Getting Started with KEF [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with KEF

raychristenpaul
03-17-2008, 08:58 AM
I have always been wanting to have my pair of nice speakers, amp, etc but could not have the time to do research on so many products in the market. With new job n such.....I just have to go with my instinct.

And with that, I finally brave enough to walked in an audio shop n with tight budget n a few cds, I browsed around.....seems to be I am the only female customer. Yup, I guess I am in the wrong place. Tried a few speakers (those that I can afford for now) and after a few recommendation from the sales person, I walked out to a new owner of:

Speakers : KEF iQ3
Amp: NAD C315BEE
CD Player: Out of cash......next month.....NAD C525BEE or C515BEE

The shop was kind enough to give me 4 metres of speakers cables for free....nice...a decent one I hope.

It may not be the best but I hope I am getting the value for $.

Question is, for next month - shall I get NAD C525 or the C515. Any suggestions will be appreciated guys......thanks....

Ajani
03-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Get the C515... it will match the look of the C315 better and I get the impression from reviews that is a better CD player than the C525 (the C515 is a newer model than the C525)....

Congratulations on your purchases so far... it sounds like you've put together a very good budget setup...

audio amateur
03-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey you've a post on my thread, and said you didn't do your homework. Why do you think this? Are you not happy with the iQ3's? I see you are new here, and a woman at that! Welcome
AA

aevans
03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a great start.. I took a look at the specs of the NAD C315BEE and I really like the back to basics approach of it as an integrated stereo amp.

I don't really like the sound of KEF speakers, but don't like a lot of speakers. If they make good sounds for your ears you should be happy with your purchase.

I'm a big fan of matched sets, it increases the resale value incase you ever become unhappy with your setup, and you know that the products were designed to work together. I would go with the C515BEE given the choice between the two.

bubbagump
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
KEF doesn't get the attention of Paradigm, B&W but in my experience, is a better sounding line of speakers across the board. I've had a number of speakers over the years. I listened to and bought a pair of IQ9's about a year ago. They're essentially IQ3's with two six inch bass/mid drivers. Very dynamic and capable of effortlessly filling a large room with smooth, non-fatiguing and realistic sound. Amazing imaging too thanks to the coax design. You'll probably want a sub to flesh out the lower end though. Good purchase.

I have always been wanting to have my pair of nice speakers, amp, etc but could not have the time to do research on so many products in the market. With new job n such.....I just have to go with my instinct.

And with that, I finally brave enough to walked in an audio shop n with tight budget n a few cds, I browsed around.....seems to be I am the only female customer. Yup, I guess I am in the wrong place. Tried a few speakers (those that I can afford for now) and after a few recommendation from the sales person, I walked out to a new owner of:

Speakers : KEF iQ3
Amp: NAD C315BEE
CD Player: Out of cash......next month.....NAD C525BEE or C515BEE

The shop was kind enough to give me 4 metres of speakers cables for free....nice...a decent one I hope.

It may not be the best but I hope I am getting the value for $.

Question is, for next month - shall I get NAD C525 or the C515. Any suggestions will be appreciated guys......thanks....

bobsticks
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Congrats on the new toys!

I love KEF. I started off with some Q7 floorstanders that I still own and use to this day in my computer rig. Great imaging and midrange, and I think you could do a lot worse in this pricerange. Just a very solid rock/pop/blues speaker that doesn't get much press or acknowledgment on this side of the pond.

Just one man's opinion but I would choose the Marantz 5001 in a heartbeat over either NAD model, but if the NAD is a dealkiller go with the 515.

Welcome to the forum.

--sticks

Ajani
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Congrats on the new toys!

I love KEF. I started off with some Q7 floorstanders that I still own and use to this day in my computer rig. Great imaging and midrange, and I think you could do a lot worse in this pricerange. Just a very solid rock/pop/blues speaker that doesn't get much press or acknowledgment on this side of the pond.

