Subwoofer, Is it dead? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer, Is it dead?

cokaznrebel
03-16-2008, 09:12 PM
So last night I was playing around with my subwoofer ( Part of my ARHC6 Home theater) by playing some bass mekanik tracks from my computer via SPDIF.

Accidently, i had the volume on my reciever (Pioneer VSXD711) a little too high combined with it being on "midnight loudness" mode. When the bass finally hit in the song, i immediatly turned the volume down as it was clearly too loud. After trying to slowly turn the volume back up, i realized that I was getting VERY little bass out of my woofer. I shut everything down unplugged both the reciever and the subwoofer, and set it aside for the night.

When I went to test it this morning, I was faced with the same problem. I am getting VERY minimal output from my subwoofer. If my reciever is on a high volume and my subwoofer level is up, i can hardly hear it playing. It is working somewhat as I can feel the Vibrations on the cone.

The subwoofer is self-powered and connected to the reciever via RCA sub-out cable.

thier is a fuse on the back of the subwoofer but its in-tact. I tested this by taking it out and the subwoofer will not power on. When the fuse is in, the sub powers on normally and makes a quite audible bump as it always has in the past. The sound when i turn the sub on is louder than any signal I can get out of it.

Thier is no tears on the cone and it looks fine.

Please let me know what you guys think could possibly be the problem!

hydroman
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Well... Open it up and power the woofer by another source (a boombox with speaker outs (the TV, etc) to see if it is ok. If so - consider buying a sperate amp and powering it that way. If it only barely plays - i bet the voice coil is smoked and you just need to replace the speaker (partsexpress!).

Let us know what you find...