Help with wire connection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with wire connection

RichardinSalinas
03-15-2008, 02:13 PM
While installing ceiling speakers during remodel my contactor connected the speaker wires to the terminals without noting which postive or negative terminal the stripped line wire or the non-stripped wire was attached to. Without going into the attic and pulling out the insulation is there any way to be sure I connect the right way on the amp?

budgetaudio76
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
play some music and sit down between the speakers and hear if the sound is localized between the speakers. if the soundstage sounds wide then the polarity is mixed up shouldnt hurt anything if you play them this way but sounds better with correct connection e.g polarity.

markw
03-18-2008, 03:59 AM
While installing ceiling speakers during remodel my contactor connected the speaker wires to the terminals without noting which postive or negative terminal the stripped line wire or the non-stripped wire was attached to. Without going into the attic and pulling out the insulation is there any way to be sure I connect the right way on the amp?Usually one is one color and the other another or one has a stripe on it and the other doesn't, or one has a raised ridge and the other is smooth.

If so, just semake thet the same wire goes to the same connection on both ends. i.e, the white wire (or the ridge or the stripe) goes to the positive on both the amp and the speaker.

hermanv
03-20-2008, 09:33 PM
If you can remove the speaker grilles and see the cones, for several seconds connect a 1 1/2Volt double A battery. Decide if the cone moves towards or away from you. (This is far easier with two people). Mark all the wires where the cone moves toward you as the positive wire.