT but since I have no use for HT any more I went back to the PSBs. Now, I'm looking for a better amp.

frenchmon
03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Well after a few months of auditioning various speakers, I decided to go with the new synchrony series from PSB. I went with the Synchrony Two (towers), I had the OM-12s from Mirage but I started to get tired with the Omnipolar technology. Paul Barton hit a home run with this series IMO. I owned PSB's in the past but changed to Mirage when I got into HT but since I have no use for HT any more I went back to the PSBs. Now, I'm looking for a better amp.

I have never heard the Synchrony speakers but there is a wonderful review of the Synchrony 2 Towers in the April edition of Stereophile. The company headquarters are in Canada but the speakers them are assembled in China according to the review. The review was positive. I wish I could here them but there is no dealer in my area.

frenchmon

Jack in Wilmington
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I was curious, why you have no use for HT anymore. With all the new technologies and HDTV advances, it is a huge part of most AV dealers business.

giofer69
03-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Hi Jack,

When I completed my HT system back in 1999 I really enjoyed watching/renting movies and also watched a fair amount of TV but for the past 5 years, I rent no more than 1 or 2 movies a year and I watch 3-5 hours a week of TV. IMHO, there isn't much shown on TV anymore. I still love my music though, therefore I'm going back to 2-channel. I'm in the process in auditioning some amps right now. I really like the M-3 by NAD, a very nice piece but I'm taking my time on my next purchase since I have the T753 by NAD for the time being.

Ajani
03-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi Jack,

When I completed my HT system back in 1999 I really enjoyed watching/renting movies and also watched a fair amount of TV but for the past 5 years, I rent no more than 1 or 2 movies a year and I watch 3-5 hours a week of TV. IMHO, there isn't much shown on TV anymore. I still love my music though, therefore I'm going back to 2-channel. I'm in the process in auditioning some amps right now. I really like the M-3 by NAD, a very nice piece but I'm taking my time on my next purchase since I have the T753 by NAD for the time being.

That sounds quite a bit like my experience with HT.... in the end I'm more of a music lover than anything else... so I prefer to get a really nice 2 channel setup than a lower quality HT setup for the same price...

NAD and PSB should be a good match as they are sister companies and are (I believe) designed to be complimentary....

The M3/Synchrony combo should both look and sound fantastic!!! Please give us a review if you get that combo...

giofer69
03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi Ajani,

It's really funny, my intentions was to upgrade my HT but in the end I said why waste my money on the HT when I could rebuild a really nice 2 channel setup. I listen to music quite a bit and the audio dealer who I've dealt with for over 20 years told me, stick to two-channel and you won't regret it since clearly HT isn't a priority for you anymore.

You're are not the only one who has mentioned that NAD and PSB are a good match and I will give a review once I decide what my final combo will be.

Cheers

Jack in Wilmington
03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
I guess it all depends where you live, as to how much TV you watch per week. I watch at least 2 hours every night. Mostly things that I have prerecorded on my DVR. Then I'll go into my audio room and listen to some music for an hour or so, while I read the paper or put on a hockey or basketball game without the sound. I'm not sure where you guys are located. I know for example British TV doesn't have a lot of choices.

filecat13
03-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a music room and HT adjacent to each other on the lower level of my house.

I find I watch more TV since I got a nice, big screen, a 1080p projector, and a digital OTA TV tuner. (I've never had cable.) There are some incredible audio/video experiences (and a lot of crap--Hey!) that I wouldn't have spent any time on before, particularly on PBS and the non-network channels.

Also, while the selection is limited, there are MC audio discs that are stunning to hear.

If I want to hear two channel music only, I can go down a few steps and be in a music-only world. However, I'd say 70% of my available entertainment time is in the HT with my girlfriend, sharing movies or favorite shows. The 30% I spend in the music room is always alone.

Of course it took a long number of years, hard work, saving, and a grinding divorce to get to this point, but it seems to have paid off pretty well.

Congrats on your personal upgrade. Finding what makes you happy is a big deal.

giofer69
03-19-2008, 04:42 AM
I guess it all depends where you live, as to how much TV you watch per week. I watch at least 2 hours every night. Mostly things that I have prerecorded on my DVR. Then I'll go into my audio room and listen to some music for an hour or so, while I read the paper or put on a hockey or basketball game without the sound. I'm not sure where you guys are located. I know for example British TV doesn't have a lot of choices.

Hi Jack,

I'm located in Canada, there is a lot to offer but the older I get I'm finding that my taste towards new programming on TV as changed quite a bit. I was a huge hockey fan but since the lockout I've lost interest in the game due to the quality of the game but the big factor was owners/players being greedy in the end. (But that's another topic for discussion). Watching 3-5 hours a week of TV convinced me that HT isn't for me anymore. Ah well, maybe I will change my outlook at TV and movies one day.
One thing that won't change is my love for music. :14:

Cheers

giofer69
03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
I'm lucky enough to have a music room and HT adjacent to each other on the lower level of my house.

I find I watch more TV since I got a nice, big screen, a 1080p projector, and a digital OTA TV tuner. (I've never had cable.) There are some incredible audio/video experiences (and a lot of crap--Hey!) that I wouldn't have spent any time on before, particularly on PBS and the non-network channels.

Also, while the selection is limited, there are MC audio discs that are stunning to hear.

If I want to hear two channel music only, I can go down a few steps and be in a music-only world. However, I'd say 70% of my available entertainment time is in the HT with my girlfriend, sharing movies or favorite shows. The 30% I spend in the music room is always alone.

Of course it took a long number of years, hard work, saving, and a grinding divorce to get to this point, but it seems to have paid off pretty well.

Congrats on your personal upgrade. Finding what makes you happy is a big deal.

Hi Filecat,

Sounds like you have the perfect set up to satisfy your HT and music needs and all your hard work has paid off. Continue to enjoy.

Cheers