Just one man's opinion but I would choose the Marantz 5001 in a heartbeat over either NAD model, but if the NAD is a dealkiller go with the 515.

Welcome to the forum.

--sticks

You're sure right about that... on the other side of the pond, Kef and Monitor Audio are pretty much the kings of entry level.... over here it's more Paradigm & PSB...

raychristenpaul
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
A little bit of homework but not with all those technicals words n jargon......I am just lost. But thanks to a lot of review, I managed to narrow down the numbers.

bobsticks
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
A little bit of homework but not with all those technicals words n jargon......I am just lost. But thanks to a lot of review, I managed to narrow down the numbers.

What's gotya stumped?

raychristenpaul
03-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys......I am enjoying my music. Currently, I am using a very old Pioneer DV-515as my cd player. It's kinda gold in colour. Got if from my dad - which was in a garage for a while. He told me that he didn't really actually use it a lot. He opened the cover, blast off the dust n hooked it up. It works........

Is this player ok? It's not a dedicated cd player as it is also for dvd.

If I buy NAD 515, would it makes a lot of different? I agree, looks better.

Currently, the vocal overwhelmed the music. Is that normal? I mean, yeah it's so clear n crisp.

Sub? Hmmmmm.......I gota say that I am tempted as at the moment I am not happy with the bass. Any recommendation?

raychristenpaul
03-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Get the C515... it will match the look of the C315 better and I get the impression from reviews that is a better CD player than the C525 (the C515 is a newer model than the C525)....

Congratulations on your purchases so far... it sounds like you've put together a very good budget setup...

Would the C515 beat my old Pioneer DV-515? How is that so?

raychristenpaul
03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I guess at this point I am happy with my iQ3. At the moment I do not have a speaker stand. Just placed them on a granite window ledge and were only a meter apart from my amp. Obviously, it's a small flat. Would a speker stand helps to produce better sounds?

audio amateur
03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
I guess at this point I am happy with my iQ3. At the moment I do not have a speaker stand. Just placed them on a granite window ledge and were only a meter apart from my amp. Obviously, it's a small flat. Would a speker stand helps to produce better sounds?
Definitely grab some stands. If you are in the US, others might guide you as to where to look. You can get them fairly cheap (under 50bucks pair). I'd get some with rounded edges, to match the style of the iQ3's. 24 inches tall should be good.
Also a dedicated CD player should sound better than a DVD. How much better? Well it depends.. You have to be the judge.

bobsticks
03-18-2008, 09:38 AM
. Would a speker stand helps to produce better sounds?

Yes they would, if only because in the current location you'll get some nasty reflections of the glass. If some of the lower frequencies sound "muddied" or "garbled" that's why...though if you listen to a lot of electronic or heavy rock you may well need a subwoofer.

I don't know if the difference between a DVD and CD player will be the issue in this rig. I'm more inclined to think that the difference will be in the modernity of the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) used in the player. There's been a lot of advancement the technology in this particular area within the last few years. I suspect that a new player of any stripe will give you greater clarity and presence...and fortunately it won't have to be a megabuck unit for you to enjoy the difference.

Ajani
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Would the C515 beat my old Pioneer DV-515? How is that so?

I don't know how old your Pioneer is, but as bobsticks pointed out: there have been great improvements in DACS over the lifespan of CD and DVD players.... so a modern one will often outperform an older one (even if the older one was far more expensive)....

How much of a difference the NAD would make over the Pioneer is subjective... I suggest you see if you can borrow the NAD from your dealer for a weekend to try it out first...

JSE
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Like Sticks said, the speaker position probably has a lot to do with the sound your getting. Speaker placement/stands will probably have a much greater effect on your sound than and new CD player. I would probably play around with your positioning and get some stands. Then, get a decent musical sub to give you some low frequencies.

