Hi-End Formats Via HDMI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi-End Formats Via HDMI

bfalls
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm having major problems getting Hi-End formats out of my receiver using HMDI inputs. I'm using a PS3 as a Blu-ray player and connecting it via HDMI to a Sony STR-DA5300ES then via HDMI to my LCD display. I'm using a 1.3a compatable cables. Having most settings set to Auto, my receiver is only picking up two channel, yet the signal getting to the display displays the audio signal as DTS Master, so I know the receiver is receiving and passing the correct signal. I'm sure it's a setting somewhere and tried different changes, but no success. I'm far from being a novice. I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with the receiver. Anyone have this receiver and using it with a PS3? HELP!

musicman1999
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I did not think that the PS3 could do anything with DTS-HD MA except outoput it as 2 channel PCM which should be what you are getting.

bill

L.J.
03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
The PS3 can only decode and output PCM & TrueHD. DTSMA decoding is supposed to be coming sometime this year. How is it possible your AVR is displaying DTSMA....the PS3 cannot send a HD bitstream signal. When playing DTSMA tracks, you can only hear the core 1.5 mbps standard DTS track.

Press display on your PS3 remote and it will tell you what is being ouput.

f0rge
03-16-2008, 06:52 AM
are you getting dolby trueHD? if yes then dont worry about it because as others have said, PS3 has no dtsMA

rick390
04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I wonder if your problem is with the hdmi. When I got my new hdtv I hooked up hdmi from my dvd player to my tv input and then connected a digital coaxial to the tv output and to my Pioneer a/v receiver. Even though I knew my dvd player was sending a dolby digital signal out my receiver was only showing dolby pro logic. I had to finally run the digital coax from the dvd player to the a/v receiver and skip the tv then I had dolby digital. The hdmi wasn't delivering a dolby digital signal.

bfalls
04-09-2008, 04:40 AM
rick390, thanks for the input. I know I can can connect coax or optical from the PS3 and get DD/DTS. I want to be able to get the higher formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) which can only be provided via HDMI between the PS3 and the reciever. I've tried different settings on the PS3, but still only get two-channel. Anyone have success getting higher level formats out of their PS3? What options did you have to change?

f0rge
04-09-2008, 05:18 AM
is your ps3 output set to bitstream or pcm?

L.J.
04-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Check your audio output settings under the sound settings section. Choose HDMI and make sure that all supported formats are checked off.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/imgs/soundoutput003.jpg

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html

Also, the PS3 will do the decoding. Go to BD/DVD settings and set your BD/DVD audio output format(HDMI) to Linear PCM.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/bdsettings.html#1470

Play a BR that supports PCM or TrueHD. Make sure to select the HD track under audio setup on the BD pop up menu.

Press display and the PS3 will show exactly what is being decoded and output to your AVR.

Your AVR will not display DTSMA or TrueHD. The PS3 decodes and outputs as PCM so this is what your AVR is seeing. Your AVR display should say MC PCM or MC Input or something like that.