powering 2 cv cls-15's with sony receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : powering 2 cv cls-15's with sony receiver

juggalojeff
03-16-2008, 06:54 PM
i currently have the sony str se591 receiver and recently ordered the cerwin vega cls-15's and after doing some reading online i'm a little frightened i'm not going to have enough power to utilize the full potential or i'll have just enough power to cause alot of distortion. my sony towers foam got crispy and brittle and when i pulled them out thinking i could just replace the woofer i came to the conclusion that sony is not in the business of helping the customer and the magnet was so small i made up my mind to go with a much larger speaker.i moved my basement speakers up to the main room they are pioneer 12" car subwoofers regular mids and tweets in a pioneer tower box i did some rewiring of them and installed an in line crossover inside and i'll tell you they sound great but are brown my whole rig is black down to the smoked glass and brown don't cut it.i thought of going with the cv900 amp to power the 15's but dont want to overmodulate the center and surrounds.my receiver is rated 100 watts per and i do have the a+b output that enables biwiring. now alot of the higher priced receivers are rated at the same or near, maybe up to 120 watts.all i see is that they can now handle the switching of video hdmi but no more real power.my system is used 50/50 movies and bassful music and yes i do have a self powered subwoofer (klipsch 10"downfiring)but i'd like to be vibrated off the couch. any suggestions before they get here and i frustrate myself even more over this situation. management((my wife)) finally okayed the cerwin's and spending even more to use them may not go over so well.....ty:mad2: :crazy:

pixelthis
03-17-2008, 01:43 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pixelthis
03-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Take the CERWINS back, they are crap squared.
Order a nice pair of similar priced Axioms (axiom.com)
THEY ARE NOT THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUT
miles ahead of the cerwins, for that matter so is your average clock radio.
THE pioneers are why they have Salvation army stores.
And you cant "bi-wire" with the Sony, BIAMP maybe, but since the A and B speakers
probably share the same amp it wont do any good.
Live with this receiver if you have to, but as soon as you can convince the
old sperm bank to "let you" get something like a nice sherwood or lower line Onkyo, almost anything would be better.
And welcome to the board:1:

juggalojeff
03-17-2008, 07:11 AM
whoa!! salvation army for the pioneers? you crazy or what i built them with utmost care and btw i do know what im doing i'd be done if they were black and i had another pair to put back in bsmnt rig.because they're sub's the bass from them is awsome paired with the 10" sub just haven't got the neighbor complaint yet i'm looking/trying for.also, i never heard cerwin vega and crap used in the same sentence.my friends little cerwins 6" two ways put out a wide spectrum of sound and they're probably 18 yrs. old. the reviews i've read (people who actually own the cls-15's)have said they are kick azz with the right amount of power ---ALOT.

juggalojeff
03-17-2008, 07:15 AM
o yeah btw axiom.com is for car transmissions!

juggalojeff
03-17-2008, 07:50 AM
'boy i'll tell you there is nowhere to go for speakers we have,worstbuy and circuitsh!ty around here who always have nothing in HT, too worried about selling the tv's at an unreasonable price and then try to push the monster and the goon squad dogs on you to put an hdmi end into an hdmi input and maybe match up a few other colors.it took me and the wife 12 hours from box to on with rebuilding the entertainment stand and eliminating the actual glass tv stand and bolting it straight to the base and rewiring the whole rig including the flex tubing and eliminating the vcr and tape deck(what are they?) and enjoyed every minute of it.the HT store that is close wanted to sell me a old denon that dont even have hdmi for 600 and some 6" "new wave skinny ass" nothings for 1500. i'm not big on the new small surround sound speakers i will sacrafice the space for the big and bad.i almost went with the cls-215's but realized i cant get the power to them they would consume.i hope i can get the power for the singles.

musicman1999
03-18-2008, 05:17 PM
It is axiomaudio.com. Pix what is up with that, i thought you didn't like Canadian speakers ?
Jeff Pix is right when you hook up to the A and B front speaker posts the power is split between the two, so really no help. I don't know that particular receiver but Sony often rates their receivers with 1 channel running, meaning it might produce 100 watts with 1 channel running but probably won't hit 70 with all channels running and you don't want to split that in half.

bill

bobsticks
03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
If ya like the Cerwin sound then go for it. It must be said that there are more detailed speakers out there but if you're a rocker on a budget so be it. Unfortunately, you're probably not gonna get the most out of them without some form of external/different amplification. Good luck and rawk on.