I think these suggestions will be far more of an improvement than a new CD player. Definitely get a new CD player but get stands and a sub first. Try and move your speakers about 6 to 8 feet apart if your can and angle them in toward your listening position. You can then adjust from there on the speaker angle. You will be amazed what a little tweaking can do.

raychristenpaul
03-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Like Sticks said, the speaker position probably has a lot to do with the sound your getting. Speaker placement/stands will probably have a much greater effect on your sound than and new CD player. I would probably play around with your positioning and get some stands. Then, get a decent musical sub to give you some low frequencies.

I think these suggestions will be far more of an improvement than a new CD player. Definitely get a new CD player but get stands and a sub first. Try and move your speakers about 6 to 8 feet apart if your can and angle them in toward your listening position. You can then adjust from there on the speaker angle. You will be amazed what a little tweaking can do.

Wow, you guys are the greatest.

I have repositioned the speakers, almost 6 feet apart. My listening distance is about 12-15 feet away. Speakers still on the window ledge, cone rises to about 2 feet n 8 inches. Speakers are about 1 feet infront of the window. Playing hotel costes x, which I just bought - clear vocal sounds, crisp I would say....but on the lower freq, rather dissapointing. Bass sounds ok on some songs but I would expect a better outcome. It's just not coming out or how shall I put it....humming...or...non distinguished bass. Can't recognise if it's from bass guitar or others..

I've got this wooden blinder for my (5 by 7) window and would that help or should I change to fabric? The window ledge is my fav spot for my set n will try not to locate to another area. Unless I do not have an option - than means to the bedroom.....oh...no....

raychristenpaul
03-19-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't know how old your Pioneer is, but as bobsticks pointed out: there have been great improvements in DACS over the lifespan of CD and DVD players.... so a modern one will often outperform an older one (even if the older one was far more expensive)....

How much of a difference the NAD would make over the Pioneer is subjective... I suggest you see if you can borrow the NAD from your dealer for a weekend to try it out first...

It was about 4 years old, printed on the front panel are " 96 kHz 24 bit DAC Legato Link Conversion, dolby digital/dts/Tru Surround w/srs"......whatever.......

Will save some $ on speakers stand n then getting a dedicated cd player. Oh wait, somebody said get a sub. Speakers stand n a sub.....might go for that. Nah, can't borrow the NAD from the dealer.

Ajani
03-19-2008, 05:41 AM
It was about 4 years old, printed on the front panel are " 96 kHz 24 bit DAC Legato Link Conversion, dolby digital/dts/Tru Surround w/srs"......whatever.......

Will save some $ on speakers stand n then getting a dedicated cd player. Oh wait, somebody said get a sub. Speakers stand n a sub.....might go for that. Nah, can't borrow the NAD from the dealer.

Checking out speaker stands and a sub are probably a better option than buying a CD player, especially since your complaint is about poor bass response...

Another option you can consider is whether the total cost of IQ3s + Stands + Sub may not end up being more than say the IQ7/IQ9 floorstanders.... if so, you might want to consider just trading up the IQ3s for one of them.... If you can, I'd suggest auditioning a IQ3/stands/Sub combo in the store versus IQ7s to see which you prefer (assuming the store will allow a trade up)....

noddin0ff
03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
If you're budget hunting, I think you'll have to put some thought to whether you want good bass or adequate bass. I'd play around with room placement some more. Putting speakers in corners or closer to walls will bring out the bass more. Ultimately though, good bass is all about moving large volumes of air accurately.

I think the best way to approach good bass on a budget (outside of the used market) is to consider subwoofer kits. Parts Express makes some good kits (Click for link) (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536). The 10" kit is well reviewed and would be a place to begin the search.

I bought my 15" MkIII subwoofer off their ebay auction, pre-assembled for less than the kit price. If you are patient and watch the auction (click again) (http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-Express-Electronics), subwoofers will show up.

