Best use of a $1000 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best use of a $1000

stevemiro5
03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
First time to the site. Great resource!

I have a grand burning a hole in my pocket and am considering upgrading my CD player (currently using a Sony DVD player for audio) or buying a sub. I have a Rotel home theatre receiver, B&W 603 S4s with matching center channel (with an old pair of B&W 601s for surrounds.

I mostly listen to music in stereo using only the 603s - the home theater side is a secondary consideration.

Will I get a better listening experience by adding the sub or a better CD player (or universal DVD/CD player).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Feanor
03-16-2008, 08:47 AM

I have a grand burning a hole in my pocket and am considering upgrading my CD player (currently using a Sony DVD player for audio) or buying a sub. I have a Rotel home theatre receiver, B&W 603 S4s with matching center channel (with an old pair of B&W 601s for surrounds.

I mostly listen to music in stereo using only the 603s - the home theater side is a secondary consideration.

Will I get a better listening experience by adding the sub or a better CD player (or universal DVD/CD player).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Welcome to AR, Steve.

A sub will make more difference over all, especially for HT but also for music.

blackraven
03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
You have to ask yourself, are you happy with the bass or low frequency of your current system or not. If you are and you already have a sub then go for the CDP such as the Rega Apollo, Cambridge 740c and Marantz SA8001 SACDP, and Arcam CDP's. If your unhappy with the bass, then go for a sub and consider the Velodyne spl series, T series REL's and Martin Logan Dynamo.

Mr Peabody
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I personally lean toward a better CD player for overall better music reproduction. Are you currently using the Rotel's internal DAC for CD playback? I'd assume that would be much better than the DAC inside the Sony DVD player. Blackraven gave some good possibilities for upgrade.

stevemiro5
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like a toss up and I really need to add both the sub and the CDP.

I have the DVD player split between two inputs- one analog one digital and switch depending on the recording.

I tend to like the analog out a little better - more air- although it's not as hot.

zepman1
03-18-2008, 04:40 AM
Why not do both? You can pick up a very nice sub from SVS, HSU or Outlaw for around $500, and the other $500 will get you a Cambridge 640c or a Music Hall 25.2 cd player. Many other options out there, but that would be my approach.

Certainly there are better subs and CD players out there. But either CDP will be a huge upgrade over what you have. And since you don't have a sub...

audio amateur
03-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Why not do both? You can pick up a very nice sub from SVS, HSU or Outlaw for around $500, and the other $500 will get you a Cambridge 640c or a Music Hall 25.2 cd player. Many other options out there, but that would be my approach.

Certainly there are better subs and CD players out there. But either CDP will be a huge upgrade over what you have. And since you don't have a sub...
Definitely you can split..

blackraven
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Go for the marantz SA8001 SACDP for $700 and a mirage S8 sub for about $350. or what audio amateur said. Personally, I would put more money into the CDP if your favor music. The Mirage S8 sub is a good sub for the money. Check out the review on the Marantz CDP at www.stereophile.com. Its a class A rated CDP.

stevef22
03-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Dont forget about Oppo for your CD/DVD player. They make good CD/DVD Players for people on a budget. DV-980H is very cool, I have it. Paid $170 for it.
http://oppodigital.com/images/dv_980h_home.gif
Optimized Audio Features:

* High-resolution multi-channel digital audio output through HDMI supporting CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks.
* Direct Stream Digital (DSD) over HDMI (Requires compatible A/V receiver)
* Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs, compatible with 5.1-channel and down-mixed stereo.
* Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding
* 24-bit, 192kHz high resolution audio D/A converters
* Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II and Linear PCM support
* Built-in equalizer, channel trim, channel delay and lip-sync (audio delay) functions

http://oppodigital.com/dv983h/default.asp

budgetaudio76
03-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Any thoughts?

Thanks

you could send it my direction, preferrably in old coins 1800 and later, ill let ya know how whatever i buy with it sounds.:yesnod:

stevemiro5
04-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Finally decided - went for a Rotel CDP, Kimber Hero ICs and upgraded my main speaker cables.

...all I can say is whoa,,,I got an ear transplant!

It's like a different system. I can't get over the difference- space and bass. Who knew!

I guess I'll start jonesin' for a sub when the next grand becomes too hot for my pocket.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

Mr Peabody
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Congrads. Glad the move worked out for you.