E-Stat
03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
i'm a little frightened i'm not going to have enough power to utilize the full potential or i'll have just enough power to cause a lot of distortion
Not having "enough power" does not in itself create distortion at all. It is caused by clipping or the inability to drive a particular load (don't worry - you don't have demanding speakers like electrostats). Just don't overdrive the amps. While C-Vs are not exactly known for their finesse, most are efficient and will play loudly with less power.

i do have the a+b output that enables biwiring.
That's a different concept. Bi-wiring requires separate cable runs from the power amplifier to separate parts of a single speaker, i.e. one to tweeter, one to woofer. Such speakers are normally supplied with a jumper in the back so you do not have to bi-wire.

Listen to them for a while. Turn the gain up until the sound starts getting a bit ragged, then turn it back a bit. Should be loud enough. :)

rw

juggalojeff
03-18-2008, 07:18 PM
thx guys any more input is always helpful.thinking of cv 900 to power them and of course my sony dont have the second audio out. i have the sub out wait 2 sub outs (lfe) dont think that will work.is the second audio out needed for amps?because currently both sub outs are hooked up to the sub.

RoadRunner6
03-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't give the Sony away yet. Those CW's are very sensitive (efficient...meaning they play considerably louder than the average speaker with the same amount of power) with a rating of 94dB's with one watt @ one meter. With 100 watts they will produce about 114dB's. That is very loud. If you think the Sony runs out of power and you hear distortion then you can update it later. Forget the big amp for now, you might not need it.

More importantly for home theater is to have the same speaker voicing all around (all 5 speakers from the same brand and also same series....the sub can be from any brand). If you want to spend more money then get the matching center channel speaker, CLS-6C and 2 surround speakers (surround speaker #4 and #5 are best on the side wall up high and just behind your seat rather than on the rear wall), CLS-6 from the same CLS series. These have both the same midrange and tweeter as your CLS-15's. This will give you an excellent consistant surround soundstage in 5.1 audio which makes for a very smooth enveloping sound. This will really make a huge difference for movie sound tracks and music in 5.1 versus using mismatched speakers.

A lot of people will will dis your Cerwin Vega's. OK, so they are not exactly high end or super accurate but they will play loud dynamic sound without huge amps. Many people think they are rather bright and edgey on the high frequencies. See what you think. You might be plenty happy with them.

Listen to them with the Sony in stereo first. If you like what you hear then go for the other 3 speakers. Go for a bigger amp later. Remember that adding double the power, like from 100 watts to 200 watts only gives you a sound level increase of 3dB's which is only a slight increase in loudness and not twice as loud as you might think. You need ten times as much power, 1000 watts, to get the perceived affect of twice as loud.

RR6

f0rge
03-19-2008, 07:17 AM
You need ten times as much power, 1000 watts, to get the perceived affect of twice as loud.

and by then you'd be deaf anyway :D

juggalojeff
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
man,assuming of course, thank you i dont know if its just what i wanted to hear that makes it sound so good or if that it is all true.sounds ok to me for a 50/50 system and yes i am thinking of going with the center channel cls-6,however let me run this by you on the rear perfectly placed like you said high and behind finally stopping my wife from moving the furniture around weekly,anyway i have 2 bose 201's hooked up to my B side of sony sitting 8" away from either side of center channel on top of ent.stand adding alot of the mids and highs to the front towers and was in hopes of moving them if cv 15's sound good stand alone. moving them to the surround spot.i may have to bolt a few of the portraits to the wall though.
f0rge....what did you say???huh?WHAT???fry is that you?
im going to try to put an image up of it pre 15's
what is bright and edgey ??on high end
thanks again'