But, patience is key to the next step. I'd advise that it's better to wait and think about what you want longer (perhaps save more) then pull the trigger.

noddin0ff
03-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Also, on the CD player front, many here have moved over to computer based audio. E.g. rip the CD to the computer in a lossless format. Then buy a good external DAC. The Computer/DAC combo can outperform many a CD player if done right and give you more flexibility in playing music. 2 cents.

raychristenpaul
03-19-2008, 06:40 AM
If you're budget hunting, I think you'll have to put some thought to whether you want good bass or adequate bass. I'd play around with room placement some more. Putting speakers in corners or closer to walls will bring out the bass more. Ultimately though, good bass is all about moving large volumes of air accurately.

I think the best way to approach good bass on a budget (outside of the used market) is to consider subwoofer kits. Parts Express makes some good kits (Click for link) (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536). The 10" kit is well reviewed and would be a place to begin the search.

I bought my 15" MkIII subwoofer off their ebay auction, pre-assembled for less than the kit price. If you are patient and watch the auction (click again) (http://stores.ebay.com/Parts-Express-Electronics), subwoofers will show up.

But, patience is key to the next step. I'd advise that it's better to wait and think about what you want longer (perhaps save more) then pull the trigger.

You r so right about being patience n playing wth speakers placement. Gonna do that n if that doesn't work - u will know for sure as my next question will be what's a good sub for my set up. Till then, me n my spakers r playing with space. Will let u all know the result.

JSE
03-19-2008, 09:03 AM
You r so right about being patience n playing wth speakers placement. Gonna do that n if that doesn't work - u will know for sure as my next question will be what's a good sub for my set up. Till then, me n my spakers r playing with space. Will let u all know the result.

Based on your comment about weak bass above, I would defintely go the stand/sub route first. Like noddinoff mentioned, bass is about moving air. Small speakers simply don't move a lot of air, thus limited bass.

However, you have some great speakers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pairing a decent sub with them. Many audio nuts prefer a monitor/bookshelve style speakers like yours combined with a sub. Some prefer a larger full range larger speaker that produces more bass on it's own. Even then, most still add a sub to a full range speaker.

In the mean time, keep playing with positioning and maybe even some room treatments like you mentioned with fabric on the window. Generally speaking, fabric and soft materials will absorb sound and reduce reflections. Wood or any hard surface creates reflections and "bounces" sound. Since I am starting to speak outside my limited expertise, I am not really sure which would help best with your lack of bass and your layout . I suspect the wood shutters would be better in your situation but again, maybe someone else will disagree. A little "boomy" bass created by some hard surfaced might actually help a little here in this particular situation. At least until you get a sub.

Ajani
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Based on your comment about weak bass above, I would defintely go the stand/sub route first. Like noddinoff mentioned, bass is about moving air. Small speakers simply don't move a lot of air, thus limited bass.

However, you have some great speakers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pairing a decent sub with them. Many audio nuts prefer a monitor/bookshelve style speakers like yours combined with a sub. Some prefer a larger full range larger speaker that produces more bass on it's own. Even then, most still add a sub to a full range speaker.

In the mean time, keep playing with positioning and maybe even some room treatments like you mentioned with fabric on the window. Generally speaking fabric soft and materials will absorb sound and reduce reflections. Wood or any hard surface creates reflections and "bounces" sound. Since I am starting to speak outside my limited expertise, I am not really sure which would help best with your lack of bass and your layout . I suspect the wood shutters would better in your situation but again, maybe someone else will disagree. A little "boomy" bass created by some hard surfaced might actually help a little here in this particular situation. At least until you get a sub.

Good advice, though I'm not sure the highlighted line is correct.... For Home Theater - possibly.... but for music? probably not...

raychristenpaul
03-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Checking out speaker stands and a sub are probably a better option than buying a CD player, especially since your complaint is about poor bass response...

Another option you can consider is whether the total cost of IQ3s + Stands + Sub may not end up being more than say the IQ7/IQ9 floorstanders.... if so, you might want to consider just trading up the IQ3s for one of them.... If you can, I'd suggest auditioning a IQ3/stands/Sub combo in the store versus IQ7s to see which you prefer (assuming the store will allow a trade up)....

Went back to the shop n try some sub plus stand n iq3 just roar and ump with bass. Not looking back with KEF of mine. Small compared to the towers surrounding it but yes it can perform. However, instead of NAD C315 we were switching to the bigger amp - big brother of C315, Marantz that is triple the price and ONKYO & of course Denon.

Marantz n Denon sounds better in term of vocal, sweet oh sweet vocal......mind u all, I brought with me stacks of cds, just to try different beat, vocals, pop, jazz, rock etc. Such crisp sound.

M getting back to earth n looking at my C315, I will have to settle for it....for now. Can't say anythingwhen $ is a concern.

Can't believe the price of the stand. The cheapest is about $200.

raychristenpaul
03-20-2008, 04:34 AM

In the mean time, keep playing with positioning and maybe even some room treatments like you mentioned with fabric on the window. Generally speaking, fabric and soft materials will absorb sound and reduce reflections. Wood or any hard surface creates reflections and "bounces" sound. Since I am starting to speak outside my limited expertise, I am not really sure which would help best with your lack of bass and your layout . I suspect the wood shutters would be better in your situation but again, maybe someone else will disagree. A little "boomy" bass created by some hard surfaced might actually help a little here in this particular situation. At least until you get a sub.

Hours ago I was at my friend's flat, twice the size and I brought along my set up. Growing muscles in hours. My main reason was to borrow his stand and looking at his set up. I think it was B&W CM1 and Rotel amp n a dedicated player, also Rotel. Wow.......need I say more. Can't compare if one is on a tight budget.

Placing the iq3 on stand which was placed in decent size living room, lots of furnitures - no subs n using my NAD. Speakers were spaced at about 10 feet from the centre. The outcome.........again crisp sound and more than adequate bass for my standard. Play numerous cds and yes, iq3 sounds so much better in his house. I can feel the bass moving towards me instead of lingering in a corner. No muffled bass and .....it rocks man....:18: I am newbie but I can recommend to anyone with tight budget, iq3 is a solid buy.

In conclusion, I need to move to a bigger flat..........:sad: Not a fair world that is.:nonod:

audio amateur
03-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I was a bit surprised when you talked about the bass. When I auditioned the iQ3's, I definitely didn't think the bass was missing/poor. Glad you had that experience, now you know what they are capable of. I'm sure you can sort something out in your room;) Give it a little time.

Dishwasher
03-22-2008, 02:14 AM
I've got the IQ5's and set up in a small room. I also had a problem getting enough bass out of them.

Before getting the CD player or stands, I would probably invest in a small, cheap subwoofer. I was much happier once I did!

raychristenpaul
03-22-2008, 04:53 AM
I've got the IQ5's and set up in a small room. I also had a problem getting enough bass out of them.

Before getting the CD player or stands, I would probably invest in a small, cheap subwoofer. I was much happier once I did!

Ok, I will go for a sub but this may sounds silly but how do you connect it to my NAD C315BEE which is just a 2 channel. I was wondering for a bit on how I can do that.

What sub would go well with my iQ3, given for a simple and not top of the line set up. Yes, it's a humble set up guys....so any suggestion would be great.

For the speakers stand, I have seen the KEF ones and frankly they are not cheap. Why is that so. I was thinking on google speakers stand, look for a suitable design and get someone to built one for me in a garage. My dad would do that for me given all the tools in his workshop.

Thanks again.

Dishwasher
03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
My amp doesn't have a subwoofer output either, so I had to get a powered sub with speaker (high) level inputs.

I ended up getting one with a variable high-cut frequency knob. I think as long as you have one of these you'll be able to tune it in to match your setup perfectly.

I got one of the cheapest ones they had at the store that were equipped with speaker level inputs and have been very happy with it's performance for the price I paid (subs can get very expensive).

When I added the sub to my KEFs, it warmed everything right up but I still had that KEF detail that I liked. I need a bigger place too, so I can move my speakers further apart! :D

raychristenpaul
03-22-2008, 08:26 PM
My amp doesn't have a subwoofer output either, so I had to get a powered sub with speaker (high) level inputs.

