Friday - Song of the Day [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday - Song of the Day

Whooptee
03-05-2004, 11:53 AM
What song is playing right now? You can answer with whatever song happens to be playing right this second or you can go put on something special to make us all think you're cool. :cool:

If I wasn't so lazy I'd get up and go put something special on myself. But I am, so I'll just have to go with what's on. Right now, I'm listening to:

Cibo Matto - Stereo Type A and the song Blue Train is playing.

Cibo Matto plays a funky, eclectic, trip hoppy sort of music with a Japanese girl singing. It's usually pretty upbeat, with lots of horns, samples, synths and a large nod to Burt Bacharach, but this particular song has a slow, menacingly repetitive heavy metal guitar line going. Juxtaposed with the pixie voiced and heavily accented singer works to good effect.

Well, this took so long to write that the Cibo Matto cd is over and the player is switching to the next disc. I wonder what's next, because I don't remember what I loaded up yesterday. Hmm, sounds like Beth Orton, though I'm not sure if it's Central Reservation or Trailer Park. I'm pretty sure it's the former, but I don't know the name of the song and I'm not getting up to go look. Ok I went and looked, it's Stolen Car, but now it's over and Sweetest Decline is playing. What a beautiful song. I love Beth Orton. So, my five discs in the player now are Cibo Matto, Beth Orton, Dot Allison - Afterglow, Cat Power - Moon Pix and Eszter Balint - Flicker.

In case you missed my post the other day. Eszter Balint has a new album coming out on March 9 called Mud. I know that a few of you would really dig her. AMG already has a review of it and it sounds like the perfect album to me. I can't wait!

Well, this post kind of went off tangent, so the question remains:

What're you listening to?

John

nobody
03-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Listening to Los Straitjackets right now. Song is Can You Dig It? from their Supersonic Guitars in 3-D disc. Excellent retro surf and garage style instrumentals from a trio of guys in Mexican Wrestling masks. What's not to like?

3-LockBox
03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes: Then

Slosh
03-05-2004, 12:14 PM
"On Ships Of Gold" - The Black Heart Procession...

oops, CD just ended and now "3rd Planet" - Modest Mouse is on.

Dusty Chalk
03-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Mussorgsky, Promenade, from "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Oh, yeah? Which one?

The second one. Oops, just changed to "The Old Castle".

Gresh
03-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Spinanes - Hawaiin Baby. It just makes me smile.

DarrenH
03-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Children Of The Grave - Black Sabbath

Great effin' tune!

Troy
03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Some nameless track off that boring "The Tangent" album.

Yawn.

Mr MidFi
03-05-2004, 02:54 PM
"A Shot in the Arm" from Wilco's underrated Summerteeth disc.

The ashtray says, you were up all night...

tentoze
03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
What song is playing right now? You can answer with whatever song happens to be playing right this second or you can go put on something special to make us all think you're cool. :cool:

John
Listening to Wandering Angus from Jolie Holland's Catalpa cd, because I think it is a cool tune, in a long-dead-English-poet-wrote-the-lyrics-and-Jolie-sings-them-like-a-wraith-escaped-from-a-coal-mine kinda way.

DPM
03-05-2004, 03:58 PM
...don't cha know that I lo-ove you-oo.

Now where's my lava lamp?

Dave M

Audio Girl
03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
"I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe on my iTunes library. It's mighty sweet ,,, the song AND iTunes.

Happy Weekend!
Mary

tentoze
03-05-2004, 09:06 PM
What're you listening to?

John
Just to recycle the thread a bit- "Holy High" from Ghost's Hypnotic Underworld cd. Lordy, it's good- an Irish jig with lyrics by a Japanese experimental band. Can't get more surreal and more better, as Justin Wilson used to say.....

hifitommy
03-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Dusty Chalk (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=230043) Mussorgsky, Promenade, from "Pictures at an Exhibition"

have you checked out Tomita's version of this masterpiece? if not, youre in for a real treat imho.

Dusty Chalk
03-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Oh, yeah, that's probably the second version I heard, after Emerson Lake & Palmer's.

hifitommy
03-14-2004, 01:15 PM
by ELP is not listenable for me. at least tomita honors the music. of course, if it leads one to the real music, then i guess its ok.