Battery Storage? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Storage?

L.J.
03-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I was wondering, what is the best way to store batteries of devices you won't be using for awhile? I thought the best way was to take the battery out of the product until your ready to use it again. I'm asking because I did this with my camera but now the battery is dead, it won't hold a charge. The battery sat unused for maybe 6 months. The type is Lithium ION.

Groundbeef
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
I was wondering, what is the best way to store batteries of devices you won't be using for awhile? I thought the best way was to take the battery out of the product until your ready to use it again. I'm asking because I did this with my camera but now the battery is dead, it won't hold a charge. The battery sat unused for maybe 6 months. The type is Lithium ION.

Something is wrong with your battery. Li-ion batteries are supposed to be some of the best. They don't suffer "memory" problems, and if its not holding a charge, either your charger is dead, or there is an internal problem with the battery.

One note, LI-Ion batteries may NOT take a charge if there is an internal problem with the battery. This is a safety precaution to reduce the risk of fire in the event of an internal short.

Take it to your local retailer (battery) and ask they test it. Start there, and make a decision after they test it.

L.J.
03-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Something is wrong with your battery. Li-ion batteries are supposed to be some of the best. They don't suffer "memory" problems, and if its not holding a charge, either your charger is dead, or there is an internal problem with the battery.

One note, LI-Ion batteries may NOT take a charge if there is an internal problem with the battery. This is a safety precaution to reduce the risk of fire in the event of an internal short.

Take it to your local retailer (battery) and ask they test it. Start there, and make a decision after they test it.

Cool thanks! It must be the battery.