I ended up getting one with a variable high-cut frequency knob. I think as long as you have one of these you'll be able to tune it in to match your setup perfectly.

I got one of the cheapest ones they had at the store that were equipped with speaker level inputs and have been very happy with it's performance for the price I paid (subs can get very expensive).

When I added the sub to my KEFs, it warmed everything right up but I still had that KEF detail that I liked. I need a bigger place too, so I can move my speakers further apart! :D

Thanks Dishwasher for sharing your experience. I am going to another shop to audition some sub and with my set up. Some shop do not carry NAD or KEF. Am also hunting for speaker stand. The ones from KEF that I saw yesterday was so nice n the base was shaped to sit the iQ3. Then again......$ not pretty.

Will have to venture more.

Where do you place your speakers? Mine are on a window ledge. What would be the ideal minimum distance between the 2 speakers?

Dishwasher
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dishwasher for sharing your experience. I am going to another shop to audition some sub and with my set up. Some shop do not carry NAD or KEF. Am also hunting for speaker stand. The ones from KEF that I saw yesterday was so nice n the base was shaped to sit the iQ3. Then again......$ not pretty.

Will have to venture more.

Where do you place your speakers? Mine are on a window ledge. What would be the ideal minimum distance between the 2 speakers?

Wow, good question. If you click on my gallery link you can see a pic of my humble setup (I need a bigger TV stand now).
I'm pretty new at this stuff too (and just joined this forum too), but someone suggested to give this a try to get a base idea for speaker placement. There's a button at the bottom for a speaker placement calculator.
http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

But it will take a lot of experimentation too since any room can be sonically different. I just "feel" that mine are better if they are about 8 feet apart, but I can't really afford to slide everything over since on the right side there is a small dining table. :(

I'm sure the other members have more advice for speaker placement.

raychristenpaul
03-24-2008, 07:09 PM
This is weird. I was trying different listening height for the iQ3 and to do that I placed empty DHL boxes underneath the speakers as a temporary stand since they are the only option apart from lots of books. Anyway, I was suprised that I am able to hear bass, not significant but yeah sounds kinda getting a bit of upgrade. Nice to listen to G. Armada at 10 o'clock (damn loud). However, if I turn the vol higher than that - bass are not that pretty to hear.

Since I may have to put my speakers on the w/ledge for a while - what do u guys think if I get a shorter stands? Would wooden stand be better or the all metal with spikes are much better?

raychristenpaul
03-24-2008, 07:25 PM
M getting a NAD cd player today....the C515BEE.....let's find out how it perform against my old Pioneer....by the way, I was informed by my dad that it is about 9 years old. (not 3-4) I mean wow, 9 years ago n they have come up with 24 bit DAC....probably not a fair duel....given the age.....but why not. Are there any higher than 24 bit DAC?

How do you guys make the comparison, by listening to the same song or with stacks of cds with different types of music?

I recalled when I first auditioned my iQ3, the guy in shop was telling me that if u r listening to this song, you go for this speaker, that song for that speaker and etc, etc..then I began to wonder. iQ3 - is it a all rounder speakers or just for certain music only?

bobsticks
03-25-2008, 06:50 PM
M getting a NAD cd player today....the C515BEE.....let's find out how it perform against my old Pioneer....by the way, I was informed by my dad that it is about 9 years old. (not 3-4) I mean wow, 9 years ago n they have come up with 24 bit DAC....probably not a fair duel....given the age.....but why not. Are there any higher than 24 bit DAC?

How do you guys make the comparison, by listening to the same song or with stacks of cds with different types of music?

I recalled when I first auditioned my iQ3, the guy in shop was telling me that if u r listening to this song, you go for this speaker, that song for that speaker and etc, etc..then I began to wonder. iQ3 - is it a all rounder speakers or just for certain music only?

Ayo,

Congrats on the NAD, new toys are fun aren't they? The advances in players have centered around oversampling and rate...which is variable and on which one could wrire chapters. At the end of the day just go with what sounds good to you.

At this point I would almost buy any kind of stand. Think outside the envelope. Maybe some plantstands or something. Granted you may pick up some resonations from them at high volumes but you liv ein a flat so I assume you're not doing concert level listening anyway. They won't be the ultimate answer but definitely better than having those KEFs pressed up against the glass. Give 'em some room and you'll come closer to replicating the sound you heard at your friend's house.

Some speakers excell at certain things but I think the KEFs are a good all-around speak. I've had many chances to replace mine with more "celebrated audiophile gear" but why? They do a good job holding down the fort in my computer system.

I think everyone would recommend using a few different discs with which you are familiar to test out speakers. I like to take a few different genres...jazz,classical,industrial...that are recorded really well. Usually I'll slip in a disc or two that isn't recorded very well also, because I want to know how revealing a speaker is of known faults. I keep the KEFs around because they are not hyper-revealing---that may sound like a criticism but it's not--and the speakers I use in my main set-up are. Speakers are no good if you can't listen to the type of music you like.

Peace

raychristenpaul
03-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Hmmmmm........my humble basic set up are getting a facelift......here goes.

CD Player : NAD C515 BEE
Amplifier : NAD C315 BEE
Speakers: KEF iQ3
Subwoofer: Infinity PS210 (pls comment)
Cables: MaxCable
Stand: metal plate with spike (thanks dad)

Playing songs of every genre that I could find from my cd collection, bass wise....you all heard me complaining from the start. Ain't anymore....more than adequate....pushing up the vol to barely 12 o'clock - feels like walls shaattered n about to crumble down wth me neighbours goin knockin my door. Superb performance by Infinity with all the way between 120-150 kHz crossover freq. Playing around wth it searching for the best balance n then.....found it and I am now a happy listener........

Got the warm bass, crisp n detail sounds, though it needed minor adjustment - depends on the songs. Bass are coming towards me when I am in my sweet spot. No distortation or muffled sound. Will leave my set on the window ledge n keeping the wooden panel blinder as the backdrop. Love the new C515, placing it on top of the C315. Matching colours n size. Looks really awesome - what more could I ask for.

Damnnnn......never thought that my toys gonna cost me.....need I say more....Thank you all wth all your sound advices. You all r the best.

"music - a remedy for a broken heart"

Dishwasher
03-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Congratulations! I bet it sounds pretty nice for the money spent. Looks like it can get damn loud too! :thumbsup:

raychristenpaul
03-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Congratulations! I bet it sounds pretty nice for the money spent. Looks like it can get damn loud too! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dishwasher......yes....it can get so damn loud n with a punch, too. I almost go for KEF sub but after auditioned it, I settled for Infinity. I mean I want all of the speakers are from KEF, perhaps good resale value (nah....not for a long long time!). I'm not an expert but Infinity have a punch n KEF have lesser punch. I guess to most people, it all depends how adequate is the bass for them. Well the sale person (the same one) told me that I can return it if I am not happy with it.:smile5:

audio amateur
03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
How much did you pay for it ?

raychristenpaul
03-26-2008, 08:54 AM
How much did you pay for it ?

I would say that the Infinity is about $400, not cheap though. There's a smaller one but chose the PS210 for future use. Might strike a good job n who knows, might go over the other pond. If u r listening to "the unforgiven", get ready to rearrange the pic frame on the wall. :5:

audio amateur
03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I would say that the Infinity is about $400, not cheap though. There's a smaller one but chose the PS210 for future use. Might strike a good job n who knows, might go over the other pond. If u r listening to "the unforgiven", get ready to rearrange the pic frame on the wall. :5:
So you don't know how much you paid for it?:p Have you bought it yet (the sub)?

raychristenpaul
03-26-2008, 04:43 PM
So you don't know how much you paid for it?:p Have you bought it yet (the sub)?

To be exact, it cost me $413. Bought it yesterday